• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFAT Rewrite

NDB

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Greetings and Happy Thanksgiving to the users of this forum.

I have used the search function in an attempt to answer my own question I have not come across any information from previous topics. From what I have gathered, a third attempt at the CFAT is an extremely rare case. I noticed that one of the FAQ's on the forces.ca page has partially addressed this :

In order to be eligible to write the aptitude test a third time you must be registered in a substantial academic program at the post-secondary level (since the last time you wrote the test) and experiencing no apparent difficulty. With proof that you are successfully completing post secondary education Recruiting staff can submit a request for a file review and decision on your case.

So my questions are:  How often is this attempted, approved, and or denied?  What are your views on people taking the CFAT a third time? I recently consulted a recruiter and was told that they had only been there for a few months, so could not comment.

Thank you for your time

I wonder if this question has something to do with this from your previous profile?

skyhigh10 said:
Whole process seems to be a bit ...... mental.

I'm in the reserves and I'm transferring from Armoured to ACISS. When I originally wrote my CFAT I qualified for Sig, Lineman and LCIS (what later became ACISS) now I'm being told I need to re-write it as it's only good for five years. This is news to me and my unit since as far as I was aware it was good for life. Does anyone have any information on this?

I too would be interested in a response to this. I was told in may of 2013 that the CFAT was good for life and that it was highly unlikely that I would be allowed a rewrite.

Depends on when you originally wrote the CFAT.  I believe that if you wrote it prior to 2010, then you will need to do a re-write as the previous test results cannot be converted over to the new scoring matrix.  You may also have to write the TSD as well.

DAA said:
Depends on when you originally wrote the CFAT.  I believe that if you wrote it prior to 2010, then you will need to do a re-write as the previous test results cannot be converted over to the new scoring matrix.  You may also have to write the TSD as well.

Never saw that.  Twice I put in a CT post 2010, and twice I was contacted by brokers and was never told to rewrite.

DAA said:

That might explain things as I originally wrote mine in 2008.

Hatchet Man said:
Never saw that.  Twice I put in a CT post 2010, and twice I was contacted by brokers and was never told to rewrite.

I'm seeing this more and more often mainly at the CFRC level for applicants with prior service or who previously wrote the CFAT.  2010 should be close, but I will have to check again.  It is definitely sometime around then when they replaced the CFAT with a newer version.

I originally wrote mine in 2001. When asked at CFRC Halifax if any of the applicants had taken it before, I said I had, and was told they would need to look into it further to find out, because it hadn't shown up previously. Three days later they called me and said I would not be able to retake the CFAT.

bLUE fOX said:
I originally wrote mine in 2001. When asked at CFRC Halifax if any of the applicants had taken it before, I said I had, and was told they would need to look into it further to find out, because it hadn't shown up previously. Three days later they called me and said I would not be able to retake the CFAT.

Entirely possible as this is a relatively new policy and only came into effect within the last year or so.

I know this is a little late,  but I wrote mine in 2008 and I just did VOT this year and was told to never re-write as I scored very high.  So that pre-2010 era CFAT score should be good, from what I understand.

So I just finished my CFAT today (December 8th) and I was just shy of qualifying to become an officer. They said I can't apply to rewrite for 3 months putting my next test date somewhere in March. I want to become a Signals Officer and I have pretty good marks (high 80's - low 90's) in all classes. If I score quite well on my rewritten CFAT, is there a good chance that I will be accepted for BMOQ in January? I just want to know if I should be ruling out RMC for university at this point in time, given that after I write the CFAT, I still have to go through everything else. I do notice that Signals is in high demand so that might lean in my favor.

Thanks in advance!

Rofltropter said:
So I just finished my CFAT today (December 8th)

Rofltropter said:
Aptitude completed:Oct 8th

How many times have you challenged the CFAT? Was there a typo?

Rofltropter said:
They said I can't apply to rewrite for 3 months putting my next test date somewhere in March.

Rofltropter said:
If I score quite well on my rewritten CFAT, is there a good chance that I will be accepted for BMOQ in January?

If you wrote the test in December and you have to wait three months in order to write it again, chances are pretty slim that you will be able to go to BMOQ in January...

Having said that, if you were to be accepted into ROTP at this point, it would be for the academic year starting in Sep 16.  That would normally see you on a BMOQ course in the summer anyway (ROTP BMOQ is a different course from the regular BMOQ and is only run in the summer).

Your best bet may be to keep going with the process, prepare for your next shot at the CFAT and hope for the best.  However, keep in mind that officer selection (ROTP or otherwise) for the CF is competitive.  Merely achieving the minimum standard on the CFAT for officer is unlikely to be sufficient.  When there are far more applicants than places available, chances are that only the ones who excelled on the test are likely to be selected.

Hopefully, you just had a bad day when you initially wrote the test and you will knock it out of the park next time.  Good luck!

Has anyone been allowed to rewrite their CFAT if they already qualified for all their trades the first time around? I wasn't feeling my best and I should have rescheduled my CFAT but went ahead with it anyways. I'm confident I can do much better if I wrote it again but I'm not sure if they'll let me for this reason alone.

... if you've qualified for everything you want to apply for, why would you want to rewrite it?
As a side note, if you were allowed to rewrite it (which I don't see being approved) and did worse, your 2nd score stands regardless of your 1st attempt being a higher score.

Your question to your recruiting staff should be "how competitive is my file with my current score?"

Does anybody how long is the waiting time for a CFAT rewrite date and time?? I requested for a rewrite date and time January 14, 2019 and I still have not heard anything?

Although, I was sent a Rewrite Consent Form January 18, 2019. Can someone advise me?

Thanks

tenahpay said:
Does anybody how long is the waiting time for a CFAT rewrite date and time?? I requested for a rewrite date and time January 14, 2019 and I still have not heard anything?

Although, I was sent a Rewrite Consent Form January 18, 2019. Can someone advise me?

Thanks

"You can request a "CFAT Rewrite" 30-days after your first attempt.  But it will require a "Waiver" to be processed and you'll be asked to provide information on what you've done to prepare and be successful on your 2nd attempt.  So keep a "log" of your study/preparation habits, materials you've used, etc, etc.  The approval for your 2nd attempt can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 2-3 months before it is approved and the same applies for both Regular and Reserve Force applicants. " - Said by a recruiter on the Canadian Forces Applicants Facebook group

My experience:
I did not qualify for my trades as I did not score enough on my first attempt, they said I could rewrite it in 3 months, however that was back in 2017. I rewrote it an year later and qualified for all trades.

My preparation advice:
The CFAT app would be sufficient. There are also a lot of other resources available to prepare for it.

Math advice:
Practice lots! Math is something you learn by practicing.

Spatial Ability:
Practice lots! Use process of elimination to get rid of some choices.

Verbal Skills:
English is something I have always struggled with. Use process of elimination to get rid of some choices.

Best of luck!

Buck_HRA said:
... if you've qualified for everything you want to apply for, why would you want to rewrite it?
As a side note, if you were allowed to rewrite it (which I don't see being approved) and did worse, your 2nd score stands regardless of your 1st attempt being a higher score.

Your question to your recruiting staff should be "how competitive is my file with my current score?"

Because the CAF reserves the right to adjust the cut off for various trades/occupations as the number of open spots dwindle for that fiscal year. For example, let's say you wrote the CFAT in March, and chose a certain trade, you are still going through the application process and by November of the same year they are down to the last 5 spots for the occupation you applied for and they raise the minimum score required on the CFAT to make the pool as competitive as possible. Now, if you don't meet that new score, you automatically get knocked out that year and have to choose another occupation or temporarily close your file until the next fiscal year and hope spots open up and the CFAT minimum scores goes back down to what it was.  Even if you are incredibly competitive in other sections of your application, for example if you did really well on your interview, or scored exceptionally above average and well beyond the cut off for the job specific tests like the MOST or CFASC aka Air Crew Selection, it won't matter, that door just shut in your face for the time being and may or may not reopen next year.

BlueFalcon109 said:
Because the CAF reserves the right to adjust the cut off for various trades/occupations as the number of open spots dwindle for that fiscal year. For example, let's say you wrote the CFAT in March, and chose a certain trade, you are still going through the application process and by November of the same year they are down to the last 5 spots for the occupation you applied for and they raise the minimum score required on the CFAT to make the pool as competitive as possible. Now, if you don't meet that new score, you automatically get knocked out that year and have to choose another occupation or temporarily close your file until the next fiscal year and hope spots open up and the CFAT minimum scores goes back down to what it was.  Even if you are incredibly competitive in other sections of your application, for example if you did really well on your interview, or scored exceptionally above average and well beyond the cut off for the job specific tests like the MOST or CFASC aka Air Crew Selection, it won't matter, that door just shut in your face for the time being and may or may not reopen next year.

I’m not a Recruiter, so this is strictly me questioning the reasoning in general here.

But why is it fair for someone to get to do the test again simply because they want a better score, when the majority of applicants went in for their trade, wrote the test blind and waited? I hardly think it’s appropriate for someone to have the advantage of writing the test more than once when they performed satisfactorily the first time around. If an applicant failed to qualify for any (or all) of their trade selections, or were super-sick and off their game or something, that’s one thing. But being allowed to rewrite solely based on the fact that an applicant wants to try and gain an upper hand on what may, or may not, take place during selection is really questionable, as far as I’m concerned.

Back