• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFB Borden gets first female commander

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
CFB Borden gets first female commander
By Sarah Ratchford
Article Link

COL. Tammy Harris never felt being a woman held her back when it came to moving up the ranks in the military.

That attitude appears to have paid off as Harris was sworn in as the first female base commander at CFB Borden on Friday, assuming responsibility for Canada's largest training base.

"I can honestly say, throughout my career, that I've never experienced any barriers because I've been a woman," she said in an interview with The Canadian Press.

"I've always been able to do what I've wanted to do based on my own skills and abilities, and the challenges that I've put on myself."

Her career has taken her to Germany, Afghanistan and a number of Canadian provinces, and throughout Harris said she always felt free to pursue any goals she set for herself.

The base she now commands -- located about 100 kilometres north of Toronto -- trains an average of 15,000 military personnel each year. It also employs about 3,250 members of the military and around 1,500 civilians.

As she takes command, the 45-year-old emphasizes that accomplishments aren't about being male or female. Drive and passion are what get people where they want to go, in her view.

"Whatever your goals are, the opportunity is there to achieve them if you so desire," she said. "Gender does not really play into the equation."

This isn't the first major appointment for Harris. She was the first woman in the country to hold the position of wing commander in Gander, N.L., one of the country's busiest search-and-rescue areas.

Her goals in her new post include continuing on with the Forces' efforts to promote bilingualism so all courses in the military can be offered in both French and English.

Harris also wants to focus on the infrastructure at CFB Borden during her two-year tenure at the base.

The stepmother of three daughters said she wants to modernize training practices in place now so new recruits can spend as much time with their families as possible while still learning what it means to be in the military.

The native of Annapolis Valley, N.S., started with the military in 1987.

It wasn't for another two years that women were given the right to take part in combat. Harris was in Europe at the time, but she said anything that grants women choice is a good thing.

Despite the fact the military is still a male-dominated field made up of only about 15 per cent women, Harris said it's not one of her priorities to specifically recruit young women.
More on link

The Canadian Press and CBC are reporting that this appointment makes Colonel Harris the first female base commander in Canada. To my understanding, that's simply not the case. In fact, isn't this not even her first posting as a base commander? Wasn't she previously commander CFB Gander/9 Wing?

Ostrozac said:
The Canadian Press and CBC are reporting that this appointment makes Colonel Harris the first female base commander in Canada. To my understanding, that's simply not the case. In fact, isn't this not even her first posting as a base commander? Wasn't she previously commander CFB Gander/9 Wing?

Oh but if that is the case, it's Gander in middle-of-nowhere Newfoundland and not Borden-1 hour 38 min-from-the-centre-of-the-universe Ontario so it's obviously a HUGE deal!  ::)

;D

Ostrozac said:

According to this, in 2007, as a LCol, "... she was appointed the Commander of 9 Wing Gander and relinquished command in June 2009 when she left for a deployment in Afghanistan as the Commanding Officer of the Canadian Element Roto 8 for COMKAF and the Chief J5 Planner for NATO on the Kandahar Airfield and Base."

What's wrong with her Official Portrait in that article?

Is it the beginning of a new standard for the RCAF and that Training Base in particular??

I should print it off and hand it to all my RCAF types to back them up next time they are on parade ... should the RSM start yelling (and he will - just as he did for CoC practice when one dared show in the beret with 3Bs).

ArmyVern said:
What's wrong with her Official Portrait in that article?

Is it the beginning of a new standard for the RCAF and that Training Base in particular??

I should print it off and hand it to all my RCAF types to back them up next time they are on parade ... should the RSM start yelling (and he will - just as he did for CoC practice when one dared show in the beret with 3Bs).

She's not wearing her wedge at a "jaunty angle"?

Ostrozac said:

All the articles I can find state "first female base commander of CFB Borden" and mention her previously having been the Wg Comd at Gander - pretty much the same as the original article posted here does.

Not that that makes it news either.

Good2Golf said:
She's not wearing her wedge at a "jaunty angle"?

No. She's wearing her beret which is a no-no IAW Dress Regs. Only tan people get to do that.  ;)

ArmyVern said:
No. She's wearing her beret which is a no-no IAW Dress Regs. Only tan people get to do that.  ;)

Why do you gotta go and make it racial?  ;D

ArmyVern said:

Hmmm ... on the link (Director Senior Appointment) I posted just above she's wearing a wedge at a very pedestrian angle.

Harris_Col_Sep_10.jpg

E.R. Campbell said:
Hmmm ... on the link (Director Senior Appointment) I posted just above she's wearing a wedge at a very pedestrian angle.

Harris_Col_Sep_10.jpg

I've attached in the photo that is included in the original article in my previous post. It is an official portrait; she is sporting a beret.

Personally, maybe they released the wrong photo of her to the media ... but why even sit for an official portrait in unauthorized orders of dress? Or maybe the media, in this case, just pulled one of her in an unauthorized beret from the vast archives of her portraits that show up when one google-foos her name + images. Would that be acceptable for the troops to do?

My copy of the Dress Pam (Version 2011-06-01) certainly says that wearing a beret with Air Force DEU is approved with number 3 (service dress). Air Force DEU number 1 (ceremonial) remains no berets. Chapter 5, Para 5. So I think that picture of the Colonel in number 3 (DEU Tunic and Ribbons) is perfectly legit.

Has there been a change? Sometimes higher headquarters will order changes, but not actually update the pam.

Ostrozac said:
My copy of the Dress Pam (Version 2011-06-01) certainly says that wearing a beret with Air Force DEU is approved with number 3 (service dress). Air Force DEU number 1 (ceremonial) remains no berets. Chapter 5, Para 5. So I think that picture of the Colonel in number 3 (DEU Tunic and Ribbons) is perfectly legit.

Has there been a change? Sometimes higher headquarters will order changes, but not actually update the pam.

If it's changed to that now ... then that's a change.

Maybe it changed while I was deployed or on the french course and I missed it ... as the RSM must have too. And the troop who got the extras (not one of mine).

ArmyVern said:
If it's changed to that now ... then that's a change.

It has been authorized, as far as i know, since 2007 at a minimum. (That's the year i made the mistake of asking my SCWO of it what he was wearing was authorized and he produced the reference that said "yes")

The current version of CFP-265 has been valid since last year.

A RSM and SSM who doesn't know the dress regs? Lot's of weird wonderful stuff happens in the army...but that aint one of em! ;D

dogger1936 said:
A RSM and SSM who doesn't know the dress regs? Lot's of weird wonderful stuff happens in the army...but that aint one of em! ;D

Seen it once at an unnamed unit the resides at CFB Kingston. Not only did they not know dress regs but also didn't know the proper conduct of an honour guard. ;D

CDN Aviator said:
It has been authorized, as far as i know, since 2007 at a minimum. (That's the year i made the mistake of asking my SCWO of it what he was wearing was authorized and he produced the reference that said "yes")

The current version of CFP-265 has been valid since last year.

Makes sense. It certainly wasn't authorized when I was a member of the AF. I'm also quite certain it wasn't when I was the CLO and digging through dress regs daily for the RSMs.  Good to know it's changed though ... can't wait for next parade.  ;D

Back