• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFB Borden gets first female commander

• Thread starter Thread starter GAP
  • Start date Start date
Ostrozac said:
The dress pam officially calls the light blue uniforms "air force distinctive environmental uniforms" -- and that was the case even when we didn't actually have anything designated as an air force. Now that we do, maybe Royal Canadian Air Force distinctive environmental uniform is actually the proper name of the garments.

Why? Many people wearing it are not members of the Organization Formerly Known as Air Command. They are members of other commands, groups, and organizations including RCN and CA. If those people are not "RCAF", it is less than logical to refer to their uniforms as you suggest. That is why the term "environmental" is used to distinguish what are three different colours/versions of Canadian Armed Forces uniforms.

We still do not have an "air force" as is commonly understood internationally. The "RCAF" is an environmental command that generates forces, but which does not conduct operations overseas. CJOC, and prior to its creation, CEFCOM, does that part. Those are as much CJOC, or CANSOFCOM, or CFRG uniforms - and RCN and CA ones as well, because some members of those Environmental Commands wear them.

Loachman said:
Then there was Base Dress for those with light and dark blue dress uniforms, and Garrison Dress for those with green ones. That meant that, for several years, the Army guys wore plain olive green combat clothing in the field, and a cheap polyester camouflage jacket on base, with the old dark green work dress trousers. The camouflage colours were selected to blend/co-ordinate with the trousers rather than any particular environment.

The trial version appeared in Germany during my time there. My first encounter occurred at the Mess at Happy Hour one Friday night, when a bunch of Vandoo Officers strutted in. That jacket had a different camouflage pattern (lighter and more natural colours than the final version) and olive green trousers (not adopted due to cost; there were tons of work dress trousers in the supply system). One of the teachers that we were plying with cheap booze asked who they were. "Canadians. Vandoos", said I. "Those are the new Garrison Dress uniforms". I only new that because I'd heard about them, and recognized the Vandoo flashes on their shoulders. "Oh", said one of the teachers. "That looks like something that Colonel Qadaffy would wear".

Another memorable uniform occasion: I was attached to the SSF (now 2 CMBG) staff in the early nineties, shortly after the new uniforms had been inflicted upon us. While strolling in to work one morning, I noticed that the two female Corporal pass-checkers at the entrance to the HQ building were dressed almost, but not quite, identically. Both were wearing dark green trousers, dark green "combat" sweaters, and dress green shirts, but with different rank insignia. One had the metal pin-on type on her shirt collar with plain green (no rank insignia) dress-type slip-ons on her sweater, and the other one had the dark-gold work dress rank slip-ons but no shirt collar insignia. Not knowing which one was wrong, I tracked down the Force Sergeant-Major and enquired about it. He said that it depended upon what trousers each was wearing. Rank insignia was determined strictly by the lower half of the uniform, which was the same colour in both cases but a different fabric and slightly different style, and completely independent of the upper half, which consisted of exactly the same shirts and sweaters. I expressed the illogic of this, and he just smiled and shook his head, and then told me about the previous week's Commander's O Group. He had paraded seventy-five soldiers through that, all in different orders of dress, to make that same point. He said that he could have shown almost twice as many variations, but ran out of available soldiers before he ran out of uniform variations.

What a gong show...

I remember those jackets from my childhood, my dad snagged a couple before they became a thing of the past.

What were they called again? Wasn't Helly Hansen was it? Something with a Klein in it? I don't remember, but to say the least, apparently everyone hated them and the whole Work Dress/Garrison dress fiasco. Glad we've gone away from that mess.

Loachman said:
Why? Many people wearing it are not members of the Organization Formerly Known as Air Command. They are members of other commands, groups, and organizations including RCN and CA. If those people are not "RCAF", it is less than logical to refer to their uniforms as you suggest. That is why the term "environmental" is used to distinguish what are three different colours/versions of Canadian Armed Forces uniforms.

We still do not have an "air force" as is commonly understood internationally. The "RCAF" is an environmental command that generates forces, but which does not conduct operations overseas. CJOC, and prior to its creation, CEFCOM, does that part. Those are as much CJOC, or CANSOFCOM, or CFRG uniforms - and RCN and CA ones as well, because some members of those Environmental Commands wear them.

If another member of the ADF tells me again how "streamlined and efficient" we are, I'll show them this post.  That'll fix 'em.

Hey, I still have my 'cam work dress jacket'; I wear it this time of year in the bush cutting wood when it's a bit cool but not too cold. Crap, my last (and final) move 2 years I found my old 'bus driver work jacket x 2 and a dickie' which are now in pieces in the garage rag bin. 'Couse I couldn't wrap the old bus driver work dress around my upper leg let alone put it on. Can't believe I was ever that slim 30+ years ago.... :(

CDN Aviator said:
Correct.

Now it is different.

For example, i wear the "air" DEU but for 11 months i was a member of ADM(IM), not the RCAF so my blue uniform could not be said to be an "RCAF" uniform as i was not a member of the RCAF.
And just to muddy the identity waters further, a message went out shortly after the name change extending the "RCN" identity to all personnel wearing that uniform. The RCAF, on the other hand, has not done this.

Back