• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFB Edmonton nurse charged with trafficking steroids

Pieman said:
This line of thinking conveniently ignores a number of potential factors. Such as, is this a radical change in behavior for this person? Given the position, rank, education of the woman the odds are more likely she hasn't engaged in this kind of activity in the past. So simply applying a broad label of a criminal to her doesn't negate the claim.

After the long career I've had I can provide you an extensive list of high ranking, well educated or otherwise well behaved individuals who have run afoul of the law without any PTSD issues.  Some of them may have been diagnosed or not as well but none of the factors you note have any bearing on their likelihood to commit a crime.

Pieman said:
Certainly possible. I am interpreting the rather blatant and clumsy attempts to hide her actions as some form of a cry for help.

Or maybe she was just dumb.  As per my previous post, just because someone is edumacted in a respected field doesn't make them smart.  My opinion is that people who juice aren't always the smartest to begin with, I don't care how careful they are with their dosages.

RCDcpl said:
Not really sure what comments you're referring to, nor do I see where I deviated from the discussion that was ongoing....

RCDcpl said:
While I admire the fact you've read a book or two.....in the real world crimes are committed by people with education and good jobs all the time...crimes you wouldn't expect either.  Theft is VERY commonly committed by well off people and when I ask them why they did it the answer is either "I don't know" or "for the thrill"

I'm speaking from real world experience when I say that ones social, economic, or educational status don't mean much when it comes to crimes being committed.

As for factors being factored in during trial.....typically that's only for sentencing and have no bearing on a finding of guilt.
RCDcpl said:
The factors are irrelevant....she committed a crime and was caught.

The fact that you think someone's education level or job means she probably hasn't committed crimes in the past is laughable......very laughable.

You're talking about another poster's opinion. No need for the sarcasm. I simply told you to knock it off and just stay with the discussion without the peanut gallery remarks.

You may have thought you were being subtle enough that no one would notice. You were wrong.

And don't turn this into a bun fight.

---Staff---

I admit I'm having trouble reconciling "don't tell anyone because I'll lose my job" with "I didn't know what I was doing". Medical condition or not it strains the bounds of credulity.

Pieman said:
Certainly possible. I am interpreting the rather blatant and clumsy attempts to hide her actions as some form of a cry for help.

Anyone committing that sort of crime will blatantly try to cover it up...doesn't make it a cry for help.  If she were giving this stuff away, yeah, I might buy that.  However, this lady was selling the stuff.  From a clinical point of view, I see someone who obviously didn't think they'd get caught, much less charged.  There are more than a few folks involved with steroid abuse and trafficking which are in utter disbelief, when caught, that they've actually done anything wrong, since they're so wrapped up in themselves and think that the laws weren't written for them.

MM

I'll be interested in seeing the results from the professional investigation by the College of Nurses and how any of her statement to the court may or may not impact upon their determinations and sanctions.

She  alone is responsible for her actions and must be held to account for them. We have far too much "I had a bad childhood" BS among other excuses for criminal behaviour.

Any person who has served and their lawyer doesn't try to use the PTSD card needs to find a new lawyer............it has taken the place of "I'm ADHD" as the "get a lower sentence" card.
Get used to hearing it a lot more....................

I am starting to wonder if you don't know this person or something.  You don't seem to be willing to consider the flip side of the coin;  she knew what she was doing, knew it was wrong and made efforts to ensure it wasn't uncovered, took a chance, got caught and is now playing the PTSD card as a mitigating factor to lessen the impact her illegal actions will have on the remainder of her life and career.

I don't know this person, and I fail to see just because I have a different opinion than yours would indicate ulterior motives on my part. Perhaps now I'm starting to wonder you know this person and don't like her, so are inclined to take any stance that will put her in the worst light. See how I did that?

I have considered the 'flip side' (which seems to be the opinion of the vast majority posting here) and rejected it based upon the view points I have outlined in my first post. I presented my thoughts as an alternative look at the situation. I feel no need to repeat them, so please go back and have a look if unclear.

Bumped with the latest:
A nurse at the Canadian Forces Base Edmonton hospital who lost her job as a result of selling steroids to soldiers had her sentence appeal shot down Tuesday.

Helene Bouchard -- a 50-year-old ex-soldier and retired competitive bodybuilder -- was fined $1,500 in June after earlier pleading guilty to charges of trafficking in steroids and attempting to export a controlled substance.

Defence lawyer Robert Hladun argued before the Court of Appeal of Alberta that the sentencing judge made a legal error when he fined Bouchard instead of giving her a conditional discharge, which could have resulted in her not getting a criminal record and not losing her job.

However, the three-judge panel unanimously rejected the appeal, saying the lower court judge did conduct the proper analysis and his sentence was not inappropriate ....

Back