• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFB Shilo June 28 + July 3

Kurbo said:
Hi RCA, not getting anything when clicking on Shilo link...is there a syntax error maybe?

Thanks

That link is only available on the DIN.

I might be in Shilo this summer from BMQ and SQ, but it's still up in the air. I submitted by application at the beginning of April and they said the whole process would take approximately 10 weeks. So that puts it at the middle of June. I still have the PT test and medical to do along with the interview. If all goes well and I get accepted in time, then I have to be sworn in, issued kit, etc. Ah well, it's all out of my hands now, just waiting for the call from the recruiter telling me to come in for the tests. Meh, if I don't get on BMQ/SQ this summer, it will most likely be Shilo next summer (unless they have fall/winter BMQ/SQ here, which I am unsure if they do or not.)

Doh don't know why you guys have to wait for your appointments. My recruitment center got me to schedule each one directly after finishing the previous step. Ie did the CFAT, they had me schedule the interview before I left. Finished the interview, had my medical scheduled with the option of my Physical on the same day. I decided to schedule the physical after my medical though. All in all got the steps done within 3 weeks I think, and that was only because I talked to the wrong person about my interview, they kept telling me the interviewing officer was booked and the duty officer would need to schedule more time slots, told me that about 3 times until I talked to a different person who was all "What? Theres been time slots here for a few weeks.."

Fall bmq/sq would be ideal.  I'm surprised they don't run them twice a year.  Maybe with the newly elected gov, things might change.  It sure would beat having to wait a whole year.

I taught as a section 2I/C on a QL2 course in Shilo a few years back, and there's nothing wrong with it as far as bases go.  It's better run than Wainwright (my personal bugbear, so I may be biased), after you get used to them the Artillery aren't so bad, and you do have Brandon a short hop away.  I do have a problem with the hordes of mosquitoes out in the training area, but you'll learn to live with them.  Promise.  ;)

But, my, is it going to get interesting when 2 PPCLI moves in there. . .

T.I.M. said:

The Weekends in the JR mess or the Brandon Inn will be interesting with young infantryman and gunner mixing it up! Likely to be an increase in the MP's they will need :)

T.I.M. said:
I taught as a section 2I/C on a QL2 course in Shilo a few years back, and there's nothing wrong with it as far as bases go.  It's better run than Wainwright (my personal bugbear, so I may be biased), after you get used to them the Artillery aren't so bad, and you do have Brandon a short hop away.  I do have a problem with the hordes of mosquitoes out in the training area, but you'll learn to live with them.  Promise.  ;)

hell, i remember how crowded the chow lines were with only one basic course there! now 2PPCLI, the Arty, and the Signals QL2/SQ.. that's gonna be massivly long! but basic was fun.. it was hard, but like T.I.M said, you'll learn to live with the huge bugs, and the moths on steroids.. especially when your in the butts..  ;D

. . .100+ bites on my right hand after a night-nav.   We couldn't read the maps by red light 'cause too many bugs were in the beams.

But hey, after the first 24 hours in the field you hardly notice them.   ;D

Colin-  Hate to tell but the Brandon Inn is now defunct. That clientele has now moved down to the Crystal and Beaubier. The JR will probably be an interesting place for awhile when the PPCLI move in until the pecking order gets sorted out, And the good Brandon bars are going to get crowded on the weekends.

For those that hate bugs, are you sure this is a good career choice for you. Once the sun goes down in Shilo, that droning you hear isn't the 408 Helicopter Squadron. What you need to get is your own pesoanal pet dragon fly. There worth their wait in gold when it comes to eating mosquitoes.

Wow...I was there last summer and we barely encountered any mosquitoes...maybe it was too hot. Or maybe I'm just lucky  :p

RCA said:
For those that hate bugs, are you sure this is a good career choice for you. Once the sun goes down in Shilo, that droning you hear isn't the 408 Helicopter Squadron. What you need to get is your own pesoanal pet dragon fly. There worth their wait in gold when it comes to eating mosquitoes.

I hate bugs but I can deal with them.   There's an unusual variety of them around my neck of the woods which is nothing but a landing pad for mosquitoes and black flies so that droning sound you refer to, I'm well acquainted with.    ;D   As long as I don't have to deal with camel spiders, I should be ok.    ;)

GirlFiredUp said:
  As long as I don't have to deal with camel spiders, I should be ok.    ;)

What in the name of god are those??  :'(

Here's some information on these nasty buggers.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/camelspider.asp

I've got to say the 508 helicopter sqd. comment cracked me up. Muahaha.. wait, damn, I still have to go out there for 8 weeks.  :-\

Military Brat said:
Here's some information on these nasty buggers.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/camelspider.asp

Those are some mean lookin mofo's.

It's all a trade-off really... as a sig, you'll likely only do excessive amounts of ruck-marching during basic, if you do your basic in the sweltering heat of the summer, you may well never experience the irritation of a 13km ruck march in mukluks.

Well, count me in for the buggarific time in Shilo. (Not to sure when however)
I'm quiet acquainted with theblood sucking type... good ol' morning football practices, you learn not to wear black! And to keep moving as much as possible.

Beatty1 if you don't mind my asking, what is your MOC? If you are going to Shilo then I guess you might be with the Comm Res? Your profile says you are from Saskatoon. I just so happen to parade in Saskatoon with 737 Comm Sqn, so wondering if we might be seeing you around any time soon?

Back