• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFC Toronto as a posting

I'm a 011.  I haven't got the message yet but I have been told I am heading to T.O. during the next APS.

bossi said:
The PMQ situation isn't a simple one to expain, but ... here goes ...
Once upon a time, some IDIOT decided to close down CFB Toronto and turn it into a park ...
Several years later ... it's not really much of a park ... (but, of course - nobody is ever going to admit they made a mistake ... and, greedy land speculators are still drooling at the propect of getting their hands on some dirt cheap dirt - pun intended ...)

Well, they've just started construction on the Canada forest-park-thing and shut off road access to a big chunk of the grounds.  Still a nice place to run without having the worry about being shanked by the locals.

[/quote]
Moving right along ... depending on who you listen to, there are plans to bulldoze the existing PMQs and build new ones ... or not.   So, there's some uncertainty ... or maybe not ...
[/quote]

They sent out a flyer explaining the master plan for the Downview grounds...William Baker was turned into a desert ecosystem for the Canada Park.  No actual word on what the hell is planned...just the usual disconnect between inerested parties.  Hopefully they'll tell us first before the bulldozers start rolling.

[/quote]
The Downsview PMQ patch is small, and depending on the time of month CFHA will tell you there aren't any available ... or there are empty ones ... or ... or ... or ...
[/quote]

That seemed to depend on who you got on the phone when you called.  If you walk around William Baker there are quite a few empty houses, but from what I've been told, CFHA has a weird reno schedule.  We're having our windows redone this winter...should be fun.

[/quote]
The Oakville PMQ patch is West of Toronto, and not everybody likes to commute - however, quite a few folks who live out there enjoy living in a nice neighbourhood (oh ... did I forget to mention that Downsview is roughly five minutes away from Toronto's WORST neighbourhood ... something my conscience forces me to mention ... ?)
[/quote]

Oakville is nice, but if you're looking at commuting by rail it'll cost you a monthly GO pass and a TTC pass.  It's about $60 for the first and $90 for the second.  While the Downview patch isn't in the greatest location, Jane & Finch *isn't* really within walking distance.  For the most part, the locals stay out...but it doesn't mean you won't find a used hypodermic needle in your front yard (as my wife did).

I'm just here until I'm done school (Dec 06), then I'll be posted out.  PLD is in the highest bracket.  House is in pretty good shape.  I have a lawn, good neighbours...it really isn't *that* bad if you're looking at a short posting...but if you're looking at 4+ years in Toronto, BUY. 

Well.....

The Sgt I'll be reporting to in TO told me to check with IRP.  IRP told me to check with my BOR.  My BOR said I should ask someone in TO...

Gettin dizzy yet?

Dylan

Well I've got a map of the PLD zones in TO.  I'll find a way to post shortly.  Now that I've been here and looked about here are some things I've noticed....

If you drive now, sell yer car.

I thought Alberta started high for insurance.  Was payin 170 for two vehicles now lookin at about 400+

If you have kids, leave em with friends.

Daycare in Edm is about 700-900 for the two tots.  Here is 700-900 each.

Rent is a little high but you can get brand new never lived in 4 bdrm houses for 1300-1400 in very family orientated areas like markham.

Don't forget PST if your not used to it, it can add up.

Anyways, Later....

And don't forget the frag vests and some extra blast blankets to use as spall liners in the Q.

;D

Tom

If you are thinking of renting, I currently live in a 3 bedroom house in the Beach, that has a separate 1 bedroom apartment.  The house is a turn of the century row house, and it is admitedly small.  On a cul de sac, with off leash area and kiddie park (including water park) at end of road.  140 metres from a good pub (although sometimes when I come home it seems longer...)  Backyard is fenced, but no driveway (so just one car is ideal as you park on the street).  Commute to CFC is about 40 minutes by TTC, and about 25 minutes by car.  I am paying 1300, and landlord loves Army Guys.  I am leaving mid July - PM me if you wish.

Dave

Just to add to this - I was living in a 3 bedroom house at Yonge and Sheppard right in the middle of North York for $1200/month. One subway stop away from York Mills, which is where you go for the CF College (There's also a good daycare facility in the York Mills Centre, not sure of prices though, and the CFC is one traffic light west). I also lived for years right next to the Downsview base and the area is really not that bad. As far as Markham, I grew up in Thornhill and it's one of the best areas around. Car insurance I'm only paying $70/month. Just keep looking around, it's not that bad. Good Luck

I guess you're all right.  Rent ain't too bad for the area.  We signed a lease on Thurs for a brand new duplex in S.E. Markham for 1400.  4 bdrm, master ensuite, unfinished bsmt.... the works.

Just got a quote for 290 for the two vehicles and tenant insurance.  Thanks for the advice, I'll keep shoppin...

Dylan

Dylan, Markham's not bad and that rent sems reasonable if such a word exists here in the GTA. Actually the one advantage of the seemingly never ending condo boom is that there are some fairly good rental deals now. Mostly apts for sibngles or couples w/o kids but they're there if you go looking.

There are plenty of us on the site from the GTA, serving and retired if you have any general questions or important ones like the name of the pub PPCLI Guy was talking about. ;D

$1400 is about average for rent here in Markham, the most expensive areas are probably Unionville and old Markham (near Main Street). Markham is mostly a great place, some areas are a little sketchy but its nothing compared to other areas in the GTA.

One of my Captain's was in almost the same situation as you, he came from BC to work at CFC as a civilian a couple of years ago and he is now living in Markham.

It's a nice area.  Just N of steeles and E of Markham Rd.  I have two kids so we were lookin for a place that seemed to be really kid friendly.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Dylan

Markham is a nice place to live.  Still far enough outside of the GTA so that you can escape into the country.

[Begin playing Devil's Avocate]
Does Markham even fall within the PLD zones for T.O. ?  I would suspect not.  $1400/month can get you a mortgage - albeit probably not enough to buy a house in York Region.  Take that $1400/month and move closer to CFC, get your PLD of approx. $1000/month and now you can afford a much larger mortgage (around $350,000).  Food for thought.
[Finish playing...]

Back