• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFHA Residential Housing Unit (RHU)-old PMQ [MERGED]

Nope,    I'm back in Victoria attempting to orchestrate an incredibly boggled move,  funny thing the CM posted me to Gagetown 3 Days before the end of of the course and then out to Shilo the same day, so as far as IRP is concerned I'm leaving from NB eventhough DF&E are in Victoria.  I think my comrade in crime was in Winnipeg last night so he won't be around either

They are really nice on the inside and cost about $200 more then one that hasn't been done.

I'm thinking worth the extra 200, I'm on a 4 bedroom duplex in Esquimalt that hasnt been done yet,  15 layers of paint on the wall and all.

ArtyNewbie said:
I'm thinking worth the extra 200, I'm on a 4 bedroom duplex in Esquimalt that hasnt been done yet,   15 layers of paint on the wall and all.

Are you on the wait list for a 4bdrm duplex or you are already in one?
I am vacating mine in Work Point at the end of January...
Scored a good deal on new construction in Sooke and can't justify paying rent to someone else when I can spend $250 more and own.

We received our notice in the mail yesterday and were more than suprised to find that our rent is being reduced by $20 per month starting this April.

Here in Cold Lake I will have a $100/month increase as of April 1 on my 1 1/2 storey duplex with garage (New rate $795 + $38.60 water/sewer charge) Hopefully my two roommates stick around long enough for me to amass a nice condo downpayment. I will admit I have had nothing but good service from CFHA though when it comes to work orders, etc.

I just got my yesterday, as well...another $100 increase!!
Guess that makes it only a $150 more to have a mortgage then to rent  :)

For the most part, CFHA has been pretty good about some stuff, but I have been trying to get them in my house since before I moved in to fix the carpetting on the stairs...and only now, after I gave notice, are they coming in to do the work! Only took a year and a half!

Meh, no more having to deal with them in less than 2 weeks!

Our mortgage is less than half the rental rates of the PMQ's here, and our house is larger and newer.  My wife would love to live in the PMQ's but we simply can't afford it.

Our mortgage has always been slightly less then the PMQ rates here, although when you add taxes and the water bill it is around $250 a month more but when you take into consideration that it is bigger and we pay less for heat it just about breaks even. Not to mention that as a rule when you sell you normally get some back if not an out and out profit.

I'm trying to get a jump on watching the housing market in the Borden area. We are being posted in 2010 and rumors are that it will be Borden (not that I believe anything until we get the posting message). We will have to sell our in Petawawa area and I am very concerned by what I have seen so far with regards to pricing. Are there any less expensive areas near the Borden area??

I was really shocked when hubby told me that our increase this year was only $24!!  And we still haven't reached the "appraised" amount. 

We pay a fair bit, but it is for a 4 bedroom single, with a detached garage.  To me, it is worth the price for the convenience of living on base.  I am a shift worker and it is so nice to be able to walk to and from work, especially during the crazy winter weather.  And hubby is duty tech quite often, so it's nice for him not having to constantly drive back and forth when he gets called in.

Griswald said:
Our mortgage is less than half the rental rates of the PMQ's here, and our house is larger and newer.  My wife would love to live in the PMQ's but we simply can't afford it.

ok - I'll bite as no one else has.

Why the he and two hockey sticks would your wife wan't to live in Q's when you have a deal like that??

Surely he was being sarcastic, given how many posts I have seen here that say "my wife would love to GET OUT of the Q's, but we can't afford it."  ;D

I'm hoping that is the case but without something indicating it not sure, some people are strange - like me. I actually picked Disney Land for a posting from the pink palace.

CDNAIRFORCE said:
Where is this infamous pink palace anyway???

Stadacona Halifax - for some reason they used pink stones on the outside of the HQ so it became known as the Pink Palace.  Not supposed to refer to it as that as someone didn't like it but it is the easiest way to give directions to the place as it is the only pink building. Enter main gate, turn right, look for pink building on your right.

CDNAIRFORCE said:
Surely he was being sarcastic, given how many posts I have seen here that say "my wife would love to GET OUT of the Q's, but we can't afford it."  ;D

No, no.. she's dead serious.  Loneliness during the day because a real problem for her when she was at home with a baby and started getting some cabin fever in mid-February and it's -45 with over a foot of white on the ground and unable to access any of the base ammenities.

My wife realizes the best thing for us financially is to own, but she still says "I wish we lived closer to base" once in a while.

The Pink Palace is now on top of the old Stadacona "Haunted" Hospital

Is there a difference between Officer married housing and NCM married housing?

Back