• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFR to AEC

kbucci

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm currently a Naval PO1 (WO) in Esquimalt with a NCM Clerk as a spouse.  I'm interested in CFR'ing to AEC and was wondering what the "expected" time frame for me being away from my family prior to my first posting where we "could" be re-united.  I've been in long enough to know that there are lots of factors where we may not get posted to the same unit and everything else, I'm looking at what is the best case scenario of me being away from my family. 

I'm just not entirely sure how it would initially work, I know I can conduct some OJT in Esquimalt/COMOX prior to course commencment to allow me time with the family, but what is the posting/course process after that.
Thanks

Hi NavyGuy,

You will find some info on the trade here:  http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/80860.125.html  The beginning info is a bit older, but the majority is still relevant.

For the most part, the length of your trades training will depend on which path you take: IFR, VFR or Weapons.  If you go IFR or VFR, you will be posted to an air base afterwards.  If you go Weapons, you will proceed to North Bay to continue your training.  Only after that will you be posted to your new unit, although there is a great chance that you would remain in North Bay.

Your pre-OJT location will also be dependent on which path you choose.

Sorry, I don't know the current length of trades training at the moment.  But if nobody else jumps in with the timings, I'll check it out when I am back to work next week.

Thanks AirMich,
My preference would be Weapons as I've spent my entire career in a ships Ops Room and the trades are fairly related.  Thanks for the quick response and I appreciate any further info you could provide.  Realistically I would be awaiting the 2013 competition I.e. apply Aug 2012.

I found this in another post which pretty much details the training plan.  My question is after finishin BMOQ it says you conduct OJE and CORE D/L in an Operational Wing.

Question #1 is has anyone conducted or know if you can conduct these componants at either 443sqn at Pat Bay or better yet CFB Esquimalt (I know there's MFC's posted there).  If I'm correct after these componants I would be off to North Bay for more training and a likely posting if I get wpns.

Question #2, where is the highest % of dropouts/failures, i.e. are you pretty secure by the time you get to the final stage i.e. 3-4 month phase at 51sqn.  The reason I'm asking this, is I can potentially have it set-up to have my wife posted to North Bay around the completion of the CFSACO phase.  Meaning we were only seperated for BMOQ and CFSACO.  Don't get me wrong i've done the 6mth seperations, but I'm at a point now where I would prefer minimizing those.

Again I know how things can work and that things go wrong, but I'm looking best case. 

1. IAP (8 weeks)
2. BOTP (7 weeks)
3. SLT if English profile below CBB (up to 33 Weeks)
4. OJE (6 week average but sometimes up to 16 Weeks):
 Requirement to take annual leave during this time
 Stream selection done
5. Core via D/L (7 weeks)
6. CFSACO:
 IFR – (18 weeks)
 WPNS – (13 weeks)
 VFR – (10 weeks)
7. Qualification time highly dependent on location and final employment:
 IFR – (6-9 months)
 WPNS – all to 51 Sqn OTU (3-4 months) then to operational employment
 VFR – (4-6 months)

NavyGuy10 said:
I found this in another post which pretty much details the training plan.  My question is after finishin BMOQ it says you conduct OJE and CORE D/L in an Operational Wing.

Question #1 is has anyone conducted or know if you can conduct these componants at either 443sqn at Pat Bay or better yet CFB Esquimalt (I know there's MFC's posted there).  If I'm correct after these componants I would be off to North Bay for more training and a likely posting if I get wpns.

Question #2, where is the highest % of dropouts/failures, i.e. are you pretty secure by the time you get to the final stage i.e. 3-4 month phase at 51sqn.  The reason I'm asking this, is I can potentially have it set-up to have my wife posted to North Bay around the completion of the CFSACO phase.  Meaning we were only seperated for BMOQ and CFSACO.  Don't get me wrong i've done the 6mth seperations, but I'm at a point now where I would prefer minimizing those.

Again I know how things can work and that things go wrong, but I'm looking best case. 

1. IAP (8 weeks)
2. BOTP (7 weeks)
 Stream selection done
6. CFSACO:
 IFR – (18 weeks)
 WPNS – (13 weeks)
 VFR – (10 weeks)
 IFR – (6-9 months)
 VFR – (4-6 months)

In response to Question 1, it is possible. You can do the DL anywhere. While they prefer having people at operational airbases, pre-course OJE is not mandatory, and people have been kept "close to home" before. Heck, they post OJE's to Winnipeg, which is an operational airbase with no military ATC. One guy on my IFR course who remustered from the army was kept at Petawawa and worked at the MFAU with 427 Sqn.

I can't speak for Question 2, as I don't have much knowledge of things on the Weapons side.

NavyGuy,

Being a PO1, you will not be doing BMOQ. Well, you should not be doing BMOQ. It was a bit much for a Cpl to do, let alone have a WO do it. Once accepted, if anyone mentions BMOQ, fire in that PLAR and get it written off.

There was a 3-week "conversion" course.....but of course I cannot find the link to it anymore nor do I remember the proper name. There are more than a few CFR's and UT's on here that will know more than I on that.

Good luck.

Wook

There is a member of the site who is a Weapons guy.  I'll track him down and he should be able to post some current info and answers.

NavyGuy10 said:

1. IAP (8 weeks)
2. BOTP (7 weeks)
 Stream selection done
6. CFSACO:
 IFR – (18 weeks)
 WPNS – (13 weeks)
 VFR – (10 weeks)
 IFR – (6-9 months)
 VFR – (4-6 months)

The training outline that you have stated is old and inaccurate now.

First you do BMOQ (basic) and then you are normally attach-posted to a wing for OJE (on-the-job experience) while you await your course.  There is no longer a requirement for Second Language Training.  During this OJE you complete a Distance Learning (DL) program which is 7 weeks.  The Career Manager decides where individuals go for their OJE training.  Although most OJEs will do their training at an operational base (shown to correlate to a higher chance of success), there are people that have awaited course in places like Esquimault, Winnipeg, Halifax, Petawawa and others.  Depending on which stream you go (IFR/VFR/Weapons) and the backlog of trainees you could be on OJE anywhere from 4 months to a year and a half.

The CFSACO course timings above, however, are accurate.  IFR – (18 weeks), WPNS – (13 weeks), VFR – (10 weeks), all in house.  You will be living in the actual NavCanada building throughout this time and be unable to house your spouse within.

The majority of failures happen while on course in Cornwall.  However, there are multiple people that do not succeed at their units even with successful course completion.  Cases have happened where people were posted to their unit to qualify, purchased a house, and less than a year later are forced to sell because they failed their checkout.  It is prudent, in an aptitude-based trade, to be aware of the possibility of failure.

I can speak a bit about the Weapons side of AEC.  You would likely do your DL at your current location.  You may or may not get sent to North Bay for OJT, but it would be beneficial to spend some time on the ops floor to learn some of the checklists/RT/etc.  I've also seen it happen where the member spends their OJT at their current posting and the are still successful at CFSACO. 

The training times for CFSACO & 51 Sqn that were posted above are correct, so you will spend approx 8 months in training. There is typically a long waiting list to get loaded at CFSACO, so you could be looking at a long OJT period.

If you have any questions about the trade, feel free to ask.

"My preference would be Weapons"

Good choice, I spent 30 years a a Weapons Controller, and 3 years as an instructor at CFSACO(2006-2009).  I retired a couple of years ago, and never thought I'd miss it as much as I do.

Best of Luck

Back