• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CH-124 Sea King Historical Thread

There are 15 sitting in Qualicum Beach. One of which (440) is flyable….
How many does Ukraine have now? 3 from the UK and 6 from Germany? Think they would trade 9 Sea Kings for 28 S-92s?

I wonder who bought up all the S-61Ns and Ts from the State Department after the whole Carson "thing?"

I jest...

I should also point out that this thread is directly related to my retirement interests. My current avatar shows ASP on the left and a functioning mock up of an ASN-123 on the right.

Not saying.

For those of us not in the know, are you saying there's a non-zero number of our bespoke orphan fleet of unnamed maritime helicopters that will never fly again because of serious flaws that are irreparable and compromise flight safety despite the fact they're less than a decade old?

For those of us not in the know, are you saying there's a non-zero number of our bespoke orphan fleet of unnamed maritime helicopters that will never fly again because of serious flaws that are irreparable and compromise flight safety despite the fact they're less than a decade old?
Not saying.

It’s not flaws, per se, it’s force generation issues that have been discussed elsewhere in these forums.

Edited to add: however I’m not part of the Wing or supporting orgs anymore so my knowledge is now second hand.

I really hope you guys are joking.
From my understanding, it’s also an issue in the Navy (ships subs with out enough crew, not enough spares, and outstanding work items) so that we have to have an all hands on deck to get each deployment out the door. Other fleets in the Air Force also seem to have different takes on the same issues, and the army seems to have a perennial battle with pers in lines and ongoing maintenance.

I feel my attempt at historical facts has been self sabotaged by going around the same buoy again, simply by bringing up a what if.

My bad…

Do you have any pictures of the Sea Kings being assembled in Canada?
Were there decent simulators for the sensor operators to learn on?
Can't imagine the nausea sitting in the back of a helicopter looking at a screen or instruments.

Can't imagine the nausea sitting in the back of a helicopter looking at a screen or instruments.
I don’t have any pictures from United Aircraft but I can look in the archives.
There was a full simulator for the Sea King, without visuals. All the sensors were simulated except the FLIR; HELTAS had a separate part task trainer. The sensor sims were ok for procedures, but I wouldn’t call the environmental and target simulations high fidelity.
The only time I got air sick was my first instructional trip, when I wasn’t looking at the screens. As an instructor I delay backwards on the step into the cockpit. Nothing taking a break in the rear cabin with the door open didn’t fix.

There is at least one picture in John Orr’s “Kings for a Reason”.

The framework Sea King that ARSBC was going to place on the Annapolis is going into storage as the BC government can't seem to issue a park permit to do so. Considering it's only bar steel welded together and is going onto an existing artificial reef and both fish biologists and FN are happy with it, they still can't get it together.

picture2_orig.jpg

Back