• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CH47 Chinook

The article says "four" aircraft.  I thought they had five altogether.  Six were originally purchased and one was destroyed by fire after being shot at.

147202 was shot down 5 Aug 2010, 147205 rolled over in brownout conditions on 16 May 2011.

147202 was destroyed in the post-crash fire.  147205 was damaged beyond economical repair in the accident and may be partially salvageable.

147201, 203, 204 and 206 are the four aircraft to which the articles refer.

Regards
G2G

OK .... first time I have seen this done!  8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BTBrJb3P9o&feature=fvwrel

205 will not be used for any more flying, i.e. ops.  The parts of it that are remaining will be used for training aids.  It is policy that once an a/c is in a crash and it is non-repairable, no parts that were on the a/c can be used for operational needs.  The exception is that if a part is really needed (such as if there are no more out there), then the part would have to be sent to R&O (repair and overhaul) for re-certification.  Sometimes this can be much more expensive than just buying a new part.

Newest word (aka rumour as I am getting this info second hand):

First two birds will be off the line in 2012.  A large crew (approx 100 troops) will be flight testing them in Arizona (I have no idea where Arizona came from but this is what I have heard) to include pilots, FEs and LMs.  Apparently a list already exists somewhere deep in the bowels of Kingston...

Still no word that I have heard on names for the new MHLH Sqn or when they will be announced but last official word was before the boards sit this fall so should be soon I would think.

Any other juicy gossip out there?

HH

And correction to my last:

It was actually fourth hand rumours.  I learned this little nugget today.  I wouldn't have posted had I known it was that unreliable but it looks like sometimes the telephone game gets some tidbits correct though eh?  :nod:

HH

147701 will start flight test next summer, but the other machines won't go into production until substantive design elements have been confirmed through the combined flight test program.  That's all part of the plan.

Regards
G2G

So will the crews be headed to the US this winter or spring then to do the Foxtrot model conversion?  Any idea when the names of this mystery list will be announced?

The only "crews" identified at the moment are the CF members of the combined flight test team. 

Public announcements indicate that the MHLH Squadron will be stood up Summer 2012 and that the first production airframe will arrive in location in Summer 2013.  The initial cadre training program has not been announced, yet.

Regards
G2G

Good2Golf,

not sure where you are getting your info.  x2 helos will be used for flight testing.  You are correct about the timelines.  First helo to be delivered to the Sqn will be number 3, dates as per your post.

Scoobs said:
Good2Golf,

not sure where you are getting your info.  x2 helos will be used for flight testing.  You are correct about the timelines.  First helo to be delivered to the Sqn will be number 3, dates as per your post.

I hadn't heard the contract was amended.

Regards
G2G

and finally . . .  druuuuuuuuuuuuum roll please . .  . the first of our 16 new aircraft makes it onto the production line.

http://tinyurl.com/65qxzk4

"Oct 21/11: Associate Minister of National Defence Julain Fantino is present in Ridley Park, PA to officially launch final assembly of the 1st CH-147F. The project is described as on-schedule and within budget (but see Oct 28/10 entry).

The first CH-147F is set to come off the assembly line for tests and evaluation flights in June 2012. In June 2013, the new squadron at CFB Petawawa is scheduled to receive the first deliveries"

Can anyone tell me what 3 Chinooks were doing flying over my house in Winnipeg yesterday? Damn I love that sound......

I live near 17 Wing. I do beleive they had to be US Army.....

Pennsylvania Army National Guard new F models.  They're just heading home after participating in Ex Maple Resolve in Wainwright.

When would the techs stat being posted to Pet, before the choppers arrive?

greydak said:
When would the techs stat being posted to Pet, before the choppers arrive?

Highly likely.

Regards
G2G

No word on any posting messages as of yet.  I do know that it is on the table to be discussed at the FE STA conference this upcoming week however.  Hopefully the CMs have some news.

Back