• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Chance of Deployment [Merged]

Before you get to a Battalion you will have to do BMQ, DP1 Infantry(SQ/BIQ combined course) get to Battalion, get into a deploying Company an complete the work up training required to deploy. There is no real "set time" to give you as to how long it takes from the start of BMQ through your training to get on a tour. To many variables.

Also you get no say in if you go Mech or Light.

And every Battalion/Regiment is on a Rototation  ie PPCLI, The RCR than R22eR an repeat. Also it would depend on if the Battalion your in is going over as the lead of a BG, sending a Rifle Coy for PRT FP or augmenting the BG or if the BN is tasked to supply Soldiers for the OMLT/POMLT. As that dictates how many positions there are for the deployment.

Also don't worry to much about what people say ie you won't be going overseas, etc. Wait out on that as things are always changing.

awesome, thanks for the info guys. Im really excited to begin training, a couple quick questions though skeletor: what do PRT FP and OMLT/POMLT mean????

Smity199 said:
awesome, thanks for the info guys. Im really excited to begin training, a couple quick questions though skeletor: what do PRT FP and OMLT/POMLT mean????

A google search has revealed that "PRT FP" stands for "Provincial Reconstruction Team/Force Protection", and OMLT/POMLT stands for "Operational Mentor and Liaison Team" and "Police Operational Mentor and Liaison Team."

Please correct if wrong :)

See:
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/66419.0 (PRT/FP)
http://www.comfec-cefcom.forces.gc.ca/pa-ap/fs-ev/2009/01/19-eng.asp (POMLT)
http://www.comfec-cefcom.forces.gc.ca/pa-ap/ops/fs-fr/omlt-eng.asp (OMLT)

thanks alot, guess I could have googled it myself lol  :)
skeletor you really know your shit eh, good to know people know what they are talking about :salute:

I may have done a thing or two in the Army.. see my profile.

Also check your PMs as you have some errors in your profile.

ltmaverick25 said:
The RCR and the PPCLI are deploying more often then the Royal 22nd Vandoos due to politics.

After SQ you will need to take your infantry trades course called DP1.  I beleive that is the bare minimum that would allow you to go to Afghanistan.  If you get them all done back to back its possible you may find yourself on one of the last tours.  Someone with more knowledge on the infantry side will have to give you more specifics though.

Ltmaverick25, perhaps given your membership in the Senior Service, one might consider letting others more appropriately in the know on a particular subject provide substantive input to the poster's question.  Then the poster would know that rotations of the infantry units are amongst PPCLI, The RCR and the R22eR, not whatever name you decide to compose. 

Also, using a bit of your past life and checking out the DIN-available references, you would know that all three regiments share contribution equitably to the AMRS, so your personalization of rotation methodology is ill-informed and inflammatory.  Stop it.

Milnet.ca Staff

...but seriously, no one can tell you for sure if you'll make it on a tour to Afghanistan.
We (in the CF) with the exception perhaps of the big heads at NDHQ really know what will happen after 2011.
Don't worry about it for the time being. Concentrate on getting through BMQ, Battle School and getting to whatever Bn you go to. Then take it from there. Till then, good luck to you.

Once again, here's the formula for getting a tour in your first 3-year engagement:

There are literally too many variables to try and pick a specific future rotation.  Chances vary by trade, by mission, by rotation, and, of course, there are these variables:

Michael O'Leary said:
If you join either infantry or armour, you will get posted to a unit after your training.  It may be the unit of your choice, or it may be where the Army needs you most. So, here's the formula:

A.  If you start now, and estimate a year for recruiting and six months for training
B.  And you hope that the planned cycle of unit rotations overseas doesn't change, and pick a trade based on that
C.  And get posted to your unit of choice.
D.  And land in one of the companies/squadrons designated for a tour.
E.  And the government doesn't change its mind on the mission.
F.  And the Army doesn't change its mind on Task Force structure.
G.  And you "DAG Green" all the way through the pre-deployment training cycle.
H.  And you don't piss off your chain of command and get dumped to the rear party for being a dink, or some other technical term for administrative or disciplinary burden.
I.    And there's not another election that pulls us out of Afghanistan (or wherever) at the last moment.
J.    And you don't get appendicitis two days before your departure.
K.    And the sun doesn't go nova.

Then:-

You might get an operational tour within a three-year basic engagement.

Good2Golf said:
Ltmaverick25, perhaps given your membership in the Senior Service, one might consider letting others more appropriately in the know on a particular subject provide substantive input to the poster's question.  Then the poster would know that rotations of the infantry units are amongst PPCLI, The RCR and the R22eR, not whatever name you decide to compose. 

Also, using a bit of your past life and checking out the DIN-available references, you would know that all three regiments share contribution equitably to the AMRS, so your personalization of rotation methodology is ill-informed and inflammatory.  Stop it.

Milnet.ca Staff

I meant no disrespect to the R22eR, I have a strong family lineage in that regiment.  When I spoke of politics, I was talking about the federal kind, not sure if that was misinterpreted or miscommunicated on my part, but certainly I was under the impression both from comments I have read on army.ca and the news that they were not deploying as often.  If that is incorrect that I am glad to hear it, stand corrected and appologize.

As for the name of the unit, I was always under the impression that it translated to the Royal 22nd Regiment, or their nickname, Vandoos.  Ive always used both when referring to them.  Again if that is incorrect that thanks for the update, but once again, absolutely no disrespect is meant towards that unit in any way shape or form.

You pretty much slashed off part of the full name of the Regiment an inserted the nickname for the Regiment. Either go with the full name Royal 22nd Regiment, abbreviated form R22eR or Vandoos an don't combine them into one hack/slash job.

Also, I dunno how much you watch the news or anything like that but R22eR deploys.. an they are leading the current BG right now.

Quick run down for you on the Battle Groups that have deployed to Kandahar

TF 1-06  - 1PPCLI
TF 3-06 - 1RCR
TF 1-07 - 2RCR
TF 3-07 - R22eR (unsure of which BN went)
TF 1-08 - 2PPCLI
TF 3-09 - 3RCR
TF 1-09 - 2e R22eR
TF 3-09 - 1PPCLI (upcoming BG)

Plus the Vandoos were on earliar rotos in Kabul

ltmaverick25 said:
The RCR and the PPCLI are deploying more often then the Royal 22nd Vandoos due to politics.

Interesting assertion.  Utterly baseless and obviously poorly researched, but interesting.

The Army's hexagon of doom (AKA the ATOF) was intended to provide an easy to manage method to prepare battle groups for deployments - developed pre-Afghanistan, it was intended to facilitate training, deployment and reconstitution of units, providing an easy calendar for units to understand what they would be doing several years out.

It consisted of two lines of operations, as the CF had informed government that it would be possible to maintain two deployments (making assumptions about the size of the force deployed).

Thus, units were placed on one of two conveyor belts - the first and second lines of operation.  Once they came off one, they'd feed on to the other one in the future.

It happened that in the early days two bns of the R22eR were on the second line.  That is, they were trained up, validated, and spent six months as the go-to guys if anything happened.

But as time went on, the model was refined an altered.  Refined to avoid tasking the same LFA twice in succession or close succession on the first line, and also because the commitment on the "first line of operations" was much greater than the model was built for.

No politics.  No interventions from the politicians.  Just the G3 staff doing what G3 staffs do - plan and adapt.

CDN Aviator said:
Checkmate......

A little immature don’t you think?

I am man enough to admit when I have made a mistake and apologize for it, such as the case in this thread.  What value do you serve with a post like this?

ltmaverick,

When you get a reply like that you should think about your posting history as to why it might have surfaced. Now that is enough here, thanks.

Scott
Army.ca Staff

I sure hope the kind of bickering here doesn't forbode the camaraderie or lack there of I'll experience during my time with the army

Smity199 said:
I would be extremely dissapointed if I went through my first 3 years and never got to fight.

Be careful what you wish for mate.

There is nothing glorious about death, dying and killing.

Back