• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Chance of Deployment [Merged]

For what its worth, my experience was this: Grad BMQ on Friday, start DP1 following Monday, have just recently finished DP1 and am getting ready to head to Van for a domestic op and am Tentatively scheduled for TF 1-11 (obviously a lot can change from now to a year from now).  So yes things can move fast, but at the same time I also graduated with people who spent 6 months on Pat after Basic, and trained with guys who were good candidates and had an unlucky injury and were recoursed halfway through DP1. So really you never know until you know. If you were hoping for a clear answer, Ha  get used to it.

I am a mother of two currently in school to be a dental assistant, my fiance is planning on joing the ROTP next year and I have been considering enlisting once I am done school. My question is, a friend of mine whos husband is in the Canadian military said that deployment in Canada is not mandatory and they can not force you to go. I would really like to be a dental technician on base but the thought of being deloployed frightens me.  Is this true or is this false information?

One of the auspices of enlistment in the regular forces is unlimited liability in terms of service. This covers, but is not limited to, being ordered into harm's way. It also includes deployment and postings against one's will.

A fair question.

Short answer is if you are Regular Force, you can be ordered to deploy. You have a choice - deploy or release.

Jim Seggie said:
A fair question.

Short answer is if you are Regular Force, you can be ordered to deploy. You have a choice - deploy or release.

If buddy's ROTP, there shouldn't be an option for him to release during his obligatory service.

Brasidas said:
If buddy's ROTP, there shouldn't be an option for him to release during his obligatory service.

Don't you have to pay back your schooling immediately if you VR after ROTP/RMC?

Release is a right all service members share.

During periods of obligatory service incurred through subsidized education, members may have financial penalty for early release.  Payment plans can be arranged should the individual be reasonably unable to repay the monies prior to release.

Brasidas said:

The question wasn't about him, but about her as a Dental Technician.  She as a Regular Force member would have to deploy if so ordered to do so.  It is only Reservists who have the "voluntary" option to deploy or not.  I am pretty sure that there are no Reservists as Dental Techs, so that option is out.

ʞɔoɹɯɐɥs said:
Release is a right all service members share.

No.  They do not.  An order-in-council placed all members of the Regular Force on Active Service as of 1989.  Members on active service have no right of release.  Per the NDA.

George Wallace said:
I am pretty sure that there are no Reservists as Dental Techs, so that option is out.

That option is available in the PRes world. A Detal Det is part of the Field Ambulance composition. This calls for up to 4/5 Pte/Cpl Dental techs. However, since majority of Field Ambs do not posess the infrastructures to propperly employ a Dental Tech in the PRes world, I would say that this point is moot.

When I was RctO, I had a perfectly qualified Dental Assistant that wanted to enroll as a Dental Tech. I remember going through quite a bit to find out if and how I could enroll one. Almost had to justify why/how we needed one, and how to employ them on a 1 night a week, 1 weekend a month basis. This is with the Brigade MIR right down stairs from my LOC. By the time I got a "yes, go ahead and start it" the applicant with drew and moved on to other things.

This thread is about if this individual can use the military to gain free training and get paid for it, while not doing so for the sake of the Forces but rather for her own reasons.

Based on the fact that you don't want to actually serve in the military, it probably isn't for you.

Nauticus said:
This thread is about if this individual can use the military to gain free training and get paid for it, while not doing so for the sake of the Forces but rather for her own reasons.

Based on the fact that you don't want to actually serve in the military, it probably isn't for you.

She said she wants to join after she's done school. Not as if she would be the first person to enroll for purely financial benefits anyway.

Why would "thought of being deployed frighten" you? What is to fear? You'd most likely just be working in a dental clinic of some sort, but in a different location.

Loachman said:
Why would "thought of being deployed frighten" you? What is to fear? You'd most likely just be working in a dental clinic of some sort, but in a different location.

As a mother of two, with a husband who is reg force and could be ordered away, there is a fair reason for any involved mother to be nervous about being deployed overseas. It's a hard task, as many know, to leave your children with someone else for what might potentially be a long period of time.

Mdeadman said:
I am a mother of two currently in school to be a dental assistant, my fiance is planning on joing the ROTP next year and I have been considering enlisting once I am done school. My question is, a friend of mine whos husband is in the Canadian military said that deployment in Canada is not mandatory and they can not force you to go. I would really like to be a dental technician on base but the thought of being deloployed frightens me.  Is this true or is this false information?

If you join the Regular Force (full time), you can be posted anywhere in Canada, or sent anywhere else the Canadian Forces has a sizeable presence. This includes the possibility of operational deployment overseas.

With that said, dental techs are not a trade that would be 'forward deployed' outside of a major base into a small outpost; they would be kept back at a major medical facility, which means a major, secured base. Short of having extraordinarily bad luck and having a rocket land on your head, you're probably safer inside one of these bases than you are crossing the street in any major city.

Now, the very small odds of being subject to violence aside, serving overseas may mean relatively austere conditions, crappy hours, mediocre food, and n uncomfortable climate. But serving overseas is also recompensed with substantially higher pay.

One thing you need to factor in is the possibility that you and your husband may be posted to different bases within Canada. Usually the military's pretty good about posting service couples to the same base, but depending on your husband's trade he may eventually pe posted somewhere that doesn't have openings for dental techs, and you might spend a couple years apart. Hopefully someone form the dental field can speak more specifically to how much opportunity there is for a dental tech to follow their spouse.

So overall I'd say that Dental Tech is as 'safe' a trade as you can find, and that even if you're deployed, the only real challenge will be crappier conditions than you're used to. But with that said, if you're unwilling to contemplate the thought of deploying overseas, then don't join up.

Here is a pie chart of where dental techs can get posted. Please note, this includes up to CWO. Yours to see how well this fits with your hubby's preferences.

Yes I know... I just like pie charts...

NSDreamer said:
As a mother of two, with a husband who is reg force and could be ordered away, there is a fair reason for any involved mother to be nervous about being deployed overseas. It's a hard task, as many know, to leave your children with someone else for what might potentially be a long period of time.

The OP asked, specifically, if "deployment in Canada is not mandatory".

She may or may not have confused "posting" with "deployment", but "deployment" within Canada is certainly a possibility - dental pers were deployed to Vancouver and possibly other nearby sites for Op Podium (Winter Olympic Security) a year ago.

She also said that this "frightens" her, rather than simply "concerns" her.

Thousands of other mothers have deployed. This is a condition of service for them.

Ok, Here's the story

I was infantry for two years then I saw the light and OT'd to 0168. I got posted to a very high profile unit and have been "deployed" according to the units standards. I want something more. I want a real deployment not a #$(ing vacation that I collected TD on. I really don't care where I go(I'll do GD on a Boxtop run). But for some reason I can't seem to be deployed. I'm dagged green, PDR/PER good at my job, ask my Sgt. almost everyday, and even put in a memo requesting a deployment! I didn't join the forces to sign autographs and sit on my ass all day in the off season.  Any suggestions?

Back