• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Changing the way the search bar looks.

vangemeren

Inactive
Reaction score
After putting some deep thought, I think that the advanced search should be made more obvious than just the magnifying glass, because the search function only works on the particular board that you are surfing, not any others, including sub boards. I would think that as a new comer to the site may not realise right away that the search function as it is in the tool bar (not the one by "Home", "Help", or "Profile. The other one) , only shows results from that board.

For example (I'm not picking on anyone, just using this example because it is fresh in my mind)

If I went to the Foreign military board, went up to the search function and typed in "Harry" and pressed search I would get one set of results.

If I then went to the British Military sub-board and did the same thing, a different set of results would appear.

Would it be possible that if a message located above the search query said to the effect "You have only searched this board/sub-board use the advanced search for more results on other boards" and then have a link to the advanced search page right there. Or another idea would be to get rid of the search on the right side and replace it with a link to the advanced search, as it is more visible than the other search link.

He's got a good point.

Those of us who've been around for a while know this - but a newbie doesn't - and his HONEST efforts are likely to be awarded with a chorus of "Try the Search Function".

Worth thinking about, in my opinion.

Roy

Just a point to note:

The advanced search is not just the small magnifying glass, and is already included on the tool bar right between "Help" and "Admin" to the left of your "Profile" button.

Perhaps a re-naming of it from "Search" to "Advanced Search" is all that is required.

Vern

ArmyVern said:
Just a point to note:

The advanced search is not just the small magnifying glass, and is already included on the tool bar right between "Help" and "Admin" to the left of your "Profile" button.

Perhaps a re-naming of it from "Search" to "Advanced Search" is all that is required.

Vern

Just to note - I don't have an "Admin" button on my tool bar.  Between "Help" and "Home" is nothing.  Between the "Help" and "Profile" button is "Search".  I suspect you have a different tool bar because you're an Admin.

Regardless - I think van Gemeren brings up a good point - the "Search" function, as it exists, is extremely useful - it is NOT, however, necessarily intuitive to new users.

Perhaps making a "site wide search" the default may alleviate such problems in future?  (While making those searches necessarily longer).

Roy

ArmyVern said:
Just a point to note:

Vern

I only bring this up because that one is not as visible and it does not change the fact that the other search only does the board you're surfing on.

Roy Harding said:
Just to note - I don't have an "Admin" button on my tool bar.  Between "Help" and "Home" is nothing.  Between the "Help" and "Profile" button is "Search".  I suspect you have a different tool bar because you're an Admin.

Regardless - I think van Gemeren brings up a good point - the "Search" function, as it exists, is extremely useful - it is NOT, however, necessarily intuitive to new users.

Perhaps making a "site wide search" the default may alleviate such problems in future?  (While making those searches necessarily longer).

Roy

I think that is a better idea. Make the search very inclusive no matter what board you are surfing and then give the notice and the ability to refine the search through advanced search with a link.

I agree that it's not that obvious up there by the magnifying glass.  Hmmm, and noted on the "Admin" button.

Now I don't know what kind of resources it will eat up if everyone is doing site-wide searches every time instead of specific forum searches, but surely Mike could answer that one.

Perhaps though, if that's good to go with Mike, we can also re-label the one on the tool bar to more accurately read "Advanced Search" as that's what it is.

Well, I've spent way too long here, and I didn't know the magnifying glass was the advanced search.

ArmyVern said:
...Now I don't know what kind of resources it will eat up if everyone is doing site-wide searches every time
:rofl:  Yes, people searching too much seems to be a problem here!  ;)

ArmyVern said:
I agree that it's not that obvious up there by the magnifying glass.  Hmmm, and noted on the "Admin" button.

Now I don't know what kind of resources it will eat up if everyone is doing site-wide searches every time instead of specific forum searches, but surely Mike could answer that one.

Perhaps though, if that's good to go with Mike, we can also re-label the one on the tool bar to more accurately read "Advanced Search" as that's what it is.

I never considered the traffic pressure that full searches would be on the system (shows how much I know about computers). I guess that is the main reason why there are only board searches. I'm sure Mike will find a solution.

P.S

Congratulations on winning the "Giving it to the staff contest".

I sent a message to Mike the other day asking for a pretty much the same thing, from the reply I got back it sounds like when we get the new upgrades there will be a name next to the search telling you what part of the board you search will be conducted in.
Atleast thats what I understood  :)

Journeyman said:
:rofl:  Yes, people searching too much seems to be a problem here!  ;)

You're SO right :)! (and I'm guilty of that, sometimes, too )

Imbeault is right, in the next upgrade, the search bar will have a drop box next to it that includes "This board only" "The entire site" etc as options. ETA on that is some time this fall.

Excellent.
This will surely free up some of Mr. Wallace's time  ;)

D Squared said:
This will surely free up some of Mr. Wallace's time  ;)

I'm not sure about that. I think I will still read some ''Why me ? " :).

Back