• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cheap domestic flights for canadian soldiers

Cannon Fodder

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'v heard a rumor that soldiers can get a special rate on Air Canada (or possibly other airlines) when they fly standby, and wear a uniform.  This would be for personal travel, not offical business since then the Gov't would by a ticket.
Has anyone heard of this program?  Got info?

Cheers

Sure standby is cheaper then normal.  But does it get even cheaper for soldiers?  That is the crux of my question.

Thanks

CANJET (http://www.canjet.com/en_home.aspx) offers a discount to CF members.  Per their website:

CanJet Airlines Simplifies Military VFR Fares!

Canada's Military has the best men and women dedicated to our freedom and security. CanJet Airlines salutes our Canadian Military personnel and we sincerely thank them for a job well done! We also extend our heartfelt gratitude to military spouses and partners because we know that, without you, your spouses and partners wouldn't be able to perform the exceptional jobs they do every day. We tip our hats to all of you and, to show our appreciation, CanJet is pleased to offer Canadian military personnel on active duty, as well as their dependents, 10% off our everyday low fares for leisure travel only. Military members and their dependents must state the military member's ID number when booking and the military member must present ID upon check-in.

To check our schedule, go to Flight Schedules. At this time, these fares cannot be booked on the Internet. You must book by calling our Reservation Centre at 1-800-809-7777 or by contacting your travel agent.

These one-way discounted fares (10% off) are for new bookings only.
Active enlisted members of the Military must present military identification upon check-in. Passengers who do not present the required identification will be charged the available fare at check-in.
Military member's authorized dependents consist of spouse/partner and/or children and/or parents. While the enlisted military person need not accompany dependents on their flight(s), dependents must show proof of their military connection and identification upon check-in. Travel locator must show active military member's ID number.
No minimum stay required
Changes may be made up to 2 hours prior to departure for a fee.
Fares do not include taxes, NAV Canada, insurance, security fee, fuel surcharge, or airport fees where applicable.
Discounts valid only on everyday low fares and cannot be used in conjunction with promotional, special or seat sale fares.

I don't know whether Air Canada or WestJet offer similar discounts.

Last that I heard Air Canada went away with stand-by tickets when they introduced the Tango, Tango Plus, Latitude, Latitude Plus and Freedom fares. Also they introduced the sameday change fees instead of just being able to stand by for an earlier flight.

The only airline discount for personal use that I am aware of currently is the 10% discount with Canjet.

Sounds interesting.  But by saying "active duty" does that preculde members of the resverves?  Only if they are on deployment?

Thoughts S.V.P

I am student who has to fly across the country many times a year, and I can share some tips on saving money flying across the country:
1. Book at least 1 month before date of travel, and never more than 2 months before date of travel. Seat sales usually occur for flights around a month before travel.
2. For the Vancouver - Toronto flights and back, there is plenty of choice, on top of the usual crowd from Westjet and Air Canada. For example, there is Harmony Airways, a low fare airline, that is reasonably priced, yet has excellent onboard service, including a hot meal, and wine service in flight for all customers.
3. Book directly with the airline, for the most part. Usually booking with a travel agent usually costs more then buying direct.
4. Pay attention to seat sales! I am always alert regarding seat sales, and when they occur, which helps when I am booking flights.
5. Occasionally, flights with a stop are cheaper than direct flights. Look into those flights, if you do not mind the extra time switching between flights.
6. Red-eye flights are usually more cheaper than flights at other hours. But due to the fact that they are often cheaper, they fill up faster. So book early if it is a red-eye!

For me, just to fly Vancouver to Toronto, given enough advanced notice, I usually pay less then $220 dollars each way with taxes and such, compared to friends who usually pay a lot more.

I'm 99% sure reservist can take advantage of Canjet's 10% off. If you need clarification though, try giving them a call on their 1-800 number. Everytime I fly with them they just ask for my service number.

Back