• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Children of Forces personnel

ToolMaker

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm thinking of joining, but I have 3 kids in school (one in high school). My fear is what impact the constant moves in the first few years would have on them. Any thoughts or stories to share? My wife and I own our home, and were thinking maybe we wouldn't move until the kids finished school, no matter where I was posted. Has anyone been in a similiar situation?

ToolMaker said:
I'm thinking of joining, but I have 3 kids in school (one in high school). My fear is what impact the constant moves in the first few years would have on them. Any thoughts or stories to share? My wife and I own our home, and were thinking maybe we wouldn't move until the kids finished school, no matter where I was posted. Has anyone been in a similiar situation?

My sister and I were army brats and I can't say the experience was particularly negative. Moved around Canada and the States, got to know some interesting cultures.

I would have much preferred things to be the way I experienced them than have been left somewhere with my mom and sister for a posting or two. Overseas deployments were tough enough, and they aren't nearly as long as a posting.

I was a base brat too, and I always found that most of the time, the experiences were positive ones.  Sure, you have to move and leave your friends, but on the other hand, you are going somewhere new.  Most people I went to high school with had only ever been a couple hours drive from their home town.

Postings are not necessarily every few years.  Depends on trade level, openings, etc.  I don't think I'd want to start my career with a separated posting.  Besides, if you haven't even applied yet, it could be a while before your application is completed and you go to BMQ.  Depending on what trade you choose, your family might not be posted with you until after your QL3 (trades training) course.

Back