• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Chinese Military,Political and Social Superthread

One question: What exactly is "voluntary conscription"?

Conscription usually is not voluntary and voluntary is well - volunteers.

Or is my crayon brain not working correctly....

Similar to the concept of being « volun-told »

For the Danes, who have become a pet project of mine, all 18 year old males are conscripted but the Forces only take in a fraction of those conscripted. The opportunity is attractive so there are more people interested in joining than are allowed to join. Consequently the government doesn't have to compel or coerce any of its conscripts. It relies on that portion of the conscripts that volunteer to wear the uniform.

Actually it is very similar to the old Militia system where everyone was in the Militia but then you had sedentary, ready and active people on the rolls.

Women are not conscripted in Denmark but they can volunteer and become part of the conscript intake.

How to engage? Jaw-Jaw or War-War?

Graduate job applicants in China today fall into one of three categories, says Julia Zhu, director of recruiter Robert Walters China.

Some have rare skills that are in high demand in the tech or green energy sectors and are able to secure high salaries. But a second group feels helpless. Their skills do not match the economy’s needs. “There are things that they cannot control and the market is going down,” says Zhu.

“There is another portion who have just given up,” she adds. “They just stay at home and hang around and accept that they will have this kind of gap year for two or three years.”

Their prospects are in stark contrast to President Xi Jinping’s “Chinese dream” of turning China into a high-income nation. Youth unemployment hit a record high of 21pc in June, China’s growth model has broken and economists warn the nation is teetering on the edge of a debt crisis.

China has stopped reporting youth unemployment figures. "Consent of the governed" issue?

The world will always have an "Imperial Power".

Rome, The Mongols, Britain and the US and USSR were all empires despite the US denying they were an empire.

My laws are better than your laws.
My laws are better than yours.

A law: an opinion enforced by the coercive power of the state.

A Canadian warship has at least 3 encounters with Chinese ships as it patrols contested waters​

But hours earlier, in the darkness, a small vessel used laser lights on HMCS Ottawa.

"I actually got hit with the laser itself," Sailor 1st Class William Monkhouse-Beck told CBC News on the ship. "It can obviously cause permanent eye damage. What were they doing? We don't actually know. That's the danger of it."
The small Chinese vessel also launched a drone toward HMCS Ottawa, but kept it at a distance.

A Canadian warship has at least 3 encounters with Chinese ships as it patrols contested waters​

But hours earlier, in the darkness, a small vessel used laser lights on HMCS Ottawa.

"I actually got hit with the laser itself," Sailor 1st Class William Monkhouse-Beck told CBC News on the ship. "It can obviously cause permanent eye damage. What were they doing? We don't actually know. That's the danger of it."
The small Chinese vessel also launched a drone toward HMCS Ottawa, but kept it at a distance.

Short burst from the Phalanx can solve those pesky laser issues…

Looks like we will have an inquiry.

Two things that struck me:

1) This judge has no background in national security or intelligence. I was hoping for a judge with a background in that area.

2) All parties agreed to the NDP demand of the inquiry to look at ALL foreign interference. That means it will be bogged down in looking into Russian, Iranian and Indian interference. Not suggesting they shouldn’t be looked into, but it’s quite obvious that Chinese interference is on a scale that dwarfs the other three a largely benefits the governing party, although all parties should be doing a thorough house cleaning.

Looks like we will have an inquiry.

Two things that struck me:

1) This judge has no background in national security or intelligence. I was hoping for a judge with a background in that area.

2) All parties agreed to the NDP demand of the inquiry to look at ALL foreign interference. That means it will be bogged down in looking into Russian, Iranian and Indian interference. Not suggesting they shouldn’t be looked into, but it’s quite obvious that Chinese interference is on a scale that dwarfs the other three a largely benefits the governing party, although all parties should be doing a thorough house cleaning.
Team Blue Canada's taking credit for this, too (archived link here) ...

Well, if your own Government doesn’t give a rat’s ass about Chinese interference, at least talk with one that does…

I wonder how this will affect Canada's future involvement in alliance stuff, information sharing, etc... Trudeau's apparent limp response to China's interference must be setting alarm bells off within allied circles.

I wonder how this will affect Canada's future involvement in alliance stuff, information sharing, etc... Trudeau's apparent limp response to China's interference must be setting alarm bells off within allied circles.
I think we’re well on our way to being a China-sympathizing pariah nation…

This judge has no background in national security or intelligence. I was hoping for a judge with a background in that area.
You would be very hard pressed to find one that does.

I think we’re well on our way to being a China-sympathizing pariah nation…
I'm not sure if as a country we are. Public surveys general trend to Canadians having a massively unfavourable view of China. The fact that little Trudeau is following old Trudeau's 1970s views of China simply show lack of imagination within one particular ruling clique. Yes there are economical considerations to stay linked to China but that doesn't require rolling onto your back to get your tummy rubbed.

🍻

Back