• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Chinese Military,Political and Social Superthread

This is an insurgency of "death by a thousand very tiny cuts" and one day you wake up and.....the infection has spread too far.
That should be a real fear of every Canadian…or at least those who don’t put personal gain at the hands of foreign state subversion ahead of the citizens…

That should be a real fear of every Canadian…or at least those who don’t put personal gain at the hands of foreign state subversion ahead of the citizens…
Unfortunately most Canadians will ignore the warnings - have ignored the warnings. The current GoC is certainly not helping. The PM and his staff distrust CSIS and the CAF, or maybe a few of them have a iron in that fire.....

They're everywhere......

LONDON—Beijing is conducting espionage activities on what Western governments say is an unprecedented scale, mobilizing security agencies, private companies and Chinese civilians in its quest to undermine rival states and bolster the country’s economy.

Rarely does a week go by without a warning from a Western intelligence agency about the threat that China presents.

Last month alone, the Federal Bureau of Investigation said a Chinese state-linked firm hacked 260,000 internet-connected devices, including cameras and routers, in the U.S., Britain, France, Romania and elsewhere. A Congressional probe said Chinese cargo cranes used at U.S. seaports had embedded technology that could allow Beijing to secretly control them. The U.S. government alleged that a former top aide to New York Gov. Kathy Hochul was a Chinese agent.

There were a number of young, male East Asians on my particular group touring HMCS Harry deWolf (which is not at all surprising given the ethnic mix in Toronto) and like most people were taking pictures of the many interesting parts of the ship along the tour. I did however find it curious when one of them was taking pictures of the electrical panels in the passageways. Perhaps an electrical engineering student? Simply a photo fanatic that reinforces the picture-taking stereotype of Asian tourists?

I can't imagine that any useful information could possibly be gathered from an electrical panel that had nothing more than a Siemens nameplate and a Voltage/Amperage rating on it, but given everything else you hear about Chinese information gathering efforts it does kind of make you go hmmmm.

There were a number of young, male East Asians on my particular group touring HMCS Harry deWolf (which is not at all surprising given the ethnic mix in Toronto) and like most people were taking pictures of the many interesting parts of the ship along the tour. I did however find it curious when one of them was taking pictures of the electrical panels in the passageways. Perhaps an electrical engineering student? Simply a photo fanatic that reinforces the picture-taking stereotype of Asian tourists?

I can't imagine that any useful information could possibly be gathered from an electrical panel that had nothing more than a Siemens nameplate and a Voltage/Amperage rating on it, but given everything else you hear about Chinese information gathering efforts it does kind of make you go hmmmm.

20 odd years ago I was at yet another food industry show where large multinationals like my employer were launching new processing equipment.

The talk of the show was the large number of Chinese with cameras crawling around the floor to get "upskirt" pictures of the new machines. Knockoffs ensued within months.

Back