• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Choice of Reg Force Infantry regiment ( merged )

Depends if you're RCR, PPCLI or the French one (I'm sorry, I don't recall what they are called, R2 something?)
That narrows down the location.

Yeah that's the thing, we dont know yet what division we are gonna be !!

Davidtp said:
So im wondering , btw valcartier, gagetown, petawawa or edmonton.

Thank you :)

There is also CFB Shilo, 2 PPCLI is based there.

niftynicolemarie said:
Depends if you're RCR, PPCLI or the French one (I'm sorry, I don't recall what they are called, R2 something?)

...D2...  ::)

Davidtp said:
Yeah that's the thing, we dont know yet what division we are gonna be !!
Point being you'll either be posted to:
Shiloh or Edmonton (PPCLI)
Valcartier (R22R)
Gagetown or Petawawa (RCR)
Depending on which division you'll be. There is really no way of knowing until then :)

*edited to add: I am in no way a recruiter, career manager or anything like that... this is just what I've been told as a spouse of someone who is now 2RCR.

2nd Battalion of the R22eR is in Quebec City.  1 and 3 R22eR are in Valcartier.

Davidtp said:
Hey, leaving for bmq tomorow morning. As of now i have no clue where am i gonna end up after. Will they ask for preference or ? So im wondering , btw valcartier, gagetown, petawawa or edmonton.

Thank you :)

You might be given a choice during your DP1 (battle school) on which battalion you want to go to in your regiment, after you graduate.  You may or may not get your choice depending on the needs of your regiment.  Everyone in the course prior to mine went to Shiloh.  In my course, you could pick 1VP, or 3VP (Edmonton).

stealthylizard said:
You might be given a choice during your DP1 (battle school) on which battalion you want to go to in your regiment, after you graduate.  You may or may not get your choice depending on the needs of your regiment.  Everyone in the course prior to mine went to Shiloh.  In my course, you could pick 1VP, or 3VP (Edmonton).

...and on that note just because you do your DP1/BIQ in Shilo does not mean you will go PPCLI, nor does Meaford mean RCR. Be prepared to go whenever the needs of the Army need you to go.

Dimsum said:
2nd Battalion of the R22eR is in Quebec City.  1 and 3 R22eR are in Valcartier.

Actually, all three Battalions are garrisoned in Valcartier. 2R22eR has a small garrison coy at the Citadelle.

Hello,
Brand new Pte(R) fresh sworn in and getting ready for BMQ in January here with few questions!

The lovely people at the recruiting office who helped us newbies through our paperwork pre swearing ceremony dropped some interesting info on me.

They said as I am from western Canada they will try to get me into a western base that has a regular force bat of my trade however I was hoping to strike out east where the land is cheap and I can start a family.

They instructed me to make this known when I arrive at St. Jean which leaves me a few questions I was too embarrassed to ask at the time and slow up the proceedings.

The questions are as follows:

Who do I make it known to? I have a feeling just approaching people and saying "I'd like to go to Gagetown to be with the 2RCR" to anyone I meet "might" not be the wisest course of action. May I assume I will know when its time to pipe up?

For any of you guys serving in NB are there Reg Force Infantry needed in Gagetown right now or is it pretty full around the base?

Understanding that it is logistically cheaper/easier to NOT move my belongings accross the country on account of my preference, does this happen? Where would you put the chances between 0-10?

I feel that before you respond you should understand that I am aware that the CFs need of me comes before my preferences. I need to assure you you'll hear no belly aching from me if I end up at CFB Shilo, CFB Edmonton or CFB anywhere else, I'll make it work.
I also want to assure you I'm not looking for certainty or only fact, just some insight into the process and how I will fit into it. Theres also no way in hell I'd ever say "but I was told on the internet ____" so please don't worry about that kind of thing.

If you've got the time  and you're so inclined please give me some info or whatever you've got, I'd love to discuss it.

Thanks in advance,
AllSmiles

Where am i most likely to go after bmq(infantry)
stealthylizard said:
You might be given a choice during your DP1 (battle school) on which battalion you want to go to in your regiment, after you graduate. 

LunchMeat said:
...and on that note just because you do your DP1/BIQ in Shilo does not mean you will go PPCLI, nor does Meaford mean RCR. Be prepared to go whenever the needs of the Army need you to go.

CFR FCS said:
The only occupation that currently allows you a choice of regimental affiliation is Infantryman. You have three regimental choices (RCR, PPCLI and R22eR) when you apply and even then you cannot be guaranteed of the battalion you will be assigned to let alone the company. The only way to get what you want is to be top student on your occupational training course as they USUALLY get their first choice. You go where you are needed most at the time you complete your training. Your preferences are taken into consideration but bottom line you go where you are told.

Hope this answers your question.

CFR FCS

Thank you MarioMike
I knew I had read that, it seemed to be in conflict with what the recruiters told me.
Though I cannot remember their exact wording they gave me the impression that I should make it known pre graduation with the suggestion that us recruits had been accepted with our future postings in mind.
It felt like they were saying we'll all go to Shilo or Edmonton and if we had another preference to make it known.

I assumed they were training us to fit openings there. Any insight into this being how the CF operates?

So I am not quite sure where to ask, or even how to ask this.

I am wondering what a Pte(R) can expect as their assigned regiment(?) in the next 12 months. It may be looking a bit too far ahead, but is there some sort of desperate manpower shortage in either of the three regiments?

I ask because I everything I am doing so far is to join the R22eR, but I know that it's not really up to me.

SandwichBoy said:
I am wondering what a Pte(R) can expect as their assigned regiment(?) in the next 12 months. It may be looking a bit too far ahead, but is there some sort of desperate manpower shortage in either of the three regiments?

Where Am I Most Likely to Go after BMQ (Infantry)?
https://army.ca/forums/threads/116311.0

I have seen that post when I used the search function, with your answer quoting a comment from 2008.

At the time we were still in Afghanistan, but now with a "peacetime" army is that quote still applicable?

I saw the title and thought "Regiment Man" was another new superhero.

Now, I'm disappointed.

Back