• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Choosing a reserve unit to apply to and the trades on application

PhoenixRising

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys. I've been researching the army reserves for quite a while, and am getting closer to being able to apply (I have some health and fitness goals I want to reach first). I live in Winnipeg where there are 6 different army reserve units. In my understanding, to apply to the reserves, you should go directly to the unit where you are seeking a job. I also know that I should have 3 trade choices for my application. The thing is, the trades I'm interested in are, for the most part, offered at different units! Is my best bet to submit one application online listing all the trades and hope that the application is forwarded to all of the appropriate units, or should I go in person to each unit separately and apply there? 4/6 army reserve units in Winnipeg offer trades that I am interested in so it seems like it'd be a lot of running around to apply if that is the case, but I'm also worried about messing up my application by listing trades that aren't all available in one unit.

I also have a related question regarding the navy reserve. In Winnipeg there is only one navy reserve unit, but it offers a few trades that the army reserve does not, which I am interested in. Is it possible to apply to both environments at once? Alternately, is it possible to apply to the navy if my application for the army is rejected/I don't get a job offer, or would a rejection from one environment mean a definite rejection from other environments?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but this is all stuff I've tried to figure out via research and had trouble finding the answers. I'd go to my local recruiting office, but I'm always at work when it's open, unfortunately.

Good Evening,

A couple things:

1) "I also know that I should have 3 trade choices for my application".  This is a misconception, you can have a maximum of 3 trade choices, but you only "have" to pick 1.
2) With Reserves you will only be able to list trades in the unit that you are joining.  You cannot list trades from several units because that one unit will be responsible for doing certain aspects of your enrollment.
3) You should speak with each unit that offers what you want to do and pick the one that best suits your interests as your application will only be forwarded to one unit.
4) No it is not possible to apply to both the Army Reserve and Navy Reserve, as with above information you can only apply to one reserve unit.  You can change your mind at a later time, but your file will be transferred to the other reserve unit.

And finally if you don't get accepted into whatever your first trade choice is the Military Career Counselor that you will meet with will give you what your options are.

Cheers,
Sgt Laen

Thank you Sergeant Laen, that really clears up a lot. The knowledge that I can/should only apply to one unit at a time helps me narrow down my trade choices. Although I'm interested in the combat arms as well (and Winnipeg has several reserve units dedicated to them), I think I'll be submitting my application to the 38th Service Battalion, because it has multiple trades that I'm interested in.

Thanks again, it really cleared everything up.  :salute:

Back