• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

civi jobs in the after life

I apologize MedTech I had misunderstood...Thank you for clarifying..I agree 100% with you.

IMHO - The military doesn't train you for the after life - that's up to you.  There are tons of opportunities out there though to use programs to help pay for non-mil stuff, but you have to put the time/effort into them.  I used to joke too about the only job you'll be qualified for it dispatching taxies (that's an OLD joke) - I'll let you know in a month though or two if there is something else out there directly related to Sigs (non heavily computer related)......I know a guy who knows a guy let's just say.

The Signals trade is evolving quickly.  Over the next 5-10 years the CF is going to keep on keeping up with technology and industry.  Operators will become more than mast monkeys or cam net slingers, so long as we have the dough and infrastructure to allow this I suppose.  Computers and computer related equipment is quickly replacing a lot of what we use. 

My suggestion - get your hands into EVERYthing.  The Army is pretty good at protecting themselves from having everyone leave for greener pastures -  but with the right experience and training, anyone in the comms world will be leaving (finishing contracts or retiring included) with a wealth of knowledge far better than the guys leaving right now and just recently.

"I can swap a 524 in less than a minute, can you?"

Bin

You can swap a 524?? hmmm im not sure what you are talking about.... are you  sure thats not a 512?

ShediacNB said:
You can swap a 524?? hmmm im not sure what you are talking about.... are you  sure thats not a 512?

You are showing your youth/age.  He is talking about Legacy equipment.

ShediacNB said:

:rofl:

kids.........

Finishing my 20 years in the CF in Dec 08. Loved the job the life and most of all the experience, but as for translating quals to civvie life, I forsee it as starting fresh. Looking forward to making the best of it.

ZBM2 - Not that I have to tell anyone with your experience about this - but it's prob best to put the word out for others reading this thread.  The CF has lots of programs for those leaving us.  Some of us are a little rusty on the whole resume and interview front - so it's best to beef up before heading out.

Having a friend in HR (civy side), it's interesting to hear about how some Ex-Military pers really aren't ready to take on a job outside of uniform.  Resumes not directed to the job, poor interview skills, inability to put things in "English" (aka - too many military abbreviations) are just a couple of things this friend sees all the time.  That and the fact that some truly believe that they should be paid close to what they make now -  :eek:.

I'll skip links to anything as I'm sure a search will cover more ground with more knowledgable people on the subject.

Good luck on the street - see you there soon.......or not.   ???

Bin

another deciding factor would be OSQ courses would it not? i know that two LCIS techs can have two very different jobs,  where one of them may know a great detail about a certain aspect of the trade and one may not have a clue about it? is this true, any other LCIS would be able to go deeper into depth into this, but that is the way i saw it as being a very verstaile job/career/trade

Back