• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Civie career after RMC?

As Duey said.

Lessons Learned.

When posting your thoughts in a public medium, make sure your are clear and concise in what you want to say.  You are leaving a permanent record of your views, which are being assessed and evaluated by a great number of people.  Their impressions of you are being conceived by the words you write.  Those words can not be taken back.  First impressions last a long time.  

As they like to say at the Career Manager's Briefing: "You are your own Career Manager."  Ingratiating yourself after the fact does nothing to improve your situation.  Weight your thoughts and words before you publish them.

SupersonicMax said:
Oh well, I'll do what's best for me. I have aspirations in life.  If the CF makes me happy after 7 years (well, it's 7 years after wings for pilots...)  I'll stay if not, I'll go.  Believe me though that I'll do my job the best I can during those mandatory service years...  I'll be loyal to the organisation.  And yes the military is, for me, a scholarship as any I could have gotten if I went to a civilian university.  Free education, free flight training (very good flight training in fact), free flying experience on great planes. 

The CFs is, to my eyes like any other jobs... The day yourmy job doesn't fulfill my requirements (short and medium terms), I'll quit. 

If the CFs weren't not happy about people like me then I don't believe they would make advertisement through publicity and CFRC that they offer a free education.

Max

Wow....a future officer, coming out of RMC spouting off like that instills so much confidence in all the NCOs reading it.

Did you forget to turn on the brain filter before typing this or is it on the fritz?

With a comment like the one you stated.....and I normally don't wish ill of anyone, I have to say this: I trully hope you flunk out of training.

That was the most self-centered, self serving dreck I've ever heard from an RMC cadet....further reinforcing a stereotype that has been ongoing for generations.

Well done you!

*sounds of rings hitting tables in the background*

I don't think people will quit for superficial reasons... Anyways, I hope not!!! 

Sounds like you have already have with the above quoted statement.    ::)

First impressions last a long time. 

George hit the nail on the head    ;)

Regards

Franko,

Ease off, old boy.  We are actually making some progress here with Max.  I'm not prepared to go back two pages of posts and start over again...

It seems to me like the people who openly talk about leaving the CF after their mandatory service period are either pilots or preppies.

Now, I don't know that many pilots, and some are very dedicated to the CF, however, the majority of people I know who just want to do their time and get out, are pilots. Maybe it's just one of those weird coincidences that has no statistical value, and I hope so, but it struck me.

Also, people who have gone out and done stuff between leaving High School and joining the CF seem to have less of a desire to quit after doing their time. My friends who have gone through CEGEP instead of going to Prep year, mostly don't wanna do their time and quit. On the other hand, many preppies just want the free education. I think there's something to be said about that. I definately didn't suddenly become wise after two years of CEGEP (nobody does) but I think it helped me, and others like me, learn a tiny bit more about what the world is about. For those who went from HS to Prep, it seems that they went from being (potentially) sheltered by their parents and their school, to being sheltered by the military leadership, and didn't go out in the big bad world.

I'm not saying we shouldn't allow people to go straight to Prep, because that's the whole point of having it, but there's a definitive problem with the way RMC operates. Maybe the idea of IV years living in town will defuse some of those problems of not knowing what the world is about, but I don't know.

I hate to throw a problem out without at least a tentative solution, but for this one I'm stumped.

Oh, and before you guys flame me: this is what I've personally noticed, and I'm not saying RMC is absolutely without a doubt like that. As our little Pilot Max friend can attest, first years are stupid, anyways.

SupersonicMax said:
Oh well, I'll do what's best for me. I have aspirations in life.  If the CF makes me happy after 7 years (well, it's 7 years after wings for pilots...)  I'll stay if not, I'll go.  Believe me though that I'll do my job the best I can during those mandatory service years...  I'll be loyal to the organisation.  And yes the military is, for me, a scholarship as any I could have gotten if I went to a civilian university.  Free education, free flight training (very good flight training in fact), free flying experience on great planes. 

The CFs is, to my eyes like any other jobs... The day yourmy job doesn't fulfill my requirements (short and medium terms), I'll quit. 

If the CFs weren't not happy about people like me then I don't believe they would make advertisement through publicity and CFRC that they offer a free education.

Max

I’m curious to know if you said the same thing during your interview ?

Ark, I did say the exact same thing I just said.  And honestly, the Major that was interviewing me had the same opinion.  Maybe that's luck. 

Frederick.  I never said first year are stupid. If you can quote me on that I'd be pleased to admit it.  Everybody went through 1st year and yes that's a pain in the ass...

Oh and just so you know, I already live off campus.  I "am" in the "big bad world".  If you read the entire post, you could see that no, I don't expect to quit after mandatory service.  But I say that it is an option to be considered!  But as long as the CF are good enough, I'll stay...  I don't even think about end of mandatory service...  I think more about getting through MJ.

Max

Having followed this thread, one very similar with the same arguments and people, and watched it consume several evenings' chats, I finally see one useful bit of info..........

RecceDG said:
But I also want to point something else out - my membership in the Canadian Forces Bizarre Career Path Club has actually done me, personally, a great deal of good. It was a HELL of a way to get here... but I learned a lot along the way and I think I'm a better officer for it.

We have a CF Bizarre Career-Path Club?!  I am SO in!!    Hell, I should be a charter member; why wasn't I told?  ;D

SupersonicMax said:
<snip>
But if sometimes in the future, I'm just not happy anymore as a military I'll quit.  And I think it would be better that way for the CFs and for me!  It's like a couple.. The day you're not happy with each other, you break up!! 
<snip>
Max
Since sarcasm is quite difficult to detect on the Internet (unless the 2 exclamation marks count as sarcasm), this speaks volumes about Generation X-Box: as soon as one encounters a problem (be it in life, in marriage, or the military), QUIT!!!! Hell yeah, just quit. Don't bother to try to tough it out. Don't talk it over. Dispose of your job, your spouse, or your children like yesterdays newspaper (you do know what one of those is, don't you?! They predate the internet and are handy for lining birdcages, or wrapping fish and chips in).

I pray that that isn't your attitude, and you are being sarcastic. Please tell me that. Otherwise everything I have secretly thought bad about the youth of today (yes, I'm only 37, but sometimes feel like I am Rip Van Winkle, missing a good 500 years of so called progress in society), such as the records set for shortest marriage ever closing in on being measured with egg-timers rather than calendars.

One thing I admire (if I can call it that) is your honesty. That's about it, though. But that's like saying "Yeah, I'm a shitty soldier: what of it?!?". Honesty doesn't make up for a lack of dedication, integrity or loyalty. Please don't go Armoured officer. Sometimes I think we have enough people like you already, but they just aren't bold enough to announce it in public, is all.

Al

We have a CF Bizarre Career-Path Club?

Didn't you get the memo? I gave it to the clerk...

...oh, right, he remustered to chaplain last week. Never mind.

Please don't go Armoured officer. Sometimes I think we have enough people like you already

???

Are we in the same Corps?

DG

JourneyMan, didn't you read that I wouldn't quit for superficial reason?  And that I hope people don't quit for superficial reasons?  I mean, if someones is NOT happy with his life, why wouldn't he change it? 

I actually discussed that issue with few of my classmates and they seem to agree that it is indeed better for the CFs and yourself to quit if you're just not satisfied with what you are doing.  That just makes life easier for everybody in your environment.  Personnally, sometimes, I see people that hate what they are doing in the CFs and still staying and I don't think this is the right thing to do.  Yes it is something to serve your country but make it worthwhile, for the CF and for you.

Max

SupersonicMax said:
JourneyMan, didn't you read that I wouldn't quit for superficial reason?  And that I hope people don't quit for superficial reasons?  I mean, if someones is NOT happy with his life, why wouldn't he change it? 

Sorry Max, it wasn't my line. You're getting all defensive against the wrong person. I care only about the Bizarre Career-path Club! ;)

(which isn't to say I don't care about you.......  ::) .......but actually, no, I don't really care about you; go back several pages to the "initial impressions" point  )

If you base you first impressions over the internet, in front of a computer, I think this is a problem ;)

Maybe you aren't happy with the military ::)

Max

Max...

Journeyman isn't the type you should make cracks about or even dismiss in the way you did, If I was an RMC cadet the last person I think I would wish to anger would be someone like Journeyman...that would be my friendly way of telling you to maybe ease up on the flipant comments in his general direction.

You have been given the friendly warning from me and some others from here on out it might not be so well worded...more like my response to you in the Chat last night.

Hit out!

Flippant wasn't the way this was supposed to go... That's why I used smileys. 

Further to my last,

As for not basing an opinion on words seen on the internet, My personal belief is that If you would think it and say it here then that's pretty much the way you are in person.

If you constantly describe someone as an A$$hole but.... then really eventually you gotta think isn't his over riding quality that he is just an A$$hole with a few good things thrown in?

SupersonicMax said:
Maybe you aren't happy with the military ::)

::) is not a smiley....this :) or this  ;D is...

what you put up is rolling your eyes, I'll let myself hope and believe it was a genuine mistake.

All right, I'll change it if I can...  Rolling the eyes with a smile means this is a joke to me but the important is the interpretation by the receiver ;)

Max

RecceDG said:
Are we in the same Corps?

DG

My reference about not going Armour officer was to Superdupersonic Minimum, or whatever his name is. I would look back, but whatever, that's difficult, so, like, you know, I gave up. That's a little humour at his expense.

There are too many in the Corps (at all rank levels frankly) that think this way. And maybe my dig about a LOT of pilot washouts going Armour officer, and poisoning the Corps (IMO) with that type of mentality (SuperfluousMaxiPad's, that is) was probably lost on everyone, but me.

I'll give up on the juvenile riffing on his "too kewl for words" screen name now.

Al

Back