• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Claim for broken antique vanity

TCM621

Subscriber
Reaction score
During my move we had a number of broken items and the most concerning one is an antique vanity of my daughters. I can't even begin to think of how to claim that. Has anyone had to file a claim for broken antiques?

During my move we had a number of broken items and the most concerning one is an antique vanity of my daughters. I can't even begin to think of how to claim that. Has anyone had to file a claim for broken antiques?
Did you have it appraised and insured differently than your normal contents of your household? That would make the claim easier. If not it still isn't the end of the world, you just need to prove the value through reasonable comparables or expert opinion. Some stuff is easier to valuate than others and there is a whole range of things that effect value and how others value it.

Regardless the loss of personal value sucks if it was a cherished piece

We had the moving company lose part of a handmade bed set. The insurance company hired a furniture restorer to build a new piece. The guy did such a good job, it was impossible to tell after which was the new piece.

it is not necessarily the end of the world that an antique was damaged. Often, they can repaired.

Reactions: MJP
We had the moving company lose part of a handmade bed set. The insurance company hired a furniture restorer to build a new piece. The guy did such a good job, it was impossible to tell after which was the new piece.

it is not necessarily the end of the world that an antique was damaged. Often, they can repaired.
I hope I can get it repaired. It would be a shame to lose it.

Prior to having the moving company handle it was it identified as an antique? This could have bearing on your outcome and what they will do for you. Check your paperwork to see what it says. If not they may only consider vanity purchase price X, years depreciated, cost to replace, here is your cheque with our magical number on it. My children's table that could not be replaced even through an online and ebay search got me $100 based on what I paid and the years we had it.

Back