• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Close Area Suppression Weapon (was Company Area Suppression Weapon)

Arius said:
Nick Papiccio, vice president of business development for Rheinmetall Canada , Saint-Jean-sur-Richeleau, Quebec, said the firm will bid on CASW, proposing the Heckler and Koch 40mm grenade launcher. He said the Heckler and Koch weapon is respected among military customers and is in use in 16 countries. Rheinmetall Canada would integrate a fire-control computer and thermal sight on the Heckler and Koch weapon. It has also modified the tripod to allow the weapon to be used in an indirect-fire mode, said Duncan Hills, director of government relations and industrial benefits for Rheinmetall Canada .....

If the past describes the future I'm putting a case of beer on this being the final solution.....

Well, there's a good argument there for starting up a SOM (Save Our Mortars) Facebook page, petition or something. We could plan a thousand man march on Defence Procurement HQ... in increments  ;D

I already buy my own boots, intend to buy my own ruck, whats a 60mm worth these days?

;D

RWS in US units here hold anything from the M240 (C6 for Canadians) to .50 M2HB and Mk19 -- If I had to guess I would give the nod to Hk, but the US Mk47 is also a nice piece of kit.

Sole sourcing the AGL for the RWS from CASW is IMHO a no brainer -- why would you add another AGL system...

Infidel-6 said:
RWS in US units here hold anything from the M240 (C6 for Canadians) to .50 M2HB and Mk19 -- If I had to guess I would give the nod to Hk, but the US Mk47 is also a nice piece of kit.

Sole sourcing the AGL for the RWS from CASW is IMHO a no brainer -- why would you add another AGL system...

Because, when we are buying things to blow people up, we need to be 'fair' of course.  ;)

popnfresh said:
I already buy my own boots, intend to buy my own ruck, whats a 60mm worth these days?

;D

I saw this for sale not all that long ago:

60mm Canadian Mortar -  bipod and tube with wooden issued box  $495.00  (Cdn Fund)

Original Canadian 60mm mortar bipods in box. Supplied with unpainted dummy tube. No base plate. Minor fitting required for tube to fit bipod collar.

There you go <smile>.

Cheers,

MC

Army loses bureaucratic mortar skirmish

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=790726ea-0881-43c7-90d6-ee2e33a9a192

"Arrrrgggggg......"

- Charlie Brown -

The village idiot, inbred, half wit bean counter who forced that decision on the CF should be put in uniform, then sent directly to the sandbox to a front line unit to see the impact his/her decision will have. I have so little time for the Treasury Board and Public Works...

Grrrrr.

Teeps74 said:
The village idiot, inbred, half wit bean counter who forced that decision on the CF should be put in uniform, then sent directly to the sandbox to a front line unit to see the impact his/her decision will have. I have so little time for the Treasury Board and Public Works...

Grrrrr.

"The further you are from the sound of the guns, the less you understand"

(W. Natynczyk)

"You spend more time fighting off bureaucrats than you do fighting off  the Taliban, and we're not sure that is the right system"

(Senator Colin Kenny)

Aside from the fact that the AGL is not comparable to a mortar (any mortar) in terms of deployment and effects on the enemy (60mm is a bigger  punch than 40mm), the AGL is essentially a machine gun, and probably has all the problems machine guns have, ie more moving parts that will eventually break, more probability for malfunction (see bottom link) where the mortar is a simple tube that, with the appropriate amount of practice, can rain death upon the enemy with ease. Also, the AGL being a machine gun, it will require  lots of ammo. Where are we supposed to keep that? I dont mean to imply the AGL is useless, its not, it looks awesome. But the mortar should NOT be thrown aside so quickly. Remember when they wanted to that with Tanks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrdrsZZ8Hn8&NR=1

Army has to give up 60mm mortar before the treasury board will approve the procurement of a new automatic grenade launcher system. which required the military to dump one type of weapon before it could buy a new one.

"Shaking my head on this one"  ??? Bureaucratic medling once again. The only battle they ever fought was against a paper jam in a photo copier.

Maybe we should also start recruiting more bureaucratics to send over to Afghanistan, since they've now become weapons experts. ::)

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=790726ea-0881-43c7-90d6-ee2e33a9a192

Just brilliant.  I have a weapon we could give up for the AGL: the TOW missile system.  Hasn't been used (by Canada) since when?  Ever?  Makes more sense than getting rid of a weapon that is not only in good use, but also very effective and easy to maintain.

This is not a Treasury Board / PWGSC decision.  The Army has a finite resource envelope to support its equipment.  The Army, not Treasury Board or PWGSC, decided to offset the cost of operating the new CASW by retiring the 60mm mortar.

dapaterson said:
This is not a Treasury Board / PWGSC decision.  The Army has a finite resource envelope to support its equipment.  The Army, not Treasury Board or PWGSC, decided to offset the cost of operating the new CASW by retiring the 60mm mortar.

Ok, did the army consult the Coys and Pls in the infantry corps for feed back on giving up the 60? I know myself, as a senior PL WO would not give up my 60, not for something that essentially HAS to be vehicle mounted to be useful. (Yes, yes, I know, it can be dismounted, and my troops can carry maybe 200 rds for it... Not at all practical for the dismounted advance though, and do not try to convince me other wise.)

I like the 40mm gun, do not get me wrong. But I like my 60 far more... More fleixibility. Simpler to use. And with practice, deadly accurate.

Mortarman Rockpainter said:
Just brilliant.  I have a weapon we could give up for the AGL: the TOW missile system.  Hasn't been used (by Canada) since when?  Ever?  Makes more sense than getting rid of a weapon that is not only in good use, but also very effective and easy to maintain.

I vote to trade the Eryx for the 60. Anyone else?

daftandbarmy said:
I vote to trade the Eryx for the 60. Anyone else?

The Eryx would be handy when the Americans invade us for our water and oil.  ;D

Trade ADATS for them, at least CASW will get used on OPs. (  ;D Sorry 4AD, there are no magic carpets to shoot down over there ;D )

Teeps74 said:
Ok, did the army consult the Coys and Pls in the infantry corps for feed back on giving up the 60?

Nope.  They consulted the Extended Infantry Advisory Board, I believe - all the COs, the CO of the school, D Inf...  so if there's a problem, ask the senior Infanteers of the Army.

dapaterson said:
Nope.  They consulted the Extended Infantry Advisory Board, I believe - all the COs, the CO of the school, D Inf...  so if there's a problem, ask the senior Infanteers of the Army.

Isn't that how it was decided to issue Garrison Dress?  ;D

Back