• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CMMA - replacing the CP140 Aurora

Briefing tomorrow
STTC is the CC-150 transport (aka Wardair rejects) replacement, not the Aurora replacement. aka Airbus, not Boeing.

Filed under “unrelated news”? (Both stories) 😁

If it was me, I wouldn’t hold me breath on anything official pre-Labour day. Just a WAG, I have no inside knowledge.

Great news. No only more capacity per aircraft (245,000 lbs of fuel for the MRTT vs 80,000 lbs for the Polaris if Wikipedia is to be believed) but also significant increase in the fleet size (9 x MRTT vs 5 CC-150).

Now about the CMMA project...
plus I think only 2 of the CC-150 are tankers and all the CC-330's are going to be MRTT including the VVIP?

one of the CC-150's just got in a fender bender too

edit; apparently 8 MRTT and the one VVIP which should still be able to haul people and stuff if this guy is right

edit no 2 5 are second hand including the two already so pretty fast moving for CAF/DND

Last edited:
A bit more on this here, including the cost to buy the 3 other used planes ($150 million), that pilots have been training in the UK since January, and that there will be three bases (one in the east, one in the west and one in the north). That last is a bit puzzling, since the article states that 2 will fly out of Ottawa, and I think it's safe to say a few would be in Trenton, so that leaves the Western and Northern locations. A bit of a puzzle, and the math does not add up to 3... (Ottawa, Trenton, "Western", and "Northern"). Still though, great news, even if the details are still a bit hazy.

A bit more on this here, including the cost to buy the 3 other used planes ($150 million), that pilots have been training in the UK since January, and that there will be three bases (one in the east, one in the west and one in the north). That last is a bit puzzling, since the article states that 2 will fly out of Ottawa, and I think it's safe to say a few would be in Trenton, so that leaves the Western and Northern locations. A bit of a puzzle, and the math does not add up to 3... (Ottawa, Trenton, "Western", and "Northern"). Still though, great news, even if the details are still a bit hazy.

Two operating locations - one east, one west. One forward deployed location in the north (not permanently occupied). Ottawa as a temporary location for the first two aircraft. The announcement (below) is more precise.

Last edited:
As a history buff - YES PLEASE.

As a realistic military capability...heck no.

As a Canadian hoping for best bang for buck for our military? I think it's as good an option as the Bombardier concept aircraft that's being touted...how about we re-open the bidding process and allow both this AND the Bombardier plane to submit?

A new challanger for MPA? This is out of left field

Cdr Salamander on the usefulness of a seaplane for SAR.

Cdr Salamander on the usefulness of a seaplane for SAR.

There was a recent Taiwan conflict wargame that highlighted exactly the need for the USN in particular to have rescue ships and aircraft to recover crews of both downed aircraft and damaged/sunken ships.

There's already a Canadian-made solution for that role as well (as well as SOF insertion, cargo transport and as a bonus for the "ewww...war is icky crowd"...firefighting)

There was a recent Taiwan conflict wargame that highlighted exactly the need for the USN in particular to have rescue ships and aircraft to recover crews of both downed aircraft and damaged/sunken ships.

There's already a Canadian-made solution for that role as well (as well as SOF insertion, cargo transport and as a bonus for the "ewww...war is icky crowd"...firefighting)

The question I have is ,does it the range to do the job ?

The question I have is ,does it the range to do the job ?
From Wikipedia (for the CL-415...couldn't find stats for the upgraded DHC-515):

Performance

• Maximum speed: 359 km/h (223 mph, 194 kn) Max Cruise
  • Cruise speed: 333 km/h (207 mph, 180 kn) Normal Cruise
  • Stall speed: 126 km/h (78 mph, 68 kn) MLW, Landing Configuration
  • Ferry range: 2,427 km (1,508 mi, 1,310 nmi) 278 km/h (150 kn) Long Range Cruise
  • Endurance: 3 hours at 200 nmi (370 km) from base
  • g limits: +3.25−1.0 g
  • Rate of climb: 5.9 m/s (1,170 ft/min) (ISA, MTOW)
  • Wing loading: 212.5 kg/m2 (43.52 lb/sq ft) Maximum After-scooping
  • Takeoff (ISA): 783 m (2,569 ft) (land), 814 m (2,671 ft) (water)
  • Landing (ISA): 674 m (2,211 ft) (land), 665 m (2,182 ft) (water)

Back