• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Comm Research

Bbmoveup

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
60
LoKe said:
Is that just based on the recruiting page?  00120 is low on Air Force and Navy, and have been for years.  The CM won't even entertain Navy or Air Force to Army DEU changes.

For a month it only showed army (for the new fiscal year) now its back to all three (on the website that is).
 
Reaction score
0
Points
60
Applying for the AVOTP. COMM RSCH is my choice.

Questions I have are:
- POST QL3 how does it take to start and complete everything you need for QL5A?
- What is QL5 training for COMM RSCH? OJT and a task sheet/log book to complete? A course you have to get loaded onto?

Thanks in advance.
 

211RadOp

Sr. Member
Reaction score
2
Points
230
AuthenticTshirt said:
Applying for the AVOTP. COMM RSCH is my choice.

Questions I have are:
- POST QL3 how does it take to start and complete everything you need for QL5A?
- What is QL5 training for COMM RSCH? OJT and a task sheet/log book to complete? A course you have to get loaded onto?

Thanks in advance.

The Comm Rsch DP2 (QL5) is residential and will take place at CFSCE in Kingston.  It is about 2 months long.  Your Career Manager will load you on the course when/as seats become available.
 

Alpheus

New Member
Reaction score
0
Points
110
While I am waiting to be loaded on a DP1 course, I have the opportunity to take some courses through Microsoft Total Access at globalknowledge.com  https://www.globalknowledge.com/ca-en/course/121362/microsoft-total-access-collection/
Would any of these modules in particular be useful to take?
 

PuckChaser

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Mentor
Reaction score
2,045
Points
1,060
If they're free, it can't hurt. Everything is computerized, so having good computer skills even if you don't want to go into the cyber realm is always good for any Sigs trade.
 

95cr

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
10
Hi,

So I just went in for my medical testing and interview. However, when I went into the interview I was notified that I had been approved for the comms research trade. I had applied for 1) FSA 2) HRA and 3) Firefighter trades so this was a complete surprise to me. The captain interviewing me suggested that I post here to see if anyone had any more insight than the minimal amount that he was able to give me. From what I was told it's a classified position and the information on the CAF website is inaccurate and/or vague. Would anyone be able to provide me some other information on this trade? For example, what would be the chances that I get foreign language training? I understand that you most likely won't be able to provide me with very detailed information, however, pretty much anything will help.

Thanks,
 

Brood

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
10
95cr said:
Hi,

So I just went in for my medical testing and interview. However, when I went into the interview I was notified that I had been approved for the comms research trade. I had applied for 1) FSA 2) HRA and 3) Firefighter trades so this was a complete surprise to me. The captain interviewing me suggested that I post here to see if anyone had any more insight than the minimal amount that he was able to give me. From what I was told it's a classified position and the information on the CAF website is inaccurate and/or vague. Would anyone be able to provide me some other information on this trade? For example, what would be the chances that I get foreign language training? I understand that you most likely won't be able to provide me with very detailed information, however, pretty much anything will help.

Thanks,
You don't have to accept the offer.  It's a fine trade, and spec pay is great, but it's still your choice.

Don't get too excited about the classification thing.  Despite what a recruiter may tell you, you won't be James Bond.  291ers deal with the intercept and analysis of foreign communications.  That's about as specific as you're likely to get.

Foreign language training is available, but don't let that be what decides your future. While many do get the opportunity to take these courses, not all will.
 

PuckChaser

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Mentor
Reaction score
2,045
Points
1,060
If you want a desk in an office with no windows inside a steel box, pick Comms Rsch. If you want a desk with the possibility of windows, pick HRA/FSA.
 

PuckChaser

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Mentor
Reaction score
2,045
Points
1,060
Rifleman62 said:
If you're one of the 6 or so folks in the whole trade that get a ship posting, otherwise the steel box is stuck in Letrim.
 

Ostrozac

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
353
Points
930
;)
PuckChaser said:
If you're one of the 6 or so folks in the whole trade that get a ship posting, otherwise the steel box is stuck in Letrim.

And also 21 ELectronic Warfare Regiment in Kingston. Sometimes the steel box has 8 wheels (the EW Bison).
 

TimneyTime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
0
Points
60
PuckChaser said:
If you want a desk in an office with no windows inside a steel box, pick Comms Rsch. If you want a desk with the possibility of windows, pick HRA/FSA.

I feel this isn't really a fair assessment, as once you get your LS/Cpl Spec I, the opportunities in Comms Rsch become WAY better.
 

211RadOp

Sr. Member
Reaction score
2
Points
230
TimneyTime said:
I feel this isn't really a fair assessment, as once you get your LS/Cpl Spec I, the opportunities in Comms Rsch become WAY better.

How?  LS/Cpl have the same posting opportunities as a OS/Pte/Avr.  I don't believe there are any differences until you hit MCpl/MS when you might get to CFSCE, where you work in an (almost) windowless building.

(I am not Comm Rsch but know and have worked with quite a few)
 

Kokanee

Member
Reaction score
0
Points
210
There are plenty of opportunities in the Comm Rsch world for people of every type. Like sitting in a windowless office environment? Go for a posting to Leitrim. Like working in a field environment, with all the benefits that entails? Go for a posting to the EW Regiment in Kingston.

I personally was not wowed with Leitrim when I graduated from my QL3 course after two years (security clearance holdup). But I stuck it out, found aspects of it to enjoy and when I graduated from my QL5 course was able to latch onto a posting to Kingston. Being more of a field-oriented person, and coming from a signals operator background it was a much better fit for me and I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the Regiment and continue to look back on it fondly.

 

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
2,458
Points
1,060
Kokanee said:
There are plenty of opportunities in the Comm Rsch world for people of every type. Like sitting in a windowless office environment? Go for a posting to Leitrim. Like working in a field environment, with all the benefits that entails? Go for a posting to the EW Regiment in Kingston.

Leitrim or the EW Regt = plenty of opportunities? 

8)
 

TimneyTime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
0
Points
60
211RadOp said:
How?  LS/Cpl have the same posting opportunities as a OS/Pte/Avr.  I don't believe there are any differences until you hit MCpl/MS when you might get to CFSCE, where you work in an (almost) windowless building.

(I am not Comm Rsch but know and have worked with quite a few)

I wasn't assuming, or blowing hot air.  I was speaking factually, and with certainty.
 

Kokanee

Member
Reaction score
0
Points
210
Eye In The Sky said:
Leitrim or the EW Regt = plenty of opportunities? 

8)

There are a myriad of different jobs in Leitrim, and many more in Kingston. My point was that there is something for everyone depending on if you like a field environment or an office type environment.
 
Top