• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Comm Research

jmlz87 said:
From what I heard unofficially in the COMM RSCH world at CFSCE, Morse is needed once again, but AFAIK no plans to bring it back into the QL3 curriculum exist (as of yet). Instead, they might bring it back as a Speciality.

just a bit of an update, morse is needed but not everyone will require it from what i've been told it's going to be taught in house for certain people that are on shifts

Hey 291'ers, is there posting avail on the West Coast at all? Someone told me they might have a few in Esquimalt. Just wanted to check this out.

You can check on EMMA if you got access but I doubt there is any positions for Pte-Cpl except in Leitrim and Kingston.

Correction, it would be EMAA and not EMMA. Just google EMAA and you should find it after searching a few links. Everyone in the CF should have an account there. Makes like much easier and less paper work.

Thought I'd thank everyone for the info and give an update.
After spending a couple years now researching and deciding on a trade I finally applied and had my test,interview and medical about 3 1/2 weeks ago. I just called today to get an update and my medical is being sent back from Ottawa as of last week. The gentleman on the phone said that I should be getting a call this week and that it looks like I'll be heading out for Aug.

This is a pretty big change from me as I have a pretty nice job and never lived on the east side of Canada. I'm looking for the long run benefits and career move so hopefully it all pans out.

Quick question, anyone in Kingston know if the QL3 part 2 scheduled for August is happening? I know the last one was canned due to not having enough people with clearances available.

As of today, the Army course calender still has these 4 courses listed as still continuing:

04-Aug-09 29-Oct-09
08-Sep-09 03-Dec-09
11-Jan-10 07-Apr-10
15-Feb-10 11-May-10

Thanks Puck, I'm on parental at the moment so don't have access to the DIN. I guess they'll update the calendar after the course date to write if it happend or not. Looks like I might be spending Christmas and hopefully be on one of the two courses after new year's.

An update, I got a posting message out of the blue in my email. It was sent to the wrong place so it took my unit by surprise. It's a good thing I come in to check my email from time to time on parental.

Is it normal practice to be posted to Kingston for the part 1 month and a half course and then sit and twiddle your fingers waiting for next part? It seems like someone decided to save some money on TD and R&Q to make my family move an extra time before I finish the QL3 and move to Ottawa. I got Level 3 clearance so I won't have to sit around a year and a half waiting for a clearance, which makes this posting more of a mystery. I don't understand why I can't go on TD for the part 1 of the course, come back to the unit where I have gainful employment and not sit on my bum in PAT and then come back when there's a part 2 taking place.

Sorry for the rant but it just boggles the mind.

I'd love to know if I am on part 1 anytime soon, or if I even need to take it.

I've never encountered a simple question that the CF couldn't complicate.

PuckChaser said:
As of today, the Army course calender still has these 4 courses listed as still continuing:

04-Aug-09 29-Oct-09
08-Sep-09 03-Dec-09
11-Jan-10 07-Apr-10
15-Feb-10 11-May-10

I'm completing my BMQ on Oct 23rd 2009, based on the list you posted, is the next course in December or January?
(The course isn't 3 months... what's the date on the right?)

Based on the date's I believe those are for the Comm Rsch Phase 2....which is about 60 training days.  Still have the Phase 1 to do before it

There is another batch of students in the hopper shopping for EWAT jobs now, would anyone care to share any advice, tips, or experiences of EWAT between part 1 and 2?

Personally I am looking for a position at a Res Comm unit, as I used to be a Sig Op, I also have PLQ and a tour.

I would gladly go back to Afghanistan once more as a Sig Op while I wait, though I am told its not possible.

CDN Aviator said:
Understandable considering that you are no longer a Sig Op.

On the surface it makes sense, but its strange considering I instructed a Sig Op QL3 course after I ceased to be a Sig Op!

GDawg said:
There is another batch of students in the hopper shopping for EWAT jobs now, would anyone care to share any advice, tips, or experiences of EWAT between part 1 and 2?

Personally I am looking for a position at a Res Comm unit, as I used to be a Sig Op, I also have PLQ and a tour.

I would gladly go back to Afghanistan once more as a Sig Op while I wait, though I am told its not possible.

They won't send you on tour while awaiting a Security Clearance to go on your Phase 2.  Definately wont send you as a Sig Op....makes no sense since you clearly aren't a Sig Op anymore.

As for EWAT....they have different things.  SLT, 2 EW.  I worked at the C & E Museum for 1 year.  If you want to be EWAT'd to maybe a recruitment centre or unit in your home town....you can do that.  But they'll tell you to set it up yourself....and at no cost to the Crown

Hey GDawg, 2EW is a fantastic place to be posted between phase 1 & 2, you can actually be employed somewhere your skill set can be used. Me? I used to be a Tool and Die Maker's assistant before I joined the forces, so I'm being employed in the Maintenance section. Since you were a Sig Op, you have an opportunity to be used with our sigs section/troop. If you can, don't sit around CFSCE's pat platoon, I hear it's a nightmare over there. Get to the dub, where you can actually learn about the trade.

Does anyone know if the part 2 courses in jan or feb are going to happen? I'm getting no info passed on to me as I am sitting on the BTL on a base not far away from Kingston. I got my TS and even a TD message from Borden but no course message. I asked my chain about special access but I've been told Kingston will take care of it. There isn't much time left before everyone's gone on leave and it's impossible to get any sort of information.

gelan said:
Hey GDawg, 2EW is a fantastic place to be posted between phase 1 & 2, you can actually be employed somewhere your skill set can be used. Me? I used to be a Tool and Die Maker's assistant before I joined the forces, so I'm being employed in the Maintenance section. Since you were a Sig Op, you have an opportunity to be used with our sigs section/troop. If you can, don't sit around CFSCE's pat platoon, I hear it's a nightmare over there. Get to the dub, where you can actually learn about the trade.

I'm working on it, its not my call though, and yes, PAT is a nightmare. I wish the Commandant knew about it...

meni0n said:
Does anyone know if the part 2 courses in jan or feb are going to happen? I'm getting no info passed on to me as I am sitting on the BTL on a base not far away from Kingston. I got my TS and even a TD message from Borden but no course message. I asked my chain about special access but I've been told Kingston will take care of it. There isn't much time left before everyone's gone on leave and it's impossible to get any sort of information.

A friend of mine was tentative loaded for that course, but there is only 8-9 candidates ready for training, so the serials are moving right to hopefully catch more with a clearance.

Back