• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Comm Research

aussiechangover said:
just a bit of an update, morse is needed but not everyone will require it from what i've been told it's going to be taught in house for certain people that are on shifts

If you know anything about programmatically manipulating fourier transforms, morse code becomes a thing computers should do (and there's an app for that)

Kokanee said:
There are a myriad of different jobs in Leitrim, and many more in Kingston. My point was that there is something for everyone depending on if you like a field environment or an office type environment.

My point was that Leitrim and Kingston aren't the only options.  In fact, the first thing they do when the options become available is ask you your posting preferences, and there's a laundry list of places available.  If you wanted to, you could travel to all kinds of exotic places.

I think you are being a little misleading. You could also spend years rotting on shift or in a troop room with the most exotic places you visit being Wainwright or a Shawarma place.

standingdown said:
I think you are being a little misleading. You could also spend years rotting on shift or in a troop room with the most exotic places you visit being Wainwright or a Shawarma place.

That's true of any trade.  There's always a good variety of "punishment" postings available everywhere, and the CF loves shoving people in boxes they don't fit in, but you know... that's all part of playing the game.

TimneyTime said:
That's true of any trade.  There's always a good variety of "punishment" postings available everywhere, and the CF loves shoving people in boxes they don't fit in, but you know... that's all part of playing the game.

No wonder that so many with the real technical skills move onto higher paying, less BS jobs in the government realm. Games are for children.

standingdown said:
No wonder that so many with the real technical skills move onto higher paying, less BS jobs in the government realm. Games are for children.

If you thought you escaped the game by moving to a government position, you are gravely mistaken.  It's less BS in some ways, but more BS in other ways.  I think everyone knows the pitfalls associated with government jobs, so I'm not going to even touch that subject.  Most of the people I know that have gone this route become soulless drones that hate their lives, and take up heavy drinking to self medicate.

If you want to get to the point where you're experienced enough to move on to a higher paying job in the government realm, you'll still need to learn to play the game properly, unfortunately.

You could always just go to University and forget about the military, but I think that's not really what people are looking for for advice on a military forum.

You can also transfer out to civilian jobs from the military, but again, the point of a military forum is to discuss options for the military.  If you take this route, you don't get the military pension.  Most people who go this route sluff this one off, and then when they're 65 and realize they have no savings, they kind of regret it.

standingdown said:

No I'm absolutely not. I personally didn't like Leitrim, but I know many individuals who thrived in that environment and really enjoyed their work/shift life. Conversely, I also know many people who absolutely loved the Regt (myself included) and the field troop lifestyle.

Your criticism of "going nowhere" is more a problem of the headsheds in the CAF not really understanding how to employ tactical EW on missions. A squadron from the Regt could certainly be deployed right now to Mali doing the same highly successful things we did in Afghanistan. But instead the boys are sitting in the troop rooms. I get it, not the most glamorous life but hey you get field pay and wear pajamas every day to work so I consider that the good life.

Kokanee - my comments were not directed at you. I know you know what you're talking about. You’ve lived the good and bad of the trade and military life. Much respect man.

TimneyTime - your last post tells me you either haven’t been in long enough to know what you are talking about, or you have your head in the sand. There are dozens of former Comm Rsch with varying backgrounds/op experience now happily, and gainfully employed in secure and better paying Fed jobs (and elsewhere)

standingdown said:
Kokanee - my comments were not directed at you. I know you know what your talking about. You’ve lived the good and bad of the trade and military life. Much respect man.

TimneyTime - your last post tells me you either haven’t been in long enough to know what you are talking about, or you have your head in the sand. There are dozens of former Comm Rsch with varying backgrounds/op experience now happily, and gainfully employed in secure and better paying Fed jobs (and elsewhere)

Sure there are, I don't know any.  I only know the ones that hate their lives and use alcohol to self medicate.  I should say, I know of them.  I don't invite these people over for dinner or anything, but they're on the radar.

Yes, because there are no people in the CAF that self-medicate with alcohol or drugs...only once you take off the uniform, right?  :rofl:

And of course you don't invite anyone that's suffering mental health issues over for dinner, you wouldn't want to be associated with "those types", would you?

standingdown said:
Yes, because there are no people in the CAF that self-medicate with alcohol or drugs...only once you take off the uniform, right?  :rofl:

And of course you don't invite anyone that's suffering mental health issues over for dinner, you wouldn't want to be associated with "those types", would you?

LOL I didn't want to say anything on self medicating troops, but uh... it may or may not happen.

I only do it at Christmas and Easter when my family visits.

Get the topic back on track.

And I believe the intent of standingdown's comments were missed.

Staff

Anyone have an idea of where you can get posted as a commms researcher? I assume Kingston is one area? Does anyone know here youre most likely to be posted if you get in?

smokey pie said:
Anyone have an idea of where you can get posted as a commms researcher? I assume Kingston is one area? Does anyone know here youre most likely to be posted if you get in?

Kingston or Letrim (Ottawa). Small numbers end up OUTCAN in the US, but you're basically signing up to stay in Kingston or Ottawa unless you get picked for a coveted spot. They may have put the coast (Halifax/Esquimalt) postings back but those were limited in numbers when they I last saw them as well.

PuckChaser said:
Kingston or Letrim (Ottawa). Small numbers end up OUTCAN in the US, but you're basically signing up to stay in Kingston or Ottawa unless you get picked for a coveted spot. They may have put the coast (Halifax/Esquimalt) postings back but those were limited in numbers when they I last saw them as well.
Coastal positions aren't long for this world.  Soon it'll be Kingston (21EW/CFSCE), Ottawa (Leitrim/CJOC,etc), OUTCAN, a handful in Winnipeg.

Back