• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Comm Research

snoop101

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello all
So I got two questions.
First off I understand that Comm research people can be thrown anywhere. The question I have is that I know you get asked a preference to what faction, but what faction usually has the most openings? AS in they might say well we got one opening in the army, but we got a few opening aboard a ship.

Second question I have is if you want to be on a boat or in a port after you have done your basic training and waiting on courses would they send you to Victoria for navy training instead of PAT or is that "jumping the gun"?

While many people in comm rsch are proud of their uniforms, it is just that, a uniform.  Your uniform has no bearing on where your posted, whether its ship or not.  So really you have to ask yourself if you want to wear combats or naval combats.  As for your second question, looking for a navy training before your 3's is jumping the gun a little.  More power to you if you can get loaded, but I don't think it would be likely.

Comm Rsch, as far as I've gathered, is a fairly purple trade.  Your element has little bearing on where you serve, and it's unlikely that you'll ever see a ship unless someone decides to finally retire.  I'm a 291 with the Navy and though I'm still quite new, I don't expect to see a ship within the near future.

I'm on PRETC waiting for my QL3's, which I understand to be broken up into two phases.  After phase 1 while I'm waiting for my clearance, what are my options?  I heard something about being posted to Washington/Baltimore/Kingston/Borden/Ottawa for clerk work or something, what's up with that?

Ha, good luck with that.  The states side postings are avaiable once your in and trained, but ottawa or kingston and your more likely opportunities while awaiting clearance.

LoKe said:
I'm on PRETC waiting for my QL3's, which I understand to be broken up into two phases.  After phase 1 while I'm waiting for my clearance, what are my options?  I heard something about being posted to Washington/Baltimore/Kingston/Borden/Ottawa for clerk work or something, what's up with that?

i know a few people who have finished the part 1 of the course and they were sent on OJT to various places such as 2EW, Leitrim just doing odd jobs, various recruiting centers and speaking for myself i've been in Montreal for an extended period of time, some even chose to undertake 2nd language training. A

DId my phase I in Jan/ 08, still waiting for the clearance. I am in Victoria, BC.
Everyone would love to travel to states, but thats only after you are fully trained, 5s qualified.

EWAT options:  2ew, french language, OR, HMCS ONtario, (all on CFB Kingston) CFB Esqmlt.=Victoria bc, Leitrim, and anything that you may have set up already ie. a lot of resv. to  reg. OTs just go back to their units in home towns.

I'm over @ CFRC Van on EWAT after finishing PH1 QL3 for COMM RSCH JR. Have to say, didn't think I'd get out of PRETC haha.

EWAT pos's avail are pretty much what TChuki said, but if you get clever and contact a unit back home (go through your CoC) you can possibly get a pos over there as long as you're not sitting on your butt. The instructors at CFSCE are real good at getting you onto something after PH1. If you want advice on which is the best option to take, try to find a pos available with a PRes unit or CFRC back home and if that fails, take SLT. It'll help you out a lot come PER time.

Like I said, I'm working over here in CFRC Vancouver as an acting File Manager. If you're ATT POSTED you are not entitled to PLD (don't argue with your CoC on this either) and you're still on CFSCE's payroll. It's great living back at home after a year and a bit out East. My recommendation for all you who want EWAT in a recruiting center, understand that the unit is not like anything you've dealt with before. It's really opened my eyes on how the ranks work together and it is a great experience, just keep your nose clean. You are expected to understand your place in their org, and that being a Pte or Cpl at best.

jmlz, we had a comm rsch cpl att posted from Borden for two and a half years and he fought CoC for his PLD and he got it. He's on this site so I'm sure he'll post here shortly.

meni0n: The issue was raised when the Adj of CFRC Vancouver mentioned there was nth on my message and asked me to check with my CoC back at CFSCE. What I got from my MS was they tried pushing it through up the Chain numerous times before and always came back negative. It got to the point that [if you b!tch about not getting PLD or incidentals we're going to RTU you and send you back to PRETC].

I have to dig out the directive for ATT POSTINGS but I do recall hearing from someone EWAT is at no expense to the Crown other than your salary. I could be wrong and I await the reply from the Cpl you referred to.

I don't see how you wouldn't qualify for PLD as you are living in the same geographic area as the people who are actually getting it. I would put in a grievance if you are getting threatened to get sent back by asking what you are entitled to. There is no excuse for people trying to avoid doing extra admin work by threatening a member.

you'll have to check with your OR. if you fall into an area where there is PLD and meet the requirements then you should be entitled to it. i fought with it when i was in Montreal as meni0n mentioned but it does work out and you should receive a nice back pay amount

meni0n and aussiechangover,

Thanks for the advice. I've consulted CBI 204.45 PLD, and found some interesting information there. It does explicitly say "posted" but I will have a chat with my MCpl and my OR in regards if that "Att Posting" is bullsh** or not. I do not have the mortgage but I do pay a monthly rate to my parents as "rent".

Update:

In short, I am not entitled to PLD or Incidentals. Reason being? My primary area of residence (loc of HG/F&E) is here in Vancouver, and not Kingston. I have not had a paid move yet, nor will I til I finish my 3s. And being single I am not eligible per CBI 204.45 and DCBA. To further this, I have been notified that the Adj here and staff back over at CFSCE both sent an inquiry over to DCBA in ref to my situation and the reply came back negative both times. Until I have that paid move from CFIRP I am not entitled to those allowances.

Here is a question for you Comm Rsch guys.

I am CT/OTing to your trade, as a Sig Op is there any chance whatsoever that I could get QL3 part 1 written off?

I am in a position to request a PLAR for that, but it would likely push my contract start date to the right, and I've got a feeling the response to the PLAR will be negative. Any advice?

GDawg said:
Here is a question for you Comm Rsch guys.

I am CT/OTing to your trade, as a Sig Op is there any chance whatsoever that I could get QL3 part 1 written off?

I am in a position to request a PLAR for that, but it would likely push my contract start date to the right, and I've got a feeling the response to the PLAR will be negative. Any advice?

i highly doubt that it will be written off totally i've know a few sigops who changed over and had to do it completely, currently it's under review and from what i've heard morse is making a come back

I suspected as much, I also got a negative response from higher so I accepted the contract offer. So I've got a brand new job and I don't even have to change my hat!

aussiechangover said:
i highly doubt that it will be written off totally i've know a few sigops who changed over and had to do it completely, currently it's under review and from what i've heard morse is making a come back

From what I heard unofficially in the COMM RSCH world at CFSCE, Morse is needed once again, but AFAIK no plans to bring it back into the QL3 curriculum exist (as of yet). Instead, they might bring it back as a Speciality.

Does one of you guy know when they plan to change our branch to sig-int?

Gimpy42 said:
Does one of you guy know when they plan to change our branch to sig-int?

Your trade, not your branch. There's been rumours of a change to the Int cap badge, but its not being mentioned anymore around the halls of the EW Sqn, so I would hazard a guess at it not being soon, or ever.

Heard C&E didn't want to let go so it's canned, at least for now.

Back