• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Commissionaires losing their jobs in Halifax

Stoker

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
I guess there are something like 61 Commissionaires not having their contracts renewed in Halifax on the gates and at the schools and such. The gates will be now manned by a expanded duty watch. Anyone hear about anything similar at any of the other bases?

I haven't heard of anything at other bases, but I did hear about this a few weeks ago.  One of our guys has a daughter that is posted to Halifax and she has had to do a few duty watches on the gate.

Edmonton is in the same boat wrt losing Commissionare spots.

Certainly one way to lower the contractor budget in a hurry...

Couple of the buildings in Kingston are having their staff cut back, military pers are manning the gate at one now. At least I have a place to use for defaulters now.

PuckChaser said:
Couple of the buildings in Kingston are having their staff cut back, military pers are manning the gate at one now. At least I have a place to use for defaulters now.

What happened to them "patrolling the Parade Square"?

George Wallace said:
What happened to them "patrolling the Parade Square"?

They turned every parade square on base into parking lots that are no where near the places that have parking shortages.

It's 64 positions with 1-8 people per position who will be losing there jobs. There are a number of positions that made sense to me to close, but some of them, like those at the dock yard (Admirals gate will only be open between 0600 and 1800h, and Centre Gate will be closed down completely) seem like it's going to create more hassle.

bLUE fOX said:
It's 64 positions with 1-8 people per position who will be losing there jobs. There are a number of positions that made sense to me to close, but some of them, like those at the dock yard (Admirals gate will only be open between 0600 and 1800h, and Centre Gate will be closed down completely) seem like it's going to create more hassle.

I would imagine not many people use Admirals gate between those hours. Center gate is a walk in gate only and its not far to walk around. There's a lot of money saved, with the added bonus of having military people looking after things.

sniff..... :crybaby:......there goes my retirement plans................

Eye In The Sky said:
Where are they getting the bodies from?

Are you sitting down???    Duty Watch......now it really stinks to be posted to Halifax.

DAA said:
Are you sitting down???    Duty Watch......now it really stinks to be posted to Halifax.

Well considering the amount of people required for duty in Halifax vice Esquimalt people in Halifax were getting off light. Lot's of people do not stand duty in Halifax at all.

Chief Stoker said:
Well considering the amount of people required for duty in Halifax vice Esquimalt people in Halifax were getting off light. Lot's of people do not stand duty in Halifax at all.

That's true and years and years ago, it used to be oh so much worse.

I found it rather strange that the Base went from a "contracted" service, back to putting uniforms in place.  But then again, cut backs do have an impact all around which is probably what precipitated the changes.

GAP- As someone employed by Commissionaires NS who is affected by these layoffs, I too am laughing.

Back