• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Commissionaires

Crantor said:
Funny story.  But made me angry at the time.  In our armouries I came in and needed keys to a room.  The commissionaire on duty was not the regular one.  So I was asked for I.D.  She looked at it and it all checked out.  except she didn't check to see if I was on the access list (I was).  I called her on that saying that my ID alone shouldn't get me access, she should look at the frikking list.  So once that was done, I need key A.  So I signed for key A and went to unlock the room only to find out she had given me key B.  So I go back to her and say ui was given the wrong key.  No problem she says.  Just sign back in key B to get key A.  I told her I hadn't signed for key B and we could just swap keys.  Nope.  I had to sign back in key B which I hadn't signed out.  Until I did, no key A would be given to me.  This time I was getting somewhat annoyed.  I explained that she could just give me key A because I had actually signed that one out and could just take key B back.  Nope.  Dosen't work that way she said.  I realised that logic wasn't going to work.  So I put it to her like this.  Had someone signed for key A?  Yes.  Me.  is that key in the press?  Yes it was.  So i said I would sign key A back in thus accounting for that key.  No problem right?  Good.  Then i asked her if someone had signed out key B.  No one had.  I asked her if it was in the press.  She said no.  I pointed out i could just leave now without her having any record of me having key B or even giving me key B since key A was what I signed for and apparently returned.  At this point the hamster started spinning the wheel in her head and suggested we just swap keys...sigh.  Felt like a "who's on first" routine.
Ouch man, that would definitely try my patience.  Bravo for not losing your cool. :)

Ex-Dragoon said:
It looked more professional back when we had the Force Protection teams on the gates for the Dockyard.

Really?  In Esquimalt anyway, they scrambled to find people to put there as fast as they could after 9/11.  When I saw one guy on the gate, my first thought was, "who gave the band guns?"  Shortly after that I was on a C7 Refresher course with someone who hadn't the first clue which end was which on the rifle (somebody had to dismantle it for her) and who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn (she failed to qualify).  She also seemed to be very nervous with the weapon, almost afraid of it.  I saw her on the gate two days later, weapon in hand.

Pusser said:
Really?  In Esquimalt anyway, they scrambled to find people to put there as fast as they could after 9/11.  When I saw one guy on the gate, my first thought was, "who gave the band guns?"  Shortly after that I was on a C7 Refresher course with someone who hadn't the first clue which end was which on the rifle (somebody had to dismantle it for her) and who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn (she failed to qualify).  She also seemed to be very nervous with the weapon, almost afraid of it.  I saw her on the gate two days later, weapon in hand.

That explains the amount of negligent discharge charges on both coasts. Out here the gates were staffed by personnel were kicked off the ship for various reasons.

NSDreamer said:
/Thread derail

Do you think that security at the dockyards/Stadacona will increase in future years as they begin building the new ships?

Ummmm .... The new Ships are going to be built at the Irving dockyard (civi) Not the Navy dockyard or in Stadacona

Pusser said:

Another reason why I think weapons proficiency and handling should carry as much weight on a PER as the PT test.

Commissionaires at CFB Borden impressed me.

Driving rain 9pm at night, quite cold and they were standing out in rain suits with a flashlight checking ID to get on the base.

Halifax Tar said:
Another reason why I think weapons proficiency and handling should carry as much weight on a PER as the PT test.
:goodpost:

Yeah, because the PT test carries so much weight on the PER.  ::)  You're better off being bilingual.

Did it ever occur to you that some people don't handle weapons all the time, or hardly ever?  We were lucky if we got to fire once a year, even in a Bde.  I'm not ashamed to admit, I suck with the 9mm.  I can count on (less than) both hands how many times I've fired it over 22 years and on less than one hand, how many times I've actually been tested on it.

Should she have been on the front gate with a loaded weapon?  No.  Should she be ridiculed for something that may have not been in her control?  No.

Esquimalt.  A Navy Base.  What trade was she?  I'm going to guess Clerk or Supply or something like that.

But I digress......

PMedMoe said:
Yeah, because the PT test carries so much weight on the PER.  ::)  You're better off being bilingual.

You cant be promoted if you dont pass a PT test. Linguistic ability is good but a lack of it wont hold you back.

The ability for all CF personel to employ, with safety, the service rifle is just as important as being able to run 10K.

I come from a Navy base (originally) and I am a Sup Tech and I managed to qualify yearly on the C7 every year.

Hey I agree with you.  I just saying that it doesn't always happen that way.

Halifax Tar said:
You cant be promoted if you dont pass a PT test. Linguistic ability is good but a lack of it wont hold you back.

The ability for all CF personel to employ, with safety, the service rifle is just as important as being able to run 10K.

I come from a Navy base (originally) and I am a Sup Tech and I managed to qualify yearly on the C7 every year.
Gotta agree with Halifax on this one PMedMoe.  Regardless of trade you should be required to pass the PWT every year.  It's not really her failing as much as it is the systems.  And in today's military I'd be sad if every person didn't at least hit the ranges 2-3 times per year.

jasonf6 said:
It's not really her failing as much as it is the systems.

That's exactly my point.

jasonf6 said:
And in today's military I'd be sad if every person didn't at least hit the ranges 2-3 times per year.

Well, you'd be sad then.  Some people just don't get that luxury.

jasonf6 said:
  And in today's military I'd be sad if every person didn't at least hit the ranges 2-3 times per year.

:rofl:

We are lucky,lucky to hit the range once year. let alone 2-3.

How ever there is no excuse for not having time for weapons handling.

I'm Air Force and it's been almost 4 yrs since I last C7 qualified and even when I did that I was one of tw0 who 's last range qual was ....ahem ....FNC1A1.!  C7 qual was driven only due to the fact I was on WASF.

YUP.!!

:jet:

Grimaldus said:
Commissionaires at CFB Borden impressed me.

Driving rain 9pm at night, quite cold and they were standing out in rain suits with a flashlight checking ID to get on the base.

Not anymore. They only check on commerical vehicles entering the base and civi vehs from 2300 to 0600. They haven't been doing it for awhile and I think word got out to the locals because it seems traffic has been growing on the base

Tank Troll said:

How about lack of weapons?  Like krustyrl, I remember the FNC1.  I was on an air force base when I first joined the CF and I only qualified on weapons once in my three year posting there.  And only because I was on the Base Defence Force.

It all depends upon which unit you are with as well.  I was posted to FMFCS for a time.  They don't require it due to the nature of their work and it's being a non-operational unit to keep your qualifications current.  Once I returned to the fleet, I re-qualified.  Simple as that. 

Tank Troll said:

There may be "no excuse", as you say, but i can think of several "reasons".

An "excuse" may very well be a good "reason", especially if you, yourself, are not aware of all the factors involved.

Back