• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Common Law Marriage in the Canadian Forces - Mega Thread

Hi, I'm not sure if this is where I'd post this and I've tried searching everything and don't get the exact answer I'm looking for so I'm hoping I can get my answer here. So basically my boyfriend/common law of three years just finished basic and is now going to gagetown for engineer training. Is it possible for me to live with him there or is it similar to basic where he's on the base and can only leave weekends. I'm sorry for any confusion. Any information on his trade training and what I can expect from home is greatly appreciated.

Taclem said:
So basically my boyfriend/common law of three years just finished basic and is now going to gagetown for engineer training. Is it possible for me to live with him there or is it similar to basic where he's on the base and can only leave weekends.

See also,

Sticky,

https://army.ca/forums/threads/25612.375.html
15 pages.
Taclem said:
Does living together as common law work when they're in trade school? So my boyfriend who I lived with for a year, both names on the lease, just left bmq and started his trade training in gagetown, am I able to move with him or will I have to wait until he's done?

few questions from a military girlfriend!
https://army.ca/forums/threads/111106.0
Quote from: astrokara on June 27, 2013, 11:03:30
my boyfriend is currently in St-Jean and will complete his training next month. From there he is going to Borden for a year, and I would love to go up there with him.

The adventures of bekkamgov and her Boyfriend 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/94583.0/nowap.html
"my boyfriend is in basic training is in basic training right now after he is done we are thinking of getting a pmq in borden where he is doing his training for supply tech..we did live together for a year but i moved out before he joined the army back to my parents but we were having financal trouble. we have been together for 5 years now and have a 3 year old. we are planning to get married sometime soon. but i was wondering if anyone knows if we could get a pmq.it has been so had on our son being away from his dad."
4 pages.
Locked.

girlfriends/wives
https://army.ca/forums/threads/117420.0
Quote from: medeiros87 on January 03, 2015, 22:50:35
I have a question regarding when I'm able to move my girlfriend to live with me after bmq.

Girlfriend
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+boyfriend&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=v8K5WPriDeSM8QeR1aSQBw&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+girlfriend&*

Boyfriend
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+boyfriend&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=v8K5WPriDeSM8QeR1aSQBw&gws_rd=ssl#

Does living together as common law work when they're in trade school? So my boyfriend who I lived with for a year, both names on the lease, just left bmq and started his trade training in gagetown, am I able to move with him or will I have to wait until he's done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There can be exceptions, but generally speaking, until the member is out of the training system and posted to their first base, they are required to live in barracks with the rest of their course.

Taclem said:

Most likely you won't be able to join him while he is on course, unless the course is a very long time and the posting restrictions that normally happen between BMQ and being qualified in his occupation (trades training).  By it being Gagetown, I'm assuming he will be posted once he is done training...what trade is he if you don't mind telling us?

If he hasn't already, he will have to submit the documentation and request to have your common law marriage recognized by the CAF, at which time you officially be considered common-law.

He said he'll be there for a year if this changes anything

paleomedic said:
There can be exceptions, but generally speaking, until the member is out of the training system and posted to their first base, they are required to live in barracks with the rest of their course.

Well he's going for combat engineer. He's there now, his course doesn't start until may and they said it could run 6-12 months. Would they make an exception for a situation like this? Where we'll be separated for a year?

It might...there are usually specific training establishment guidelines on some of this stuff.  I'd be guessing if I said I knew what the CFSME ones are (CF School of Military Engineering), but there might be a few folks on here that know and will read this.

Worst he can do is ask his superiors when he gets there about getting common law status and if there is any chance of a posting restriction amendment once he is in Gagetown.

Hang tough, the road can seem to go by slow at times while the training stuff at first goes by slowwwwwwwwwwwwwly for the member and their family.  8)

Eye In The Sky said:
It might...there are usually specific training establishment guidelines on some of this stuff.  I'd be guessing if I said I knew what the CFSME ones are (CF School of Military Engineering), but there might be a few folks on here that know and will read this.

Worst he can do is ask his superiors when he gets there about getting common law status and if there is any chance of a posting restriction amendment once he is in Gagetown.

Hang tough, the road can seem to go by slow at times while the training stuff at first goes by slowwwwwwwwwwwwwly for the member and their family.  8)
Thank you very much for the advice, I appreciate it.

Hi all,

Have a question in case anyone has ever come across a situation like this. What happens if a member is cohabiting with their partner (civilian if that makes any difference) and they get an outcan posting before the initial one year cohabitation period? Can the cohabitation period carry on as normal if their partner goes to live with them outcan (obviously their partner would be on their own as far as support from the government and DND is concerned). Thanks for any help.

Screwed416,

There isn't a simple answer to your question so you had best talk to the supporting unit for your posting.  Depending on the location of your OUTCAN posting, it could be more or less complicated.  The visa requirements vary from country to country and if your spouse wants to work, it gets even more difficult.  Crossing international borders is getting more and more complex.

Go to the professionals and plan accordingly.

Cheers,

AK

Or you can get married, but do it quickly if you want to have the administrative necessities finished in time for this year's posting season.

"Get married" runs contrary to my usual advice, but the legal status is the same once a common-law relationship exists anyway.

Loachman said:
"Get married" runs contrary to my usual advice, but the legal status is the same once a common-law relationship exists anyway.

Now, if you must marry, take care she is old --
A troop-sergeant's widow's the nicest I'm told,
For beauty won't help if your rations is cold,
  Nor love ain't enough for a soldier.
      'Nough, 'nough, 'nough for a soldier . . .

If the wife should go wrong with a comrade, be loath
To shoot when you catch 'em -- you'll swing, on my oath! --
Make 'im take 'er and keep 'er:  that's Hell for them both,
  An' you're shut o' the curse of a soldier.
      Curse, curse, curse of a soldier . . .
https://www.poetryloverspage.com/poets/kipling/young_british_soldier.html

Loachman said:
Or you can get married, but do it quickly if you want to have the administrative necessities finished in time for this year's posting season.

Yes, I would say that in this case especially, get married before you go (i.e. run down to the courthouse and sign the papers) BEFORE your COS date.  It makes everything so much easier.  Some countries don't recognize common-law relationships, so that could affect your spouse's ability to work and even their ability to live in the OUTCAN country (i.e. they may not be recognized as a dependant).  Furthermore, many benefits depend on COS date.  If you are married prior to COS date, you will get different rates for several benefits (e.g. rent allowance, shelter share, utility share, post living allowances, Vacation Travel Allowance etc.) than if you are single.  Getting "married" after COS (i.e. having your common-law status recognized), might not increase them to the married rates as dependant benefits often don't kick in until the NEXT posting.

As I got the call saying I got the job my recruiter asked me if I had a martial status like common law or married. My gf and I have lived together for the past few years but we have moved cities and live in a basement apartment of her step dads house. He allows us to stay there for free so we do not have a lease or mortgage papers to prove that we are common law. My question is if I show them that we have the same address on our drivers licenses and a few bills such as our car insurance or something, is this enough to be considered common law or will they still process me as "Single" status?

You may find this discussion helpful,

https://army.ca/forums/threads/25612.275
16 pages.

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

Get her dad to draft up an agreement. You will need it to show you are still living together as common law. Thats what my recruiter informed me to do. They need all docs

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Back