• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Commuter Cringe driving along the Gardiner in Toronto.

Last year we did section attack training on the front lawn of Jericho, right beside the sidewalk of 4th Ave and people just waved, honked, and one carfull of oriental kids and seniors stopped and took pictures :p

Jinxed said:
Last year we did section attack training on the front lawn of Jericho, right beside the sidewalk of 4th Ave and people just waved, honked, and one carfull of oriental kids and seniors stopped and took pictures :p

We used to do all sorts of training throughout the city, in parks, etc.  It was fine until some dumb hippie wrote all sorts of complaining letters, now we've had to stop until we sort out all the paperwork with the city to continue.  We did an urban patrol through a creek that goes through downtown, mostly underground.  All sorts of folks on a patio looking down on it were startled by a buch of people moving up the creek with rifles and red lights, until one of us explained what was going on!

not really military but back when i was in cadets we did the freedom of the city parade in Barrie Ont. the faces people made seeing a bunch of kids with rifles and ammuntion (Blanks)  was priceless....

patty said:
not really military but back when i was in cadets we did the freedom of the city parade in Barrie Ont. the faces people made seeing a bunch of kids with rifles and ammuntion (Blanks)  was priceless....

Why would you have blanks for a parade?

Someone explain that to me.

Baloo said:

Actually I remember from my time in Sea Cadets (chokes back embarrassed cough) that on Rememberance Day we did the Cenotaph guard duty and did fire a volley of blanks with the .303 Lee Enfield rifles that the cadets in Ontario used to have.

Slim said:
Actually I remember from my time in Sea Cadets (chokes back embarrassed cough) that on Rememberance Day we did the Cenotaph guard duty and did fire a volley of blanks with the .303 Lee Enfield rifles that the cadets in Ontario used to have.

Huh. Well, the more you know.

I personally think it would look ridiculous, what with the BFA and all. But to each their own. Unless the .303 doesn't have a big, yellow metal piece...

Baloo said:

I personally think it would look ridiculous, what with the BFA and all. But to each their own. Unless the .303 doesn't have a big, yellow metal piece...

Nope...No BFA...They just stuck the muzzle high over their heads and let go...

Those old things made quite a crack when they went off.

I wonder if they still do that?

In our unit we were supposed to have blanks for our change of command parade  but at the last minute the Mp's cancelled it they said there was too many people there... i think that was there excuse, we only use blanks for big parades... change of colour and command parades

mo-litia said:
Looks like most of the people in that Liberal cesspool that is Toronto were just upset at seeing a "peacekeeper" with a weapon!  :dontpanic:

Thank God for Alberta rednecks! ;D

I take it from the emoticons that you're kidding. Please say you're kidding.

It's my third year of university and I'm still not used to the fact that there aren't troops marching down the streets, army vehicles that say "student driver" on a yellow sign dangling on the front and back, helicopters/planes flying overhead, and big kabooms from the artillery. (and more that I can't remember now)

I do occasionally see a Herc fly over, but it just isn't the same...

Baloo said:

It's called a "Feu de Joie".  Quite common at funerals, too.

Baloo said:

A Lee-Enfield shouldn't need a BFA, since it isn't gas-operated.

When you have a firing party on parade, they never use BFA's.  On the FN's as I understand it, they simply turned the gas to zero because recock the weapon as part of the drills (with the C7 the gas isn't adjustable, but you still recock the weapon manually).

Redeye said:
A Lee-Enfield shouldn't need a BFA, since it isn't gas-operated.

When you have a firing party on parade, they never use BFA's.   On the FN's as I understand it, they simply turned the gas to zero because recock the weapon as part of the drills (with the C7 the gas isn't adjustable, but you still recock the weapon manually).

With the FNC1A1, turning the gas to zero increased the amount of gas directed at the piston. (that was the second IA drill).  For a Feu de Joie, the gas plug was reversed, allowing no gas to enter the piston chamber.

On either weapon, the function of the BFA is to contain sufficient gas pressure in the barrel (and gas tube or gas piston rod chamber) to cause the action to cycle.  Remove the BFA and it's a single shot weapon.

To put this back on track.........

Whenever we are going to train outside, where it might upset the population, we simply call the police first and give them a heads up. They can then respond with " Yes Ma'am, we're aware of the military training exercise going on in the area, and there's no cause for alarm."

Everyone has Ops and PAFFO staff. Use them.

Never assume the authorities are in know after only one phone call.  Call them several times before the event, send them a letter and call them the day of the event.  It is funny how soon they forget what you have told them.

And make sure you ask for the police officer's name who you talk to. Its amasing how much more responsive people are as soon as they realize that they may be held accountable  ;D.

I remember some years back running a weekend JR Ledaers ex down at the  Niagara on the Lake Trg area....
And having a brand new OPP Officer drive by at night, see the gate to Area C open, and, convinced that the local civvies had entered DND property to party, drive into the area with her cruiser (no Lights of course).....

Right into the ambush laid across the "MSR" by our guys........(.the CQ / OPFOR was late arriving).......

She got lit up...then turned on her cherries and put 'er in "R" for rocket.....

recceguy said:
To put this back on track.........

Whenever we are going to train outside, where it might upset the population, we simply call the police first and give them a heads up. They can then respond with " Yes Ma'am, we're aware of the military training exercise going on in the area, and there's no cause for alarm."

Everyone has Ops and PAFFO staff. Use them.

It was the same procedure up in Sudbury. The police, like us, have a CP. A call to the duty sergeant is all it takes to avoid confusion...

Northerners are also not quite as jumpy as those in 'tarana  ;)

Haggis said:
With the FNC1A1, turning the gas to zero increased the amount of gas directed at the piston. (that was the second IA drill).   For a Feu de Joie, the gas plug was reversed, allowing no gas to enter the piston chamber.

On either weapon, the function of the BFA is to contain sufficient gas pressure in the barrel (and gas tube or gas piston rod chamber) to cause the action to cycle.   Remove the BFA and it's a single shot weapon.

Right right - I knew it involved "turning off" the gas.

Back