• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Competition List Questions (formally called Merit List) [MERGED]

abejackson said:
Hi.
What does it mean to be "merit listed?"
Thank you.

Means you are on the list that they select people from.  Its not a guarantee you'll get an offer, but if you aren't on it, you won't be selected for that trade.

Gbert84 said:
On July 13th I'll have been merit listed for 1 year. I've heard of people waiting longer. Wait times depend on many things.

I've been merit listed for comm rsch for about the same time (perhaps a little longer, I can't remember exactly when I was merrit listed). I also got a call today saying that I'll need to redo my interview and medical; that doesn't seem like a very encouraging sign.

Knowing someone who was int he process for awhile, I believe after a year, your medical has to be redone if you haven't been selected. 

Not sure about the interview.  My guess would be to see what you've been up to in the last 12 months, and to reevaluate you.  If you have doing new things that would benefit your being selected since your first, make sure you mention them.

Be positive!  :nod:

As I understand the medical is only valid for one year.  Last I spoke with my file manager he also told me I would be scheduled for an updated interview and medical. 

estoguy said:
Knowing someone who was int he process for awhile, I believe after a year, your medical has to be redone if you haven't been selected. 

Not sure about the interview.  My guess would be to see what you've been up to in the last 12 months, and to reevaluate you.  If you have doing new things that would benefit your being selected since your first, make sure you mention them.

Be positive!  :nod:

I knew about the requirement to redo the medical and interview (I was actually surprised that I hadn't been contacted earlier since they're both a few months out of date), but what got me was the timing. I heard that some selections for the trade I'm applying for were scheduled for around this time so when I got the call from the recruiting centre I was primed to hear that I would be getting a job, thus the extra disappointment.

You're right about the interview. My first interview was my chance to prove to the CF that I'm worthy (or worthier than my peers) to be selected for a job, and I failed in that.  This time I'll be better prepared.

Thanks for your kind words.

estoguy said:
Means you are on the list that they select people from.  Its not a guarantee you'll get an offer, but if you aren't on it, you won't be selected for that trade.

Thank you.

Another question: Is it possible to be selected without being listed on the merit list?

abejackson said:
Thank you.

Another question: Is it possible to be selected without being listed on the merit list?

Yes. They call it the you-did-not-make-the-cut-list.

I think you're asking if you can be selected without being merited listed first, right? No, you are merit listed firstly, then selections are made based on those people currently on the merit list.

i been merited for like 2 days. I interviewed in one week and got an offer the next week for armoured DEO, if i remembered correctly. Extra long merit waiting = didnt make the cut  :p.

The Merit list is NOT a First in First out list if I remember right?  You may have been on the list for a year and get bumped by a guy that was listed yesterday.

Yes, depending on the ratio of applicants to positions available.

agc said:
Yes, depending on the ratio of applicants to positions available.

No depending your interview score, thats what determines your spot on the list.

Merit listed beginning of June. Man these months have been going by slow... Has anyone got any updates on NCM-SEP decisions?

I have been merit listed since August 10th 2012. Selections for one of the trades I've picked is on September 5th 2012, lets hope I made the cut!!  :) :cdn:

Merit listed since June.14th.2012 for Infantry, Combat Engineer & Construction Technician...in that order. Received an offer for construction tech two weeks ago but declined the offer hoping for an offer from my first two choices. May have made a big mistake on that one, but who knows. We'll see how things turn out.

I'm on the merit list since 2 days! The Lieutenant said i have a competitive file. I hope to get an offer in couples first month of the year 2013.

Back