• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Component Transfer ( CT ) - Reserve to Regular

I just put my CT in for ATIS Tech. I was told if I don't hear anything within a year to have someone high up in my CoC poke DMCGP and see what's going on.

Well at least next year for me...    ;D. Though I am impressed to have received an email like this in such a timely manner. At least the system is improving compared to last year. Now if I hear someone in the recruiting threads complaining about having to wait a month for a CFAT...  >:D

Please be advised that for this fiscal year (FY 15/16), there is no CT intake for untrained 00299-NAV COMM candidates.

Please choose one of the following options:

1. Keep your file open for 00299-NAV COMM and be ready if the occupation re-opens in future (ensure you have a valid Force test and Medical Category).  ; or

2. Choose a different target occupation (up to a maximum of 3 choices).  The date of your email outlining the new choice(s) will be used as your application date for the new occupation(s).  Files are processed in order of application date; every time you change your first choice, your date of application becomes that date; or

3.  Close your CT file.

Please inform me of your choice via email.

Decisions, decisions..

AgentSmith said:
I just put my CT in for ATIS Tech. I was told if I don't hear anything within a year to have someone high up in my CoC poke DMCGP and see what's going on.

No, you have to email them directly if you want a status update of any kind.

Let me throw in my 2 cents for what's it's worth:

1) I've been in the CT process since Feb 2015. I got the standard "we received your application" a week later. I was informed by my Chain that CT lengths are unpredictable. I emailed the generic email for CT's and asked who was my file manager in Aug 2015. A week later, I was given a name and contact info. I'm in no rush for my CT so I haven't bother to inquire on my status but I am expecting likely next FY.

2) Just ensure that your fitness, medical, and MPRR information is up to date. It is your responsibility to inform them and not the other way around.

3) For those interested in going Reg Force MP. Expect to wait. I left the Reg Force in 2014 with MP QL5 and tour experience. You would think my CT would be a quick transfer seeing I do not need additional training and I'm asking for a local posting. From everything I've heard through the MP grape vine, the trade is in bad need. Yet, unpredictability in budget and politics is likely to slow things down even more. Think of it as Reg Force training: "Hurry up and wait. Then wait some more."

Cheers!

Hello to all .....I am a 16 year old grade 10 student and a army cadet looking at joining the reserves (Brockville Rifles) for my last two years of high school before transferring to the reg force. I have heard/read mixed things about the component transfers as well as something about you needing to be a MCPL before transferring over, is this true?.Do you believe joining the reserves is a good course of action                               

any comments are appreciated . thanks to all .........cheers  :cdn: :sniper:

soldier16 said:
Hello to all .....I am a 16 year old grade 10 student and a army cadet looking at joining the reserves (Brockville Rifles) for my last two years of high school before transferring to the reg force. I have heard/read mixed things about the component transfers as well as something about you needing to be a MCPL before transferring over, is this true?.Do you believe joining the reserves is a good course of action                               

any comments are appreciated . thanks to all .........cheers  :cdn: :sniper:

The problem with the component transfer (in my opinion):
<rant>
Is that if the regforce takes you they "need" to replace you at your unit. Which will take roughly 1-2 years. If they hire Joe Smith off the street no one needs to be replaced. However on the flip side the reg-force gets a trained member quickly. At the same though if a member puts in a CT they are looking for full time work and the regiment will likely loose them sooner or later.  As a result there is a SIP, that explains exactly how many people will be hired in trade X and by which way (CTs, Civvys, OTS, Educational Programs) etc. Applications are processed on a first come, first serve basis for CT's and you literally wait until your number comes up. 
</rant>

With that being said,

If you are looking at going INF -> INF I don't think it is a bad idea.

If you are looking at going INF -> something else, put your CT in as soon as possible and be prepared to wait possibility longer than you would like, you may not want to join at all. 

The reserves will be good though, for a highschool student as you'll make some money and you can get a taste to make sure you really want to join the army full time. You also may be able to get some courses that you wouldn't get as quickly in the reg force. I.e DVR WHL, Dangerous Goods, Air Brakes stuff like that. Furthermore if you can get all your ducks in a row and your corporals before you transfer you might keep your cpls and will make a lot more money for the first few years. Furthermore if you decide to go to school instead you'll be able to transfer units and you won't have to do your basic while living in residence >:D.

Personal experience for me:

Applied in march 2014
Found out in oct 2014 that I was now V4 which made me ineligible for my trade, changed trades.
Sept 2015 - found out said trade was full so I added two additional trades.

Though I personally know people who went ACISS -> ACISS in just a few months. Most of the infanteers I knew took a year. Should it take longer than highschool there can be taskings, long/short term class b's, etc (not necessarily something I'd rely on to pay my mortgage on) but they can and do exist.

What ever you end up doing you are going to end waiting for a bit.

Re: MCpl's thing. I've heard at times it is a lot easier to go over as a MCpl at least it was in Sigs but it is at no way a requirement.

You are in grade 10 right?

DAA said:
No, you have to email them directly if you want a status update of any kind.

Thanks.

I got the "we received your CT" email the day after I put it in. I gave them a copy of my HS and college transcripts and got the ACK they were received. I suppose now all I can do is wait (and make sure my FORCES test stays current)

soldier16 said:
yes I am in grade 10

thank you for your time and for replying so soon

Not a problem, always happy to help. If you intend to do INF -> INF, i'd apply asap and hopefully you can get processed in time to begin training this summer?

AgentSmith said:
Thanks.

I got the "we received your CT" email the day after I put it in. I gave them a copy of my HS and college transcripts and got the ACK they were received. I suppose now all I can do is wait (and make sure my FORCES test stays current)

Make sure your medical stays current as well. Pretty much yeah, my broker literally told me to wait out and that they would contact me.

Edit: Didn't realize you are sigs, if you are going ACISS -> ACISS I doubt that it will take you that long. (A few months). I've had a few friends transfer over very quickly in the past few months.

runormal said:
Not a problem, always happy to help. If you intend to do INF -> INF, i'd apply asap and hopefully you can get processed in time to begin training this summer?

Make sure your medical stays current as well. Pretty much yeah, my broker literally told me to wait out and that they would contact me.

Edit: Didn't realize you are sigs, if you are going ACISS -> ACISS I doubt that it will take you that long. (A few months). I've had a few friends transfer over very quickly in the past few months.

I'm going ATIS tech, so I'm changing elements and trades. I'm not fully ACISS qualified, trying to get a PLAR together for that. I am Armoured Recce QL4 qualified though. I just updated my medical last year so that should be good to go for the next five years.

I have an appointment with the Brocks recruiter on tuesday and hope to apply with i that week :cdn:

soldier16 said:
I have an appointment with the Brocks recruiter on tuesday and hope to apply with i that week :cdn:

Good for you? This thread is for people who are already in the reserves and are in the process of transferring to the regular force.

AgentSmith said:
Good for you? This thread is for people who are already in the reserves and are in the process of transferring to the regular force.

Easy ha ^ if you look posts up the poster was trying to figure out what to do wrt to the reserves. They are currently 16 and was wondering what the best COA was wrt to the reserves and CT's and for infantry. 

Good luck

Just received my offer for Reg Force MP. Submitted my CT Aug 2013, and here we are 2 years and 3 months later.

It does happen, folks... just gotta be patient.

Been talking with my local PSO and they have requested my CFAT scores to see what all I am qualified for. It's been about a month and a half since they said they would request them.

Is it time to go poke them again and see what's up?

Hello !

Been reading the most recent pages of this thread as an idea I have not yet considered before has popped in my head recently. I currently have a university degree in geography and was planning on joining the reg. forces to apply for armour officer. I spoke with various people from the 12th RBC in Valcartier and a captain told me that getting a master degree from the get-go would be a good idea. So.. I thought that it could be logical to apply to the reserve if I want to go back to school again. As there is no armour res. units near where I live I thought that artillery could be interesting also. It looks like it can take a long time before CT can happen so maybe somebody with experience could tell me if applying for artillery soldier in a res. unit and immediately asking for a CT into armour officer while going to school at the same time is feasible. Maybe it's too complicated and I should just apply for armour officer straight away but I thought that military experience as an NCM with a master degree in my pocket could get me extra points if I find that the CF is really what I want, full time.

Thanks for the help.

MeunierConsole01 said:
Hello !

Been reading the most recent pages of this thread as an idea I have not yet considered before has popped in my head recently. I currently have a university degree in geography and was planning on joining the reg. forces to apply for armour officer. I spoke with various people from the 12th RBC in Valcartier and a captain told me that getting a master degree from the get-go would be a good idea. So.. I thought that it could be logical to apply to the reserve if I want to go back to school again. As there is no armour res. units near where I live I thought that artillery could be interesting also. It looks like it can take a long time before CT can happen so maybe somebody with experience could tell me if applying for artillery soldier in a res. unit and immediately asking for a CT into armour officer while going to school at the same time is feasible. Maybe it's too complicated and I should just apply for armour officer straight away but I thought that military experience as an NCM with a master degree in my pocket could get me extra points if I find that the CF is really what I want, full time.

Thanks for the help.

It is by all means possible to put on in the day you swear in, infact my initial one I put in while I was doing Basic (For ROTP) . Some people will give you a negative reaction "Why do you want to leave you just got here?". With that being said I've heard people say "if a unit retains someone for three years any tiime after that is a bonus" I'm not sure how true that is but I've heard it from several people. How long is a masters? 2 or 3 years right? I'm not sure if the selection process differs for CT/OT for officers but for NCM's trades they only seemed to care that I had the minimum requirements. (When I asked if they wanted university transcripts, they said no we only need your grade 10 transcripts and when I asked if being bilingual would help my application I never got a response). I'm not sure on how many CT/OTs they will take for Amoured O's each FY. By all means it is feasible, the question is how long will it take and that is the million dollar question. The CT process could also get smoother and it could get worse.

Honestly what I recommend is apply it for Amoured Officer (REG-F) right now. Once you figure out whether or not you are actually going for a Master's and have been accepted you can switch your application to the Res-F (Should you desire) and you should be into the Res-F able to get in for next September. It would make your CT a lot smoother if you could actually join an amoured unit from the beginning. Here is the list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_units_of_the_Canadian_Army#Reserve_Force_.28Primary_Reserve.29

The reserves will allow you to get you feet wet, but that will also be the at the expense of your summers where you could be getting practical experience in your field.  It is a bit of a give and take, but looking back on my university experience joining the reserves was the best thing I ever did.

Shrek1985 said:
Been talking with my local PSO and they have requested my CFAT scores to see what all I am qualified for. It's been about a month and a half since they said they would request them.

Is it time to go poke them again and see what's up?

Might as well, the worst you will get it is is that trades x is closed for the FY. Though when they asked for my transcripts I sent them and 3 months later was told that my trade was closed for the year for CT's. Asking for no reason is pointless but I think if you have waited for 1.5 months after being asked for something that is more than reasonable to follow up.

Happy International Anti-Corruption Day, people!

Anyhow, not sure if this is the right sub-forum, but, eh.

I'm an actual NCM of the navres and my CO suggested that I transfer towards IntO, which I did.

Thing is, the local recruiting PO told me the trade was closed for civilians, but had no information on its availability for actual members.

Does anyone know if it is open for transfers, if it is, how many places are available, and what would be the effect of a negative answer on my request(ie: Simply denied, delayed at some point, blocked until opening, etc.)?

(I've attempted to obtain answers to these questions at my unit, but it was not conclusive. If there are other sources from which I could've obtained the information I'm looking for, do tell me about them)

Reg Force, altough I do have my doubts that there might've been a misunderstanding about my transfer request.

They simply had me write a single sentence. Barely any information in the form.

Please read ALL the info on the link that mariomike gave you. 

Looking at your profile and posting history, it appears that you just joined the Naval Reserves in May of this year, and likely haven't become Trade qualified in these past seven months.  That will have an affect on your application for a CT, as you are unskilled.  Your CT may in fact not be accepted at this time.

You say you are aspiring to enter a Trade that requires excellent skills at surfing the internet and research.  Now is the time to start practical application of those skills.

Back