• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

considering applying to recruitment... Is it possible to pull out at last minute

Status
Not open for further replies.

darwin

Inactive
Reaction score
its all in the title, lol.

Is it possible to pull out of the process last minute if I get a Grad School acceptance or a job offer I would rather pursue?

I will probabally contact a recruitment office this week, but usually its the individuals online that can give a unbias opinion.

thanks.

Yes, it is possible to voluntarily withdraw your application, however, you may want to discuss this with the recruiting centre.  They may encourage you to go part time so that you can still attend school or suggest other possibilities.

::)

Grad School?  Other employment? 

Really?  It's all in the title really doesn't cut much here.  Nor does someone claiming to have an education but can't use the most basic of writing skills.

Of course you can walk away.  This is not Conscription.  It is a Volunteer Army, Navy and Air Force.  You might as well quit now as opposed to wasting other people's time.

::)

George Wallace said:
You might as well quit now as opposed to wasting other people's time.

Yup.

Either you want to do this, or you do not.

Decide now.

If you are unsure, don't bother.

You won't have the motivation to succeed anyway.

wow, that was disturbingly unexpected, but still thank you for the information.

No, it is not as cut and dry as one wanting to do this or not. I have looked into various options for my future and it just so happens that the canadian military may be what I am looking for, but it is not a be all or end all for me.

As for education, I am a undergrad student in Pscy with a certificate in Emergency management. I do not really put much emphasis on my grammar or punctuation when asking a question to individuals on a forum. so I apologize if it offends you, but if we follow the same line of reasoning the latter two of you did, one can state if you have nothing constructive to add, it may be better not to contribute.

thanks again

darwin said:
............ but if we follow the same line of reasoning the latter two of you did, one can state if you have nothing constructive to add, it may be better not to contribute.

;D

The humour.  As a Military related site, we try to encourage "professionalism" and good writing skills.  Admittedly some on this site don't have the education, or perhaps their English skills being a second or third language, and we try to accommodate them; but when someone comes on claiming to be 'educated' we do expect more from them.  You are a let down on that front.

As for not having anything constructive to contribute; it works both ways.  We have many topics already that cover what you ask, but you felt it upon yourself to waste our times with yet a new topic asking us, the anonymous internet, to make some life decisions for you. 

Was you contribution, through this topic, constructive?

You have already hinted that you have applied to Graduate School, and other employment.  You have implied that you will quit the CF if you are accepted to either of those two.  Who is wasting who's time here?

Constructive criticism enough for you?

Don't go away mad if you don't like the truth...just go away and don't waste others time that could be better spent helping someone who really wants to commit to service.

That was respectable George Wallace.

as I said previously, I am not 100% sure which road i wish to take, it can go any direction. I may be accepted to grad school and choose the military path instead, I am just asking certain questions before i speak with a recruiter.

I am not asking anyone to make a life decision for me, but general questions so I can be better educated as this time in my life approaches.

I am only asking questions, hoping for answers. I am not looking to be told that I am wasting the time of the Canadian forces by asking questions that many of you have seen a thousand times.

thanks again

Anything you get here will be nothing but a personal opinion.

You want options? Go talk to the Recruiting Centre.

Locked.

Milnet.ca Staff

darwin said:
...I am a undergrad student in Pscy with a certificate in Emergency management. I do not really put much emphasis on my grammar or punctuation when asking a question to individuals on a forum. so I apologize if it offends you...

Darwin, the problem here is that we could ask you, "Well, when would you put emphasis on grammar, or punctuation?" 

In the Canadian Forces, you will be expected to communicate effectively and professionally.  Communication is incredibly important in military affairs and professionalism in its execution is a mark of the calibre of the men and women that serve in the military.  No, not everyone is a laureate; however, we all try to be clear, concise and accurate, both in our written and verbal communication.

By fobbing off grammar and punctuation as not necessary in a forum, you rob yourself of the opportunity to better your communication skills.  To do so also gives folks reason to wonder what other efforts are not being made for your own convenience.

As noted by some, it is best to let the recruiting centre know your situation, and to ask what options are available to you should the opportunity arise to further your education.  Note how you could present the situation; "I have the opportunity to further my education, and I understand that education is an important part of a professional military, so what options would I have to capitalize on the opportunity for advancing my education while still working towards developing a career in the Canadian Forces?" 

That sounds a wee bit more professional than "Can I pull out at the last minute?" which has connotations of quitting an opportunity of convenience for something else you'd rather be doing...

Good luck with whatever path you choose.

G2G

*edit: posted at same time as Recceguy's lock*

darwin said:
wow, that was disturbingly unexpected,

What, blunt honesty?

darwin said:
but still thank you for the information.

You're welcome.

darwin said:
No, it is not as cut and dry as one wanting to do this or not.

If you do not want this enough, you will neither succeed nor enjoy your service.

Your heart does not appear to be in it.

darwin said:
I have looked into various options for my future and it just so happens that the canadian military may be what I am looking for, but it is not a be all or end all for me.

The vast majority of us could have done something else, too, but we committed to one thing. When you are ready to make that commitment, if ever, then go to the recruiting centre and apply. In the meantime, gather what information that you can to help your decision-making.

PMedMoe suggested starting out as a part-time Reservist. That may be your solution, but, again, do so only if you are willing to make a commitment.

darwin said:
I do not really put much emphasis on my grammar or punctuation when asking a question to individuals on a forum.

This is not your average forum. Most of us here are serving or retired members. The site reflects that. Clear communication is a sign of professionalism.

darwin said:
if we follow the same line of reasoning the latter two of you did, one can state if you have nothing constructive to add, it may be better not to contribute.

Contribution is welcome, but it requires a commitment that you appear to be unwilling to make.

Those of us who serve or have served understand that.

I may have got the wrong impression, but I can only go by what you have typed and I do not see anywhere near the level of interest or desire that you need to make this worthwhile to you, us, or this Country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back