• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Considering ROTP or enlistment

Ben D-L

Inactive
Reaction score
I am currently in sec 4 (QC) and am looking into options for my future, although I'm pretty sure the army is going to be part of it. However, I'm very split on what route I want to take on this front. I've always been very adamant on going to ROTP, however recently I learned that being an NCM is very different than being an officer.

See, I'm the kind of guy that wants to be out doing work and being hands-on with the job to get done, and the whole "officer desk job" gig doesn't really appeal to me. My dilemma is weather or not to go ROTP as an infantry officer with the military and strat study program, or to enlist normally, with paid education or anything. I would also like to know whether or not I would have the option to resign my commission and go NCM after completing ROTP, if I go that route.

Any help is appreciated.

Ben D-L said:
I would also like to know whether or not I would have the option to resign my commission and go NCM after completing ROTP, if I go that route.

Officer to NCM 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/25874.25.html

Ben D-L said:
I learned that being an NCM is very different than being an officer.

Role of Officer vs job of NCM [Merged]
https://army.ca/forums/threads/171.0
27 pages.

Ben D-L, perhaps the first thing you should ask yourself is if you want to go to university after high school. If you do not want to end up having a career as an officer, then I would not recommend going to RMC. Decommissioning after graduation is not something you can simply do by choice. If you do want to be an officer and attend RMC, I would also, personally (as someone with a BA in MSS), recommend considering other degree options at RMC than Military and Strategic Studies, like Business or Psychology. MSS is a multidisciplinary degree, so you get to study in several disciplines (ie. multiple paper formats to master... APA, Chicago, MLA) but specialize in none of them. All students at RMC must already complete mandatory courses in history, psychology, business, math, english, physics, chemistry, etc. 

If you want to go to university and serve as an NCM, perhaps look into attending a civilian university and joining a Primary Reserve unit. I also recommend considering other careers outside of the Infantry, there are dozens of great trades in the CAF that you likely haven't even heard of, let alone considered. The Forces.ca website, albeit lacking in some ways, is a great tool to explore the different trades. If a career where you work with your hands is what you want, then consider a trade as a technician (ex. MAR TECH, MAT TECH, VEH TECH, ACISS, CONST TECH, etc.).

Regardless of what path you choose though, you should submit your online application soon. The application deadline for ROTP is in January but it is recommended you apply early in the fall to ensure your application is ready for the selection boards in April. Also, absolutely study for the aptitude test (CFAT) as it has significant weight when it comes to selections for all trades (aim for perfection). There is a practice test on the Forces.ca website (found under "How to join"), focus your studying on the math portions. Best of luck.

Back