• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cooks ( merged )

• Thread starter RebornXmetalhead
  • Start date
My husband is currently at BMQ training half done!  What I would like to know is what/where he will do/go after BMQ?

He is a Reg Force private (recruit), semi-skilled cook.  We know he has to do a portion of the cook's training but no idea when, how much, and where that might be.

Any help?

A Cooks Wife said:
My husband is currently at BMQ training half done!  What I would like to know is what/where he will do/go after BMQ?
He is a Reg Force private (recruit), semi-skilled cook.  We know he has to do a portion of the cook's training but no idea when, how much, and where that might be.
Any help?

You may find some helpful information in these discussions.

"CF Cooks - general (merged)":
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/13758.0
5 pages

"RegF Cook QL3 info":
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/98859.0

"Cook": ( no period )
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/89436.0

"Cook."    ( with a period ):
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/23331.0

"Army bases & cook trade...":
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/80881.0

"CF Cooks Web Site":
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/28209.0/nowap.html

I'll hazard a guess he will go to CFB Borden, just outside Barrie, ON.

Canadian Forces Logistics Training Centre (CFLTC)  (formerly known as CF School of Administration and Logistics, so you may hear it referred to as *CFSAL* too)

This is not recent information so take that into consideration, but a few years ago my buddy's wife went thru the Cook QL3 trg.  Some people attended the trg on the base and some went to a college in the local area.  Those who went to the college side walked away with a sweet deal (IMO) as they got a college certificate along with their QL3.  Just info, I have no idea if they are still outsourcing some of the trg to colleges.

Now, before I say this next stuff, I'll put the disclaimer out that I am not a Cook, I don't work at CFLTC, but this is likely scenario of what might happen.  Ok?

- once he completes BMQ, he will go from St-Jean to Borden.  It is 99.9% certain that, at this time, you won't be able to join him. 

- once he arrives at CFLTC, he will be put on a Personnel Awaiting Training organization (PAT).  The staff at CFLTC will then let him know (1) what part of the training he is being granted and what he must complete and (2) when that training will start.

- if there is a significant time between his arrival and commencement of training, he will be employed somewhere doing something.  Being semi-skilled, I would be hopeful it is at a kitchen facility where he can continue skill development and enhancement.

- if it is NOT at a kitchen, well there are other jobs that need to get done to support the trg that takes place at Borden.  He could find himself doing any manner of things like Range Sentry, etc.  If he does, the best thing he can do is approach it all with a positive attitude and do the best he can.  The folks he works for will pass on comments on his performance and attitude.  Despite how it may seem and feel to people new to the CF, doing these things we refer to as "GDs" (General Duties) are not punishment, they are just things that need to get done in the day to day operations of the CF. 

Hope this helps some.

I am applying for Cook, my husband has been in for over 10 years and now I want to join as well.
Where is the cook training held, is it always Borden. T have 3 kids to prepare providing I get accepted lol

http://www.forces.ca/en/job/cook-80#training-2
BASIC OCCUPATIONAL QUALIFICATION TRAINING
Cooks attend an 18-week training course at the Canadian Forces School of Administration and Logistics in Borden, Ontario. Based on a combination of theory, demonstration and hands-on experience, Cooks will learn the following basic skills:

Cooking terminology, weights and measures
Conversions and equivalencies
Introductory baking and meat cutting
Small and large quantity cooking of a full range of products
Field cooking
Food safety practices and techniques
Food service standards and basic food cost controls
Fire and safety precautions
Equipment & facility maintenance

Hey my GF is in her grad week at BMQ, and just got her posting message.

She is a cook and through her PLAR got given her QL5's and promotion to Corporal.

Her posting says she is posted to organization 1702 2CMBG HQ & Sig Sqn. Her clerk mentioned briefly that she was going to be attached to 2 Combat Engineers. But it doesn't say anything other then the above on her posting message.

Does that make sense? Are cooks assigned directly to operational units, not just to the base?

She's going to ask some more questions tomorrow, but she asked me to post here as well for her.

Thanks,

Mike

seawolf said:
Hey my GF is in her grad week at BMQ, and just got her posting message.

She is a cook and through her PLAR got given her QL5's and promotion to Corporal.

Her posting says she is posted to organization 1702 2CMBG HQ & Sig Sqn. Her clerk mentioned briefly that she was going to be attached to 2 Combat Engineers. But it doesn't say anything other then the above on her posting message.

Does that make sense? Are cooks assigned directly to operational units, not just to the base?

She's going to ask some more questions tomorrow, but she asked me to post here as well for her.

Thanks,

Mike

Yes cooks are posted to operational units.

I would like to know what life would really be like as a army cook please and thanks.

Have you Bothered looking at the information on the Forces.ca website. It may offer a lot of the information you are seeking. Cause cooks tend to set the morale of the Base, FOB, the ship, unhappy cook will lead to a unhappy crew

I'm looking for any info on day to day life as a cook in the Air Force while on base. What are the hours like? Shift work? Weekends?  Also what is the general opinion of the bases? Borden, Comox, Kingston, Gander, Cold Lake? What do people like or dislike about each base?

brookus22 said:
I'm looking for any info on day to day life as a cook in the Air Force while on base. What are the hours like? Shift work? Weekends?  Also what is the general opinion of the bases? Borden, Comox, Kingston, Gander, Cold Lake? What do people like or dislike about each base?

http://army.ca/forums/threads/98859.0

http://army.ca/forums/threads/80881.0

http://army.ca/forums/threads/109236.0

Just a quick question, I know cook now requires math 12 and I plan to be going to night school to upgrade my math from 11 to 12, but I was wondering is there a specific math 12 I need? Or can I do math 12 foundations and still be accepted?

AlphaBravo said:
Just a quick question, I know cook now requires math 12 and I plan to be going to night school to upgrade my math from 11 to 12, but I was wondering is there a specific math 12 I need? Or can I do math 12 foundations and still be accepted?

As of "today" the bare minimum requirements for Cook are "now"...........

"Gr 11 high school or secondary V in Quebec or equivalent secondary school education, including Gr 11 general (workplace) math or math 514 in Quebec"

This is a recent change to the entry standards for Cook, so you may need to consult with your CFRC if you had previously been told you did not qualify due to the previous math requirements.

Edit:

I saw DAA's post as I was posting what I had written, I just want you to seriously consider getting your grade 12 math out the way beforehand. I dropped calculus in grade 12 in high school and had to retake it at university. I almost failed the course (Got a D, course average was slightly higher than a D) which would of kicked me out of my program. Just some food for thought.

Not being from BC, I googled your curriculum.

http://www.sd43.bc.ca/secondary/heritagewoods/StaffInfo/departments/Mathematics/Documents/New%20Math%20Curriculum%20FAQs.pdf

Please advise if this  correct.

241t5zn.png

I found this question in the FAQ.

"Can students switch pathways?
• Yes, however, the recommended course sequence is show on the diagram above
and students are encouraged to follow the sequence as much as possible due to the
sequential nature of mathematics.
• There are no prerequisites in BC and students may wish to take a sequence not
indicated on the diagram. If this is the case the decision should be made only after
the student, parents, teacher and principal have thoroughly discussed the options. "

I am not going to speculate on whether you can or not "get by" with foundations 12 because I am not a recruiter.

My question is why not go for a higher standard? Lets say Foundations 12 is enough, I can guarantee there will be people applying with pre calculus or calculus or even university/college math credits. From an education standard they are now more competitive than you.

What if the forces doesn't work out? What if you want to go to university/college? What if your not competitive enough and have to wait another year?

I don't know which course you took in grade 11, but I would agree with following that tree. If you took Foundations 11 take Foundations 12 for now (assuming it meets the standard) but if you took pre calc 11 take pre calc 12.  If you only took Foundations 11 in high school please consider taking pre calc 11/12 it is never going to hurt to have math credits.

Good luck.

DAA said:
As of "today" the bare minimum requirements for Cook are "now"...........

"Gr 11 high school or secondary V in Quebec or equivalent secondary school education, including Gr 11 general (workplace) math or math 514 in Quebec"

This is a recent change to the entry standards for Cook, so you may need to consult with your CFRC if you had previously been told you did not qualify due to the previous math requirements.
Are you serious!?!?! If so my recruiting center is getting a phone call, I was told I didn't meet the requirements because of my math 11

AlphaBravo said:
Are you serious!?!?! If so my recruiting center is getting a phone call, I was told I didn't meet the requirements because of my math 11

As I previously mentioned, the entry standards for CooK recently changed.  It looks as though the level of Math that was previously required, has been slightly lowered, while the minimum Gr 10 has been increased to Gr 11.

DAA said:
As I previously mentioned, the entry standards for CooK recently changed.  It looks as though the level of Math that was previously required, has been slightly lowered, while the minimum Gr 10 has been increased to Gr 11.

Odd because when I last contacted (month or two back) they said I didn't meet the requirements because I didn't have math 12. I have my Grade 12 everything besides math, I will give them a call now (AKA when they open). I assume they only changed it because they are needing people.

AlphaBravo said:
I assume they only changed it because they are needing people.

Incorrect. Occupational standards undergo regular review to ensure that they are still relevant; as they are reviewed, the entry standards may be changed as well.

I was just wondering where the average posting for an Army/Air Force cook would be? I know that cook is a purple trade so I do get to choose an option although I may not get it, but mainly I am looking for an Air Force position. 

Back