• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Court Martials?

Bobert

Inactive
Reaction score
I am interested in the military justice system. How are jurors selected? Can only Commisioned Officers be jurors? What are the major difference bettween military and civilian courts?

as far as I know, there isn't a jury in a Canadian court martial.

Bobert, I suggest you talk to your PSO and enroll into the OPME - DCE 002: Military Law.  

Terrific course, you take it at home through RMC's division of continuing studies.   There are 6 OPME's altogether if you do not already know, they are university level programmes that last about 3 months a pop that cover everything from Military History, to CF Ethics and the Management / Governmental procedures that control the CF.

The course will give you a very detailed analysis of how the entire Military Law system functions from the bottom-up.   And yes, their are jury panels, depending on the type of courts martial elected and the rank of the convicted person.

Some trial systems such as summary trial do not preside in court settings, whereas other types of courts martial (yes, that is the plural form, not court martials) such as general or standing courts martial will look like an episode of JAG.   Some others like Disciplinary courts martial will have the convicted in front of the judge pleading his case alone ... scary stuff.

Depending on your rank, and the type of courts martial, you may have a 3 or 5 person jury.   An officer will have all jury members of commissioned status.   NCM's & NCO's will have 2 or 5 or 1 or 3 panel members a senior NCO of WO or higher.

Hope this helps ... take the course, you'll love it.   (Promotion points too for completing all 6) ;D

What are the major difference bettween military and civilian courts?

Well, that's a question that could take up an awful lot of time, but the short and simple version is the Military has Military Law.  A set of laws and orders that the rest of Canadians who aren't sworn members of the CF are are bound to.  Members of the CF are still bound to follow all laws and statutes of Canada & the laws of the province they reside in, as well as the numerous laws that apply to the Military.  As I said earlier, it is a question that would actually require alot of time to fully explain and if you are interested, do go to the above posted link.

Cheers

How about identifying the correct spelling of the subject which is CourtS Martial, not Court Martials! >:(

How about reading the whole thread first......
Signal-Man said:
Reply # 3
........, whereas other types of courts martial (yes, that is the plural form, not court martials) such as general or standing courts martial will look like ............

Looks like you haven't gotten any sleep with the way you are posting in threads this morning  ;D

Back