• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CP-140 Aurora

That's irrelevant to some governments.

Slap on a new coat of paint and they'll all look the same.

Article with Col Mike Adamson, 14 Wing Commander, on the CP-140M from Skies Magazine, attached as a PDF.

There are a few inaccuracies that must come from the author vice Col Adamson ( a great Officer and Leader; he was my first Sqn Boss). 

- the picture in the article that says "AES Op manoeuvres the EO/IR cameras over Iraq" - he is actually looking at the RADAR & ESM plots. 

- the article says that 404 Sqn has 'former- pilots, navigators and sensor operators...the 404 bunch are all top category, FIC-qualified instructors.  Not sure where the 'former' part came from.

- Davis made the fleet sound like we're 'figuring out how to do our jobs'.  ::) 

Attachments

• CP140M Article.pdf
    816.5 KB · Views: 255
Eye In The Sky said:
- the article says that 404 Sqn has 'former- pilots, navigators and sensor operators...the 404 bunch are all top category, FIC-qualified instructors.  Not sure where the 'former' part came from.
Based on the last number of articles I've read that mention the goings-on at 404, it seems the only people the interviewers get to talk to are the DND civilians that comprise the OMS Team in the Thorney Island building.  The authors probably (incorrectly) assume that they are instructors... which obviously couldn't be further from the truth.

I saw it before you posted it.

They never get the details right; I wrote an article once for a military journal, and they just used stock photos to accompany it.

To be fair, I didn't read it like he thought you were learning your jobs.  It came across to me that the community was refocusing and taking stock.  The mark of a professional is to be always learning...

I'd rather that than the standard "best xxx in the world" which can be used as a convenient excuse to not do the hard work to get better.  Like anything worth doing, the better you get the harder it is to get even better.

My 2 cents...

404 Long Range Patrol and Training Squadron has instructors—former pilots, navigators, and sensor operators—with a decade or more of experience who “stay abreast of recent developments and are an invaluable asset in keeping our current crews up to speed,” said Adamson

If it was worded this way...

404 Long Range Patrol and Training Squadron has top-category instructors and simulator staff (former pilots, navigators, and sensor operators) with a decade or more of experience who “stay abreast of recent developments and are an invaluable asset in keeping our current crews up to speed,” said Adamson

...it would be bang on.

And, both the 404 instructors and Simulator staff are pro's at what they do.  The ability to fly a mission/op area in simulation before burning actual gas is amazingly benficial and hopefully is expanded and improved in the future. 

Baz said:
I'd rather that than the standard "best xxx in the world" which can be used as a convenient excuse to not do the hard work to get better.  Like anything worth doing, the better you get the harder it is to get even better.

My 2 cents...

The "best XXX in the world..." stuff is irritating.  IMPACT, it was "one-of-a-kind ISR asset in the Coalition".  That stuff culminated when there was a RCAF GO speaking to the LRP Det in Happyland, who went on to tell us how we were unique in that 'we were the only manned ISR platform out there'.  The speech was given in the HAS we were using as a quasi-hanger, with his back to the door.  Directly behind him on the next ramp was one of the US P-3C AIP or LSRS birds that we saw on IFF, shared the stack with pretty regularly, waved at when our orbits crossed and said "hi" to when we bumped into them a few times at the DFAC.

It was hard to keep a straight face... 

I think the part that made me think "he makes us sound incompetent" was the "we are trying to figure that out..it is a walk/run process".  Maybe the context was mistaken on my part.  :2c:

The first picture I've seen of Block 4, taken at IMP earlier this week. 

Attachments

• Block 4.jpg
    Block 4.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 737
Eye In The Sky said:
The first picture I've seen of Block 4, taken at IMP earlier this week.

Bumpy Greyhound Of Death.

;D

It's....different!  I didn't take a look at the proposed new displays etc at the IAT yet...

dapaterson said:
If it's from IMP, it's months (or years) late...

According to this website, IOC was last December and FOC will be summer 2020.  :whistle:

But, it also says that Block III replaced the EOIR (it didn't), and it doesn't mention it upgraded the MAD (which it did).  But hey, details aren't important!!  ;)

And hey!  Link 16...that's new (ish), right?

Eye In The Sky said:
And hey!  Link 16...that's new (ish), right?

At least it should be available before Link-11 expires due to no crypto; I doubt all platforms both within Canada and in NATO will be so fortunate.  My understanding is 11 is already becoming problematic at sea because so few use it.

Of course there is also Mode 5, and ADS-B, and the Mk-54, which all may be late to need.

This RAF article highlights the different attributes, challenges and needs of Maritime patrol aircraft and missions.

https://medium.com/raf-caps/maritime-air-power-the-neutral-battleground-572d63f6b3a6?fbclid=IwAR3yM85K0eULvTU97wp4C4tpi1jze009qtQT53ykW2zSlp_0eh7vWxvfyS0

Another picture (not mine) of 108 at IMP taken recently.  The SDS components show nicely on this one under the pilot window and below/behind the aft observer window.  I can't tell if the silver strip on the fwd part of the MAD boom is something in the fencing or on the aircraft. 

That's a fairly substantial difference in the top antenna for the BLOS compared to the one we had in Happyland for iBLOS.

http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/en/photo-search.page#ipa_assetDetail=%7B53B33504-0B4E-411B-A512-D3437566D5A9%7D

Next to come, if RUMINT is true, are the engine mod's and NP2000 prop's.

Hopefully, they're going to make a slightly bigger Stanley Cup for the longer ONSTAs.  ;D

Attachments

• B4.jpg
    B4.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 294
Or an integrated toilet like in the airliners so people don’t have to take the Cup and Cassette out

EITS: The engine mod is tri-fold:  the engine itself, the controller then the prop.  The level of testing required for each component gets progressively larger (relatively simple for the engine itself - NOAA has done that already, and a complex, high risk test program for the props).  So, you won’t see that tomorrow!

Dimsum said:
Or an integrated toilet like in the airliners so people don’t have to take the Cup and Cassette out

But everyone loves carrying their "stuff" off the plane after a nice long flight.  :nod:

SupersonicMax said:
EITS: The engine mod is tri-fold:  the engine itself, the controller then the prop.  The level of testing required for each component gets progressively larger (relatively simple for the engine itself - NOAA has done that already, and a complex, high risk test program for the props).  So, you won’t see that tomorrow!

I think if I see it...it will be in pictures long after I'm off the fleet.  ;D

I've heard there is one tail that has been selected for 'testing'...but, honestly, I've not seen or heard anything 'official' yet at all.

Back