• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CPC Leadership Discussion 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the CPC rule for the review? Who has a vote?  If it's weighted by HoC members, he may be well set.

They have a review after any time the lose an election. Whichever delegates show up apparently get a vote...

Trying to remember who was talking about it on Power & Politics, I think it was John Paul Tasker. I don't really understand how the leadership reviews work to be honest, but they were just commenting on how Thomas Mulcair may have passed his leadership review if it was held in Quebec instead of Edmonton because of who shows up.

Is it open to all members, including online voting, or to delegates only?  Lots of ways for a vote to go depending on who can vote and how...

But ultimately it's more Reform than Progressive Conservative now - so the Blue Grits are excluded from the tent.  Which is the road to governing.

It sounded like just delegates but I really really don't know much about it, just the 2 sentences that it was spoken about. I guess I'll learn more about it in April as I'll be paying attention.

dapaterson said:
Is it open to all members, including online voting, or to delegates only?  Lots of ways for a vote to go depending on who can vote and how...

Delegates only.

https://cpcassets.conservative.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/03155337/KXBCNkWf-X3IDtR.pdf
10.7 At the first national convention following a federal general election when the Party does not form the government and the Leader has not indicated, prior to the commencement of the national convention, an irrevocable intention to resign, the delegates will vote by secret ballot if they wish to engage the leadership selection process.

The process for selecting a new leader is also included in the constitution as well as who can be delegates at the national convention.

dapaterson said:

But ultimately it's more Reform than Progressive Conservative now - so the Blue Grits are excluded from the tent.  Which is the road to governing.

Card Carrying members will get mail- in that there will be a option form, who is running, and you number top to bottom. That is how it as handled in the past.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mackay-scheer-conservative-leadership-1.5341633

Shots fired by MacKay. And so it begins.

If the CPC keep Scheer on past the convention in April, they’re fools.

Brihard said:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mackay-scheer-conservative-leadership-1.5341633

If the CPC keep Scheer on past the convention in April, they’re fools.

Just wanted to emphasize this one:

"Yeah, to use a good Canadian analogy, it was like having a breakaway on an open net and missing the net," MacKay quipped.

Ouch, and totally agree.

Didn't we all predict this a few years ago? No one will beat Trudeau in 4 years, and it will take 8 years for the Liberals to truly piss of the public, so all the really "good" potential CPC leaders didn't bother showing up? (apologies to Raitt and O'Toole who I think would have been far better than Sheer or Max).

Lumber said:
Didn't we all predict this a few years ago? No one will beat Trudeau in 4 years, and it will take 8 years for the Liberals to truly piss of the public, so all the really "good" potential CPC leaders didn't bother showing up? (apologies to Raitt and O'Toole who I think would have been far better than Sheer or Max).

Yup, a MacKay reboot has come up here several times for sure. I think a few of us have our hopes pinned at least in part to that. Not that he would be the only good option, but he stands out.

Brihard said:
Yup, a MacKay reboot has come up here several times for sure. I think a few of us have our hopes pinned at least in part to that. Not that he would be the only good option, but he stands out.

If you think he's a good choice I'll send him and email and put the gears in motion :)

Lumber said:
:nod:
Brihard said:

Makin' the rounds - more from the same speech here ...
One-time and possible future leadership contender Peter MacKay says the “stinking albatross” of Andrew Scheer’s social conservative values cost the Conservatives the election.

He offered the devastating critique of Scheer’s campaign performance during a panel discussion Wednesday hosted by the Wilson Center in Washington.

(...)

MacKay was blunt Wednesday in laying the blame for last week’s loss on Scheer’s inability to reassure Canadians that he wouldn’t impose his own religious and social conservative values on the country. And that left Scheer unable to take advantage of the Liberals’ vulnerability, despite a “litany” of controversies dogging Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

“What went wrong? Well, I’m going to be very honest with you,” MacKay said.

“I think there was a number of issues that became very prevalent in this election that nobody other than the politicos wanted to talk about. People did not want to talk about women’s reproductive rights, and they didn’t want to talk about revisiting the issue of same-sex marriage.

“And yet that was thrust onto the agenda and hung around Andrew Scheer’s neck like a stinking albatross, quite frankly, and he wasn’t able to deftly deal with those issues when opportunities arose.”

(...)

Brihard said:

"Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen."
                                                Emperor Palpatine and Remius

Brihard said:
But, but, but, he's just trying to help :) - from McKay's Twitter feed ...
I’ve repeatedly said I support @AndrewScheer + I worked v hard to help him in the campaign. Reports of me organizing r false. Recent comments r about our Party’s shortcomings & making the necessary improvements w modern policies + better coms so we can win the next election.

Without trying to sound too negative, MacKay is a leader from two "generations" ago, leading the Progressive Conservatives into a merger with Reform, and then leaving politics as Stephen Harper took the helm of the Conservative Party.

Scheer is definitely to be faulted for not making massive gains in an election which was clearly his to lose, but on the other hand, did gain 22 seats and a much larger percentage of the vote (even if only concentrated in a few geographical areas). Scheer and the CPC "Brain trust" may believe that standing pat and allowing the Liberals to self destruct was a good strategy, but it obviously failed. Trudeau may be the Prime Minister of Toronto, but Canadian electoral politics does not have a Electoral College, so any political leader in Canada wantng to lead a national party needs to craft and sell a platform which can bridge the various regional gaps and gather votes "efficiently" across Canada.

The CPC (and indeed the NDP as well) have to choose between standing pat or crafting a bold new vision and strategy which can be embraced by Canadians across the nation, and risk failing, or play a defensive game and stand pat, attempting to hold what they have today. Given that the average minority government in Canada only lasts 18 months, there is little time to choose and little time to prepare.

Scheer is likely not the man to lead the CPC in a bold new direction, but I would suggest that Peter MacKay likely isn't either. To tell the truth, I am not aware of any person in Canadian political or public life who would be capable of such a feat, especially in the short time frame between elections, but perhaps there is a person out there. I'd be interested in hearing who that might be.

This seems to be what they are up against,

dapaterson said:
If you get under 30% of the vote in 80% of the provinces, you'll have extreme difficulty in forming a government.

If they don't fix this in the '21 election, it may be much worse than Campbell's post-Mulroney collapse.

Thucydides said:
Without trying to sound too negative, MacKay is a leader from two "generations" ago, leading the Progressive Conservatives into a merger with Reform, and then leaving politics as Stephen Harper took the helm of the Conservative Party.

MacKay was a Harper Cabinet Minister who decided not to run for re-election in the 2015 campaign including being the Deputy Leader of the party until 4 Nov 2015. He's not as "out of touch" as you infer.

I'd argue MacKay has a better chance than Scheer simply because the Liberals wouldn't be able to use the media to push a strawman argument of a Tory attack on Abortion/LGBT Marriage.

Understood that historically minority governments don't last long, but in this case I think the LPC will go the distance.  They will pander to the Bloc to prop them and the Bloc will do so.   

QV said:
Understood that historically minority governments don't last long, but in this case I think the LPC will go the distance.  They will pander to the Bloc to prop them and the Bloc will do so. 

At least 2 years.  The remaining NDPers that were with the last orange wave want that pension.  So do some CPC types on their second term.

Remius said:
At least 2 years.  The remaining NDPers that were with the last orange wave want that pension.  So do some CPC types on their second term.

You mean 25 years to get a pension, don't you?

Jarnhamar said:
You mean 25 years to get a pension, don't you?

6 years.
https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-board-secretariat/services/pension-plan/pension-publications/reports/administration-members-parliament-retiring-allowances-act-report/frequently-asked-questions-changes-members-parliament-pension-plan.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back