• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CPC Leadership Discussion 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.
While this particular instance sounds minor, it may be a case of the last straw breaking the camel’s back. In my opinion, O’Toole should have turfed Sloan long ago after some of his more offensive utterances.
This had to be done.

Rest assured that Trudeau et al will be using what is happening south of us to try and frame the CPC in the same light if they see an opening. Abortion and gay rights was on the last election ballot according to them and the CPC completely got outmanoeuvred and shyte the bed with their response to that. They need to do better next round which could be this spring.

While I agree that he could have been shown the door for his comments about Covid, I don't think that this is a legitimate reason to kick him out of the party. This is a move that could cause division in the party, given the fact they are kicking him out over an issue that also applies to the party as a whole. O'Toole should be a little more patient and pick a better hill for Sloan to die on.

While I agree that he could have been shown the door for his comments about Covid, I don't think that this is a legitimate reason to kick him out of the party. This is a move that could cause division in the party, given the fact they are kicking him out over an issue that also applies to the party as a whole. O'Toole should be a little more patient and pick a better hill for Sloan to die on.
I’m pretty sure the party as a whole aren’t receiving donations from extremists while espousing the kind of politics he is. He legitimately might not have known but he’s now a liability one way or another. If another member got a donation of this kind but had no history of the kind of politics Sloan has then I would agree with you.
While not the best hill, it’s the latest. Good riddance as far as I’m concerned. And if it means he can deal with the others of his ilk in the party now it means he’ll have less of an issue come next election.

I’m pretty sure the party as a whole aren’t receiving donations from extremists while espousing the kind of politics he is. He legitimately might not have known but he’s now a liability one way or another. If another member got a donation of this kind but had no history of the kind of politics Sloan has then I would agree with you.
While not the best hill, it’s the latest. Good riddance as far as I’m concerned. And if it means he can deal with the others of his ilk in the party now it means he’ll have less of an issue come next election.
What are the odds he ends up in the peoples party?

The Liberals have to be busting a gut laughing over stuff like this. They really have the conservatives over a barrel.

Trudeau can travel to another country with someone jailed in Canada for an assassination attempt or rub shoulders with CCP Elite businessmen and people charged in illegal high-end Toronto gambling rings with armed guards and human trafficking, but that's nothing compared to a $131 from a white supremacist. Clever.

At least O'Toole is consistent and doesn't just scream for Liberals to be fired. As someone who's been bombarded by the CPC begging for donations (and repeatedly ignored when I've unsubscribed and asked them to stop) I can't help but laugh.

The Party atomically received 10% of all donations.

I had never heard of O'Toole before the leadership contest. I have been pleasantly surprised so far.
I was fortunate to be invited to do some volunteer advisory work for VAC when he was minister of veterans affairs, and got to meet him and discuss stuff with him several times. Good guy, in my estimation. Fairly middle of the road. I really got the feel that he actually gave a damn about his portfolio- I saw him as the right MVA under the wrong government at the wrong time; he was hindered from doing right by his portfolio because of deficit reduction etc. While my preference was MacKay for leader of the CPC, I have no heartache with Erin winning it. I wish he hadn't brought the guy on that he did for social media ('Ontario Proud' founder and 'Post Millennial' exec), but it is what it is.

Sure, Sloan got a donation (which he returned), but Fromm also joined the party and voted in the leadership election, so kind of bullshit to kick him out of the party for that. So if the party vetting didn't catch him not sure how they can punish a candidate for the same.

I think it was overdue, but the actual reason is massively hypocritical. Which is very on-brand for any political party I guess.

There are some shifty people in the CPC HQ trying to push the Tories to be a Center-Left party and embrace woke-activism. The more and more I read about this whole Sloan situation it reads like a set up to get rid of him. Whether O'Toole is part of it, or is getting half-truths when being briefed remains to be seen.

Well it's been done, I worried that the CPC has made a mistake. I would hate to see another party split over this.

What's to prevent strawman donations to effect a similar outcome?

classic association fallacy.
Wait wait wait, it's an association fallacy to think he's probably not a racist because he has children with his BIPOC spouse? Or are you implying that he set the whole thing up as some sort of elaborate ruse to hide his membership in the KKK?

Wait wait wait, it's an association fallacy to think he's probably not a racist because he has children with his BIPOC spouse? Or are you implying that he set the whole thing up as some sort of elaborate ruse to hide his membership in the KKK?
It's a classic myth that a person cannot be racist because they have an association with a person of color.

How many times have you heard someone say they cannot be racist because they have a black friend? This is along those lines. One can be racist and married to a person of color.

It's a classic myth that a person cannot be racist because they have an association with a person of color.

How many times have you heard someone say they cannot be racist because they have a black friend? This is along those lines. One can be racist and married to a person of color.
I think that there is a bit of a difference between friend and wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back