• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cpl. Matthew McCully - 2 CMBG HQ & Signals - 25 May 07

It may also be possible that the father (I note the poster mentions only the dad) wasn't notified. It also depends upon who the primary and secondary NOK are on the PEN form filled out by the member.

The Primary NOK is the one who gives the go ahead for the news release announcing the name to go out to the media outlets.

Sadly, in situations where a soldier has parents who are divorced etc, sometimes one of the parents is not on the list.

If the soldier is married and has his wife listed as Primary, and his divorced mother as Secondary...the fathers name would not be on the notification listing. It would be up to the Primary and/or secondary NOK to the arrange for extended family notifications in the manner they wish (and extended family in this case would include the father if the soldier did not list him on the PEN)...then the Primary would authorize the news release.

Don't be too quick to blame the media before the facts are in. Sadly, situations like this can occur. We'll have to wait to see what was the situation in this specific case.

I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o' beer,
The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."
The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,
I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:
O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";
But it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play,
The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
O it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play.
I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;
They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,
But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, wait outside";
But it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide,
The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,
O it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide.
Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;
An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.
Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?"
But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll,
The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
O it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.
We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,
But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints,
Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;
While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, fall be'ind",
But it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind,
There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,
O it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind.
You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires, an' all:
We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.
Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face
The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot;
An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
An' Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool -- you bet that Tommy sees!

-Rudyard Kipling

VVV
ZKJ NOW SOLDIER-YOU WILL BE REMEMBERED
AR

RIP, condolences to the families and friends, and a speedy recovery to the wounded.

So sorry. All Canadians lost another true fighter for peace, in a time of war. Thanks for protecting us, at all times.

condolences to Matthew's family and friends..........a speedy recovery to the wounded..... :salute: :cdn:

Also, there may be a lag between a media outlet getting the fax of the CF statement (allowing them to share the info right away), and when the statement is available on the web page for the REST of the public to see.  In my limited federal experience, a media outlet may get a fax hard copy of a statement as much as 3-4 hours before the same statement is posted on the web.

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/217962

A nation mourns: `We lost a good kid'
TheStar.com - News - A nation mourns: `We lost a good kid'

Orangeville man 55th soldier to die in Afghanistan

May 26, 2007
Richard Brennan
OTTAWA BUREAU

OTTAWA–Another Canadian has died in Afghanistan, bringing the death toll to 55 soldiers since Canada joined the fighting there in 2002.

Orangeville native Cpl. Matthew McCully, 25, of Canadian Forces Base Petawawa, died instantly yesterday after stepping on a improvised explosive device. Another Canadian soldier and an Afghan interpreter were injured in the blast.

The death comes the same week as Prime Minister Stephen Harper's surprise visit to Afghanistan and during the Canadian military's stepped-up offensive, Operation Hoover.

"On behalf of all Canadians, I would like to extend my condolences to the family and loved ones of Cpl. Matthew McCully on this sad day. My thoughts and prayers are with them during this time of mourning," Harper said in a statement yesterday from Ottawa. "They are aware of the risks of our mission, yet the members of our Canadian Forces family accept these risks and fulfil their duties to stabilize Afghanistan and build a better future for the Afghan people."

Choking back tears, Col. Mike Cessford, deputy commander of Canadian forces in Afghanistan, told reporters in Kandahar that "we lost a good kid today."

McCully, a member of a Canadian team training Afghans to bring security to the southern part of the country, was killed when the bomb exploded near a Canadian-Afghan patrol near the village of Nalgham, about 35 kilometres west of Kandahar City. The explosion occurred within kilometres of where Harper visited two days earlier.

"Every time we lose a young soldier, a young man in this case, that is a tragedy for us," said Gen. Rick Hillier, chief of defence staff. "His footprint in the sand, his legacy will never be forgotten. It is always tough when we lose a soldier."

McCully was a Signals Operator with 2 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group Headquarters and Signals Squadron, based at Petawawa.

There is growing speculation Harper is going to extend the current Afghanistan mission beyond the February 2009 date authorized by Parliament. He has said he will go back to Parliament for a further vote if the mission is extended.

During his visit this week, Harper said Canada should not be held to some arbitrary date.

Liberal MP Denis Coderre (Bourassa) said while the Liberal opposition supports the mission in Afghanistan, it also believes that, come February 2009, it is up to other NATO countries to step up to the plate.

"We have to stick to the course, but it also means we have to put the emphasis on what it is supposed to be, which is the triple D – defence, diplomacy and development. And that will take more than photo-ops," he said.

Col. Cessford said the latest death "will not deter us from continuing our work with the government and the people of Afghanistan. Incidents like this will absolutely reinforce the imperative of Canadians and Afghans to continue working closely together to re-establish peace in this country."

The operation was only a few hours old when a cloud of black smoke appeared on the horizon, several seconds before the loud explosion that caused it echoed off a distant mountainside.

It was the second buried bomb targeting coalition forces to detonate within about an hour; the first struck a Canadian tank, but no one was injured. The second blast killed McCully and injured another soldier. An Afghan interpreter was also wounded. The wounded soldier was in stable condition yesterday in hospital at the coalition base at Kandahar Airfield. The interpreter stayed on the battlefield.

A Facebook.com group, "In memory of Cpl. Matthew McCully," was set up last night and it had 24 members by 9 o'clock.

Many of those who posted Web messages recalled meeting McCully in military training.

"He was a great soldier and a great person," wrote Brandon Jespersen from Edmonton who said McCully was his detachment commander in Kingston. "I still can't believe that we've lost another one, and this one hits close to home."

"One of the best human beings I've ever known in my life," reads a post from Ottawa resident André Lauzon. "Matt was one of the most dedicated, caring and selfless people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing."

With files from Rachel De Lazzer and Canadian Press

Librarian, you are exactly right.

In this case the parents were separated.  And it makes a difference where we live too.  Being in Prince George (and I pardon my ignorance on this) I believe the closest Military units are out of Esquimalt.

Being in Prince George (and I pardon my ignorance on this) I believe the closest Military units are out of Esquimalt.

The closest Military Unit to Prince George would be the Rocky Mountain Rangers in Kamloops.  The closest Reg F unit is ASU Chilliwack.  A long way to go for a notification when the NOK needs to be notified as soon as possible.

imahikergirl said:
The closest Military Unit to Prince George would be the Rocky Mountain Rangers in Kamloops.  The closest Reg F unit is ASU Chilliwack.  A long way to go for a notification when the NOK needs to be notified as soon as possible.

And it is in exactly situations like this where local RCMP, other LE Agency, or local clergy is asked to do so on our behalfs; which beats the heck out of learning via the telephone or television I would think. The CF does it's very best to ensure that family is informed appropriately.

Blackhorse7 said:
Librarian, you are exactly right.

In this case the parents were separated.  And it makes a difference where we live too.  Being in Prince George (and I pardon my ignorance on this) I believe the closest Military units are out of Esquimalt.
Being the one that called your DET .... I thank you.

Scot57 said:
Being the one that called your DET .... I thank you.

Welcome back Scott,

I have no doubt that the family appreciates both your and Blackhorse7's actions in making this very difficult task as dignified as it could be.

It can never be an easy thing to have to do.

Thanks Veronica. Excellent response by the RCMP.

I'm not sure what happened with my old username/ password. Couldn't log in with my old handle and stopped trying months ago. I dropped one of the "t"'s in Scott and registered again.

Hope you're enjoying your new job ....

I should add ....excellent response from the BCRs as well.

Prayers and thoughts are with the family.

Deepest condolences to Cpl. McCully's family, friends and brothers & sisters in arms.
Speedy recovery to the wounded.
Godspeed troops  :salute: :cdn:

A somber setting for the ramp ceremony here.

A beautiful sunset, with colours overlooked us in standing to respect our fallen comrade.

My first, and hopefully last ramp ceremony here.

I didn't know Matt, but had seen him around a couple of times. Those who did know him had nothing but good to say for him.

My personal condolences to his family and friends, and RIP, Brother, you will not be forgotten.

Our voice shall rise unto heaven
a nation again bereaved
Your courage, never doubted
Your sacrifice, held dear
As you watch down upon our sorrow
know we mourn in deep respect
Friend, today, the piper’s songs are played for you

cadenced with due respect
Your laughter, reminder to continue
Your honour, cast in every footfall
know your spirit forever lives
Brother, today, the piper’s songs are played for you

a softly whispered prayer
Your touch, aching memories
Your smile, etched in every tear
know this love will never fade
Son, today, the piper’s songs are played for you

:salute:

My thoughts and prayers are with Cpl McCully's friends and family, in thier time of loss.

~Rebecca

Back