• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Crash Landing; The Passionate Eye-CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crow,

As you are in the Navy, what is a "fast attack tanker" as described by the stressed steward on this documentary? Do our supply ships have attack capabilities?

I was unable to find any other information on wpns for the supply ships, with the exception of the Phalanx CIWS. Why would a steward be touching this?

GO!!! said:
As you are in the Navy, what is a "fast attack tanker" as described by the stressed steward on this documentary? Do our supply ships have attack capabilities?
The AORs that were in the Gulf were often referred to by other navies as the "battle tankers".  It was a nickname that came from the way we employed them in-theatre: other navies generally prefer to keep their logistics ships well in the rear and doing nothing but replenishment, but we were using the AORs for general duties (interdiction, boardings and C2) in the operational area as well.  That being said, I've never heard the term "fast attack tanker" and it's certainly a stretch to claim that they're classified as such - their top speed is 21 knots.

HFXCROW, you said
"You had to be there before you can comment, Swiss Air was horrific and a traumatic event.
We lost people to PTSD."

I was there working the scene. Swiss Air didn't affect me, other than the usual human reaction of some sadness for the people and there families. It was grizzly but traumatic and horrific not really same as any other crash site. My question was how does it fit into the DSM. Under the old DSM you had to be in the plane and survive to get it. 

Fast Attack Tanker is a bit of sarcasm from the king of sarcasm.

The tankers had Javelin/Phalanx and 3 '50 and no stewards would be involved in any evolutions with AAW/ASUW weapons. Tankers are classified as HVU (High Value Units) and would never be involved in any offensive situations. I like to think of as the Galatica.

They are protected and to valuable to lose.

Which scene were you at? 3rd Horseman.

Some people worked Swiss Air and never came back to work. Remember J Hangar!

I am getting lost in acroymns.

I was an LO for the army, I had access and went to all areas. I was lucky as to my job, would not have wanted to have been a diver although the lure of millions in diamonds and cash may have edged me on. I have loads of respect for the dental techs and med staff in the hangar but lots of people were just tourist hanging around places they should not have been. Tough time but PTSD inducing I don't know how it fits into the DSM, and I know it did not fit into the DSM at the time?

DSM IV is the old  - or, more to the point, current - DSM.  DSM V will not be out until 2010 or so.  I think they come out every 15 years or so.

As for the flawed interpretations, remember that the guvmint is full of organizations like the military that apear to be ripe for the plundering by 'professions' that use our problems to further their agenda.

The 'featherbedding" and empire-building by the Social(ist) Worker/ Mental Health Profesional Mafia has just begun.  They will not be happy until %100 of the DND budget is absorbed by VAC, and we no longer train and equip men with weapons that can hurt women and babies.

You think I am joking?

Tom

To all,
          Here are the dates of the DSMs. DSM V is not out but it is being used to interpret DSM IV. Of interest is the reason for the changes, usually political, social and drug company lobby. 

American Psychiatric Association, "DSM-II", 1968
American Psychiatric Association, "DSM-III, 1980
American Psychiatric Association, "DSM-IV", 1994

"and drug company lobby."

- That's a good point.  What do you do after you invent a medication?  You invent an illness it needs to cure.

Tom 

I think this and the other thread have pretty well run their course...PTSD and the handling of mental illnesses (and yes, that is what it is) in the CF is improving...more complaining about it here isn't going to improve it any.
If you think you might have a problem related to this discussion, then look here:

Operational Trauma and Stress Support Centres:
http://www.forces.gc.ca/health/services/engraph/otssc_home_e.asp?Lev1=1&Lev2=2

If you are still not satisfied, take it up with your chain of command.

mods, lets lock this up.

GO!!

Thanks for the info:

This is the MAP website w/ phone number.

It is the only confidential mental health services that can be accessed by a CF member.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/health/services/engraph/member_assist_program_home_e.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back