• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Credit Check Durring Application

william1967

Inactive
Reaction score
A quick question.  I currently have a application submitted with the Army to become a reservist with a regiment in Ontario.  I noticed as part of the application process, the Forces does a credit check on applicants.  If I have bad credit, will this not allow me to be accepted and serve my country?

Thanks,

William

It all depends on why you have bad credit, if you are considered and through the process (interview) you will be asked about it if need be.

You will be required to prove that you've settled all outstanding debts before you'll be enrolled.  So if you haven't done that yet, take care of it now.

HavoK said:
You will be required to prove that you've settled all outstanding debts before you'll be enrolled.  So if you haven't done that yet, take care of it now.

NOT CORRECT!
you have to make sure your debt is in good standing and being paid back according to terms set out with the Debtor.  This is different then settling a debt.  You can have a settled debt and still be denied entrance as a security risk due to the way the debt is settled(Think Default).

How do I know this?  I have/Had debt and was allowed into the reserves in 2009.  The idea of Settling outstanding debt prior to entrance into the CF, well would mean it would soon become a very limited option for most of the Canadian Population.

Having large amounts of debt or severe financial problems is security risk. It depends on the level of security clearance you need. As a reservist with enhanced it is not very relevant so no worries.

I am not sure about reserves but for Regular Force I can shine some light on this topic.

I have/had bad credit and I am currently merit listed. It is not about having debt or how much. It is how you plan to deal with it and the history leading to it. In my case I was in credit counselling 2 times in 4 years. This was due to 4 lay offs in 5 years and having a wife and 3 kids. Young growing family at that time food was more important. What got me approved was this:

When my ENTIRE security clearance was put through the paperwork was in order. ROE's/Job history and lay offs dotted the I's and crossed the T's. So when looking at my file you could do the math yourself. Child aged 5 now was born in 2008 and oh look at that laid off 3 months before his birth. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to connect the dots. The point: Make sure your file is clear, leave as little questions as possible and be VERY humble! Do not take shame in saying "Look, I am trying to provide for my family and given the paths to choose from I choose the best possible path in that time frame". Your recruiter will look at that as a sign of honesty, trust, loyalty. Make sure it jives and all will be well.

Hope my store will add clarity on the subject. Just sell yourself as NOT a sell out. They want to ensure that you will not sell yourself to the enemy for $$ hence security breach.

They only do a soffcheck, so it should not affect credit score compared to a hardcheck

Back