• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Crossfit & the CF

Munxcub said:
If you are doing functional movements, at high intensity, and changing it up regularly, then I hate to tell you this but you're doing CrossFit.

I always thought that was circuit training...

Well like I said, call it what you want it's all the same. Unless you're doing "Curves" or any machine based circuit (those are useless as far as I'm concerned...)

Munx - I think that's some of the confusion. Imagine that I was going on and on about this new food - vertically browned ,crunchy bread - and how it was "the" ultimate breakfast food" - and people kept saying "You mean toast". I reply "Noooo.. this is much more than toast. You need stone ground, organically grown grain. Then you mill it, mix it with yeast and sugar and water, and bake it. Then you slice it into 1/2" thick slices, and using this special cooker - you cook to perfection using radiated heat from steel coils."

"So, it's toast".

"Noooo.... you just don't get it, obviously".

Oh of course. I see where you're coming from and I agree. For some there is a large "cult" like quality to it. For me it just clicked because I really knew nothing before on actual training for strength and conditioning. I was just going on "common knowledge" which was all pretty much back asswards.

CrossFit just organized new ideas and concepts for me into a nice package, made it interesting and fun to do. Plus it could also be a lucrative career if done right. I'm not one to say that it's new, because it isn't at all, it's pretty much back to the old school basics. But it IS effective, it IS fun and I do think everyone should be doing it (and by IT I mean functional movements, call it whatever you want I don't care)

I think we're on the same page, and I'd like to think that the CrossFit Crusaders are sort of the "vocal minority" as it were...

Munx: nice to see you're starting up an affiliate.. hopefully I'll get to visit someday if I ever make it out to the west coast.

muskrat: I would argue that it's not really toast. It's got all the same ingredients, but when it's cooked it comes with PB&J already on it. What I'm trying to say is that CrossFit is the same stuff, but packaged nicer.
- naming the workouts: kind of weird, yes. Whenever my buddy said he did "Cindy" one day and then "Michael" the next, I was a little confused. But there is a method to the madness. The argument behind naming the workouts comes down to the ability to rapidly communicate with fellow human beings. It's an abstraction. Instead of just calling it "workout 070605" or listing all the components of the workout, people can say "I did 20 rounds of Cindy".
- fitness as sport: This is an essential part of CrossFit. The idea that instead of just doing a 3 round circuit of run 800m, 50 sit ups and 50 back extensions, you do that circuit for time. Then, you post that time to your own log or the main website or a local affiliate website or whatever. I think this is also where the cultish devotion starts at - it brings out the competitive side of people in a community setting.

my few more cents on the topic...

Had a look at simplefit, as mentioned earlier it does seem a lot like a "light" version of Crossfit - has a whole lot of the same ideas post your workouts, community, etc. It even has crossfit as a link or friend.  You can also get a scaled workout at crossfitkids.com which you can go to directly or through the crossfit.com sight - it scales the workouts as well.  If you were to look at the earlier versions of some crossfit workouts they look much like simplefit or crossfit kids workouts as described.  So you are on track to move up to the full scale versions of crossfit workouts of the day, if so desired.

DVessey liked your points on naming the workouts and fitness as a sport. For example I did Chelsea yesterday and saying Chelsea is a heck of a lot easier then saying I did 5 chin-ups, 10 pushups and 15 Squats on the minute every minute for 30 minutes. And let me tell you I had to take a few extra breaks along the way.

Don't know how to handle the toast analogy, struggled to adjust it so I could demonstrate the difference between Crossfit toast and normal toast, as I would argue that packaging is really not the benefit of crossfit toast. I will throw this concept out there - how about about you're now cooking your toast on a TV show (the show here being the crossfit idea that your results are posted amongst a comunity or on a board for all to see).  All the contestants start with the same basic ingredients and need to produce toast. As I said before and others have as well - once you incorporate the ideal of broadcasting your results and the ideas of first place and last place in a fitness setting you take your fitness program to a different level then when you made your toast at home in your fizzy slippers and pajama's (for the record I wear fuzzy dog slippers).  When you're on the TV show making your toast you try harder, move faster, and more efficiently so that you beat the other competitors. That is crossfit.

I Crossfit at home - by doing so I acknowledge the fact that I am not getting the same workout I would if I crossfitted with a  group at the base gym. I also keep my results to myself, logging them on my computer at home so only I can see them. I suppose now that I say that, in retrospect it may be better for me to say I circuit trained or interval trained at home.

Just a reference to paracowboy's post..

He got it correct WAAAAYYYYY back there at the begining...thanks bro..

And agreed. The ONLY way to get used to a ruck march is ruck marching. :D

paracowboy said:
I dig Crossfit. especially it's value for strengthening the abdominal girdle, or core.
But, it's not the be-all and end-all for PT in the CF, IMO.

It doesn't address power training. That can only be obtained by lifting heavy (HEAVY) things up. For power, you need power lifting. I became aware of the need for power training when I got caught up in a small riot in Bosnia, and had to batter my way through to get some troops out of it. Without the strength to throw those skinny li'l Croats around, I wouldn't have succeeded.

It doesn't develop comradery. That can only be developed by playing team sports, or going through Obstacle courses as a unit. By practicing teamwork in sports, we better learn to implement teamwork on the battlefield. And, as we all know, teamwork is the basis of what we do. And what we are.

It doesn't develop the warrior mindset. That comes from Hand-to-Gland trainng, martial arts, and aggressive sports like hockey and rugby. Soldiers need to develop that aggresive mentality.

It doesn't do squat to prepare you for humpin' a ruck. Only way to do that is by humpin' a ruck.

So, I feel it is an important tool in the box, but no more than that. It's part of a complete PT program, but not a complete program in and of itself.

Although it beats the heck out of going for a run 4 days a week, with a ruck march to break the monotony.

Blackthorne - I think there are two statements which are correct in paracowboy's statement.  The first and most important is that CrossFit is a tool in the toolbox - albeit I think it could be the one you reach for all the time and that the only way to prepare to hump a ruck is to hump a ruck (although I have reservations as accepting that as a blanket statement - Crossfit is not a sport or event specific program).  The other statements are wrong - a couple posts after para's comments should have dispelled the 1st point as simply not true, for the other 2, peruse the message boards at crossfit.com and you may get a different view.

plattypuss said:
Blackthorne - I think there are two statements which are correct in paracowboy's statement.  The first and most important is that CrossFit is a tool in the toolbox - albeit I think it could be the one you reach for all the time and that the only way to prepare to hump a ruck is to hump a ruck (although I have reservations as accepting that as a blanket statement - Crossfit is not a sport or event specific program). The other statements are wrong - a couple posts after para's comments should have dispelled the 1st point as simply not true, for the other 2, peruse the message boards at crossfit.com and you may get a different view.

Plat;

I have been doing Crossfit for almost a year and have been on the CrossFit boards for about three months.

I can see you drank the koolaid brother. ;D That's OK. So have I to a certain extent. But that is no excuse for calling another persons opinion "wrong". Those statements are not WRONG. They are his POV and are as valid as truth, at the very least to him, and to some others here, most notably ME. I think you need to develop and different vocabulary for "arguing on the internet" :D

CrossFit does use Olympic style lifts to develop power. But the weight ranges are often a compromise on true power lifting (for obvious reasons). The small amounts of true power lifting that are rotated into the WOD's are not going to get you the power you need grab your buddy in full armor and ammo load out and toss him into a LAV. Also, I am a BFG, and I need to go to much higher poundages than what is prescribed in the WODs to get any real gains in strength. Just for the power exercises mind you. Just about everything else kicks my ass :D

As far as team building and warrior mindset, I still have to go with paracowboy on those points. The only way (again, in my opinion and experience after having built a few VERY competitive but non-combat teams myself) is the only way get people to bond and be aggressive (guys in particular) is by getting up close and personal in a competitive environment. (e.g share and deal out pain, sweat, cuts and bruises to each other). I don't see that happening in Crossfit. It's very often you against the clock, and when it does get competitive, it's low contact.

CrossFit is probably the most effective way for people of beginning or intermediate fitness to train to a peak leel of overall fitness, but it generalization, they very thing it excels in, makes it unable to cover all the bases at higher levels of fitness. SOME specialization is needed, and that is a very personal and goal oriented thing.

Not sure if this was off topic, and I surely DON'T want to crap all over our CrossFit thread, but I want others to know that they are not alone in thinking CrossFit is not the Silver bullet.

Good meeting (and debating) you here!  :argument:

My 02

Thanks Black - I suppose we would be taking it off track if we continued but I have to, I just do!  My only rebuttal is to your comment on power (and I admit not all weeks are like this) is that if you review the last couple days of CrossFit you get:
1. Today - Deadlift 225 lbs, Handstand push-ups;
2. Yesterday - Front Squat 5-5-5-5... with whatever weight you can do for 5 reps
3. Tuesday - Rest
But just to be clear I drank the kool-aid, enjoyed it but I only drink from its cool frothy essence every once and a while (or is that beer...), I do a number of different things as I am not a BFG and still enjoy running long distances.  I use a lot of the lifting information from Alwyn Cosgrove, as a bigger guy and lifter you may know about him - I also access Testosterone nation for information - although it may not be completely safe for work. Alwyn tried Crossfit, used to be a supporter, but has evolved it to fit his needs for coaching power lifting and athletes of all kinds.
I will work on my internet arguing skills but I figure most would understand that when I say something is wrong - it is always in my opinion just like when you said he got it correct - I was trying to sway you, but my use of the "Force" must be waning :p. I agree with you on your last statement on peak fitness and have already agreed on the tool in the toolbox concept of crossfit.

Just a quick link to a beginner's program which was posted on the CrossFit site a long time ago.  It incorporates a schedule more like what I do today (ie I do not follow the Workout of the Day concept). As I may do weights/crossfit one day and the run the next.  It incorporates the basic exercises of running/jogging, deadlifts, squats and the push press. The link is Safe for work, involves no drinking of kool-aid nor subliminal I love crossfit messages... ;D
http://www.crossfit.com/journal/library/BeginnersMay03.pdf

Just wondering how many crossfitter's there are out there. I'm fairly new myself starting about half a year ago.
I see the odd person doing the WOD's at the gym but not very many. (Petawawa)

Just wondering if its catching on at any other bases? (I heard something about 1 cmbg getting funding for crossfit specific gym equip/areas)

For anyone that hasn't heard of it you should check it out.
I've never before been able to do a workout in ~5 mins and be completely smoked afterward, until crossfit.

I'm kinda surprised that there's no affiliates in Petawawa.. I'm thinking there will be a big boost in the next little while..

punkd: It looks like you posted a new topic that got merged into this one. I imagine if you read through all 9 pages you'll get more info than you ever wanted.

Quick answer: I've seen people (of all colours of uniform - I'm blue myself) doing crossfit or crossfit-like workouts in Kingston and Leitrim. It's not huge, but it looks like it's being pushed from on high and from below, now it's just equipment and training.

I just got posted to Vancouver and, while on summer leave, I began using the WODs to put some spark back into my PT regime. For the last few years at my last unit, our section PT has been usually uninteresting, dull, and not challenging. (except while I was tasked with running it of course). However, for next few years I will be lucky enough to be able to be in charge of my regime. But, I am so stuck in the old way of group level PT that I find myself getting lonely. Are there any CFers at Jericho? As many of these exercises are new to me, at least the weight training, I am looking for assistance on form and technique.

Paddy,

The are sciencrossfitologists all over this site, I'm sure a few will be along shortly.  Their own version of Tom Cruise used to post like mad on here.

Kat Stevens said:
The are sciencrossfitologists all over this site, I'm sure a few will be along shortly.  Their own version of Tom Cruise used to post like mad on here.

When people hate on things, its usually because they are not good at it.  ;D

I recently drank the KoolAid myself.

I have found CrossFit to be exactly what it claims to be, not a "Magic Bullet".  It is however, a great system that a certain Super fit CWO is pushing, and he is a great leader to follow I have found, WRT fitness.

Like most, I have found it to be something to mix it up, keep the body guessing, and let you know you "Ain't all that".  Its amazing how burpees can make the bile come out your nose.

I also found that I need to do cardio more often than is perscribed by the WOD, but thats ME, not YOU.  My Cardio goes to pieces if I don't keep it up.  I found that I needed more after the first couple of weeks.

As opposed to training for a specific sport, like rugby, soccer, track, sychronized-swimming, or tiddly-winks, all of which have specific requirements, this is to help build an all around fit human.

I just wish they hadn't set the date for the certification in TO on Thanksgiving weekend.

Big_Rifleman said:
It is however, a great system that a certain Super fit CWO is pushing, and he is a great leader to follow I have found, WRT fitness.

RSM of a certain Toronto Inf unit? Am I thinking of the right guy?

popnfresh said:
RSM of a certain Toronto Inf unit? Am I thinking of the right guy?

Yes you are.   ;)  And btw the the reasoning behind having the Crossfit Cert at Moss Park on thanksgiving (which is already sold out), is because there will be no courses/exs scheduled for that weekend.

Back