• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Crown ignores RCMP deal with pedophile

K

Kunu

Not sure if this is the right forum for this; mods please move it if it isn't. 

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1155246610902&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154&t=TS_Home

Crown ignores RCMP deal with pedophile
Will seek dangerous offender status
Police offer not binding, prosecutor says
Aug. 11, 2006. 06:09 AM
NASREEN GULAMHUSEIN
STAFF REPORTER

To coax Peter Whitmore out of the abandoned farmhouse in Saskatchewan where he was found with two young boys, RCMP wrote a letter promising to recommend the convicted pedophile not be designated a dangerous offender.

Yesterday, the Crown announced it would effectively ignore the RCMP recommendation and will seek to have Whitmore classified as a dangerous offender if he's convicted of kidnapping and sexually assaulting a Saskatchewan boy and a Manitoba teenager.

That could mean Whitmore, 35, who has been convicted of a litany of offences involving children that date back more than a decade, will spend the rest of his life in jail.

"There is a reasonable likelihood that a judge would find him a dangerous offender and so we will go ahead with that application," said senior Crown prosecutor Anthony Gerein.

Outside court in Regina yesterday, Gerein pointed out that the RCMP lived up to their part of the deal by making the recommendation to the Crown.

But Gerein said a recommendation from the police is not binding on the prosecution.

The letter was penned during a 10-hour standoff with police outside a farmhouse in Kipling, Sask., to convince Whitmore to surrender peacefully.

The young boy from Saskatchewan and teenager from Manitoba, whose identities are protected by a publication ban, were released during the standoff and reunited with their families.

Whitmore has been in custody since surrendering on Aug. 1 after a two-day manhunt.

The letter, written and signed by RCMP Insp. Len Del Pino, also said police would not propose Whitmore serve a life sentence and that Whitmore had agreed to plead guilty to recent offences.

"If you notice, the only signature on the letter was from the RCMP," said Gerein. "There was no adoption of the agreement from the prosecution at any time."

Gerein added that, "I can't speak on behalf of the RCMP, but I suspect that is why the officer chose to use the word `recommend' in the letter. He knows that it's up to the prosecution to decide what to do."

Gerein also said officers involved in the case "are to be commended for the sterling service they gave the people of Saskatchewan and the wonderful end that they brought to this matter."

The RCMP have refused to comment on the letter.

Being designated a dangerous offender allows judges to impose indeterminate sentences on criminals.

Crown prosecutors are eligible to make an application for the dangerous offender designation once a person is convicted of a serious personal injury offence, such as rape or murder. They must get approval from the provincial attorney general, and then go through a number of steps, including a psychiatric assessment to ascertain whether the person might reoffend.

The indefinite sentence is reviewed after seven years of custody and every two years after that.

Some dangerous offenders do get parole and are released into the community, said Gerein. "The perception is that you are locked away and forgotten about and that is just not the case."

As of May 2005, there were 336 dangerous offenders in the system, including rapist and murderer Paul Bernardo.

Malcolm Green, mayor of one of the boys' hometowns, is setting up a letter-writing campaign to make legislation regarding dangerous offenders more strict.

"I wish this kind of thing would stop but I know it won't," said Green. "If you let this guy out he'll go and repeat tomorrow. He's not going to change."

Although the town is shaken up, Green did say "we still walk here at night without a worry but people will take a closer look at strangers now."

Daniel Brodsky, a lawyer who has indicated he intends to represent Whitmore, has said the RCMP letter brought about an end to the standoff and its contents should be honoured. He was unavailable yesterday.

A legal aid lawyer represented Whitmore in court yesterday and requested an adjournment until later this month. It is not clear whether Brodsky will represent Whitmore as the case progresses.

The case was adjourned to Aug. 24.

With files from Canadian Press

So what does everyone think about this deal? 

The way I see it, while I do believe the "dangerous offender" status is fully appropriate for this scumbag, I'm also a bit concerned that the RCMP may have lost a bargaining chip for future situations like this (applicable to more than just pedophilia cases), which we all know are going to unfortunately still happen.  I noted the fact that the letter (as far as we know) promised only a recommendation, not a guarantee, but nonetheless, it could be construed by some as an attempt to mislead.

According to the various newscasts, the RCMP promised only a recommendation, and even then Whitmore knew the crown would not sign off on it....Tough Sh*t...

As for future negotiations, the RCMP do not promise more than they can deliver, and can only recommend...if every recommendation was accepted, then it is the RCMP, not the Crown that sets the charges.

I am happy, and hope that Whitmore rots in a prison cell....or we could send him off to some state with with death penalty.

During that whole search for the boys, I was crossing my fingers and hoping that he didn't touch the boys.
Now that is was confirmed that he did....he needs to be dealt with extremely harshly.
Maybe stick him in GenPop...that might be a way to "cure" his disease.

KM,

Sleep well at night.  This is nothing to get worked up over.  Firstly, this is from the STAR which is your first clue.  Secondly, there is no story here and this another attempt by a media outlet to create controversy or to further sensationalize the matter.  Law enforcement have within their investigative arsenal the tools of trickery and deception.  It appears that these were deployed as a means to resolve the stand-off.  Lastly, RCMP won't comment? well, that is simply because the matter is now before the courts and in the hands of of the Crown..

On that note..good job to the Horsemen!

No conspiracy here..  move along now there is nothing to see...  ;D

the problem with the dangerous offender status is that he is kept out of the prison general population. That scumbag would not last very long in general population

Springroll said:
I am happy, and hope that Whitmore rots in a prison cell....or we could send him off to some state with with death penalty.

Very much seconded too bad we did get rid of the death penalty we could sure use it now.

Kilo Mike said:
So what does everyone think about this deal? 

They held up their end and made the "recommendation", although I suspect there wasn't a lot of conviction behind it.

The way I see it, while I do believe the "dangerous offender" status is fully appropriate for this scumbag, I'm also a bit concerned that the RCMP may have lost a bargaining chip for future situations like this (applicable to more than just pedophilia cases), which we all know are going to unfortunately still happen.  I noted the fact that the letter (as far as we know) promised only a recommendation, not a guarantee, but nonetheless, it could be construed by some as an attempt to mislead.

No they still have that chip, see above.  As far as being seen as "misleading", show me where it says the police must always tell the truth when dealing with suspects.  Fact is they mislead, and downright lie to people all the time in the course of thier duties (think undercover ops, stings, interogations), and the courts have routinely found it an acceptable practice.  Sometimes it the only way to get the job done.  But here is a thought, if you don't want to get hoodwinked by the police, DON'T BREAK THE LAW!!!  ;)

The RCMP held up their end of the deal, good enough.

Let him rot in jail if the judge so finds it. Which I hope the Judge does.

The only thing that would make me more happier is if he was to have his entire 'sentance' carried out in the general population of the prison. Now that would be a living hell in a living hell, and he diserves that and more!

My 2 cents.

Wes

PIKER said:
Sleep well at night.  This is nothing to get worked up over.  Firstly, this is from the STAR which is your first clue.   Secondly, there is no story here and this another attempt by a media outlet to create controversy or to further sensationalize the matter.  Law enforcement have within their investigative arsenal the tools of trickery and deception.  It appears that these were deployed as a means to resolve the stand-off. 

Thinking about this a little more, I have to agree that it's not the big deal I first thought it was.  I'd perhaps guess that this has been a common tactic in standoffs and hostage type situations in the past, but just didn't get picked up by the press.  It's also nice to know that the public hasn't reacted favourably to the Star's attempted rabble rousing here (now that would be seriously disturbing).

Hatchet Man said:
But here is a thought, if you don't want to get hoodwinked by the police, DON'T BREAK THE LAW!!!  ;)

Haha, that one's a personal favourite of mine, I've used it quite a bit when having discussions  ;D

Wesley, that is so well said!

I wish they would place these sick people among other inmates so they would get what they deserve.
Perhaps a taste of their own medecine .. the adult way!

rz350 said:
Let him rot in jail if the judge so finds it. Which I hope the Judge does.

Can we get 2 out of 3 chances at judges?

Back