• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CSOR in Army news

Armymedic

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Mentor
Reaction score
video clip from Army News. I believe you have to download to watch:

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/LF/English/6_1_1_1.asp?id=1298

It's the latest of a number of videos and articles regarding CSOR.

"CSOR graduates first members"
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/6_1_1.asp?id=1218

"Soldiers are evaluated for entry into the new Canadian Special Operations Regiment"
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/6_1_1_1.asp?id=1118

On another note, does anyone have any pics of the grad parade, besides for the couple already posted?

Bubbles said:
"Soldiers are evaluated for entry into the new Canadian Special Operations Regiment"
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/6_1_1_1.asp?id=1118

Wow, I hope the young Gunner with then initials N.G. gets someone in his chain to fill him in on topics like "staying in your lane" or maybe Army News picks up on the difference between some Pte's rumours and news.  Quotes to the effect that its a 'Battle Ready Group' and 'Its like the old Airborne Regiment' are not only false but are damaging.  If someone has questions they should contact their base PSO and recruiting - not fabricate rumours.

little jim said:
Wow, I hope the young Gunner with then initials N.G. gets someone in his chain to fill him in on topics like "staying in your lane" or maybe Army News picks up on the difference between some Pte's rumours and news.  Quotes to the effect that its a 'Battle Ready Group' and 'Its like the old Airborne Regiment' are not only false but are damaging.  If someone has questions they should contact their base PSO and recruiting - not fabricate rumours.

On the other hand, since the Army news is vetted by senior officers prior to being aired, maybe this gunner's statements are accurate - and that's why they were placed on the show in the first place.

Also, why is comparison to the Airborne Regiment "damaging" and how do you know they are false?

The guy even said that it was all rumour at that point...

GO!!! said:
Also, why is comparison to the Airborne Regiment "damaging" and how do you know they are false?

Well the Airborne - amongst other tasks - had to be able to respond to a major air disaster in the far north as one of its tasks.  Not so with the Spec Ops Regt.  Also the Airborne belonged to the army - like wise the Spec Ops Regt does not.

Austrailia has both Para Battalion and a Commando Battalion - Can you really ask for a better illustration of why there is a difference?

Gents, it doesn't really matter, its his opinion, his misinformtion.

another video:

A new unit for a new age

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/6_1_1_1.asp?id=1313

Missed that last video. There's also the very first, and very detailed, video that introduces the creation of CSOR, although it's link has already been posted acouple of times on this forum.

CSOR - U.S. Army Rangers
Cdn Ab Rgt - parachute-capable light force

That's a simplistic analogy but that's really the simplest way for anyone to understand the different roles of the two units. Although...it has been stated elsewhere that Ottawa is 'reconsidering' CSOR's role, but that's just more RUMINT for ya.

Bubbles said:
Missed that last video. There's also the very first, and very detailed, video that introduces the creation of CSOR, although it's link has already been posted acouple of times on this forum.

CSOR - U.S. Army Rangers
Cdn Ab Rgt - parachute-capable light force

That's a simplistic analogy but that's really the simplest way for anyone to understand the different roles of the two units. Although...it has been stated elsewhere that Ottawa is 'reconsidering' CSOR's role, but that's just more RUMINT for ya.

To boil things down for us that much, you must be well acquainted with SF units in several countries, and be well connected to the powers that be in Ottawa - even more so than the men in both of the the units mentioned, who laugh at such a comparison!

Hey. I'm an Air Cadet (777 Neptune)

Oh wait, that explains it - is there anything Cadets don't know? ::)

There seems to be a whole lot of speculation going on here - if you don't know, STFU.

Little jim,

You still have'nt explained why it is "damaging" for a unit to be compared to the Airborne - even as a frame of reference.

Fair enough.

I don't believe my statement was entirely inaccurate, in fact I believe it is fairly common knowledge; this is the only reason why I pointed it out. That being said, I was out of my lane and will refrain from making such posts in the future.

GO!!! said:
Little jim,

You still have'nt explained why it is "damaging" for a unit to be compared to the Airborne - even as a frame of reference.

Okay - damaging might have been too harsh a word.  But then again comparing the MGS to a Tank was damaging.

If the Army and Government had wanted to form an airborne/parachute battalion it would have been extremely easier, less expensive and made more sense to just re-role one of the light battalions to all para positions. 

That clearly wasn't the path the CF has gone down.

Back