• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CT -- Reserves into ROTP/RMC (merged)

speak with your unit orderly room. They'll have a form on the DIN that you can fill out. Under the "select desire program" option, select ROTP. After that, someone from Ottawa should e-mail you.

Yes you can train with a reserve unit. I my self CT'd from PRes Infantry Officer, to RegF MARS officer. And due to my background in the reserves I wanted to give back some time, as other class B soldiers did for my platoon to help out. So now I am training with a Navy PRes Unit, not only gaining that extra experience, but I find it keeps me in the better military mind set through the school year. All it takes is a memo through you CoC to the CO to get it approved for the volunteer time. As well you would need something from the PRes Unit.

As far as summer courses go take them if you have the time. It is never a sure thing if you will be selected and dont turn down course loadings because you think you might be going somewhere. Plan for the worst and hope for the best, though I do wish you the best in your application. Currently how it stands there is a 2-3 week ROTP orientation period in Kingston or Saint-Jean depending on you qualifications, school, etc. I did not attend it and was slated to instructed but got held back do to some paper work problems last year. If (like me) you did not get selected my contract never kicked in until the end of Aug so that still leaves plenty of time to work. Get the money if you can, get promoted if you can, it all pays off later down the road. As well more education (Regardless of NCM-Officer) if your going on course never hurts you. Best of luck!   

I have a quick question that hopefully can get a quick answer. If a regular force NCM whose first contract is done in a little less than year is curious about the possibility of becoming an officer what (if any) would be the process? Would you have to return to the awesomeness that CFLRS to do BMOQ? Also would the accredited degree still be a requirement? Thank you for any replies. Again just curious.

This is quick answer just from memory:

If a regular force NCM whose first contract is done in a little less than year is curious about the possibility of becoming an officer what (if any) would be the process?

There are several programmes for serving NCMs to become commissioned:

UTPNCM - must be accepted at a university and by the CF for funding;
SRCP - usually only offered to CWO or exceptional MWO;
CFR - must be Sgt, MOC and rank qualified; a pure nomination programme
SCP - must have an undergraduate degree completed

Would you have to return to the awesomeness that CFLRS to do BMOQ?

Unlikely, however each case is different.

Also would the accredited degree still be a requirement?

Yes, with the exception of CFR and SRCP; accepting that CFR and SRCP would not be offered in your circumstance.

It's been a couple of years since I last looked at the subject, so I could be in error. Notwithstanding, I'm sure someone more current will correct me if appropriate.

When I went through this process last year, the CDA informed me that they were only providing full BMOQ equivalencies for NCMs that had completed the PLQ.

Hey so I've served with 1RCR for the last three years and am now serving with a reserve unit. I applied for ROTP and am wondering what training I will have to go through. Since I already have basic training, does anyone know how I will be placed exactly?

Your prior training will be PLARed. Then they will let you know what equivalences you have earned. Some bypass BMOQ straight to CAP.

Some will not do the first half of Phase 1 (used to be known as IAP) and move straight onto the leadership aspect of phase 1 (BMOQ). It really depends on what leadership qualifications you hold.

You will probably have to go through BMOQ, because the course is not the same.
Many friends of mine went from reserve to RMC, but they still have to do their BMOQ.
Something good about it though is that you will probably be exempted from some of the tests you already went through.

When I went through BOTC (as we called BMOQ in those days), the only folks with previous service who were exempted the course (regular or reserve) were those who had previously completed both the JLC and SLC courses (PLQ and ILQ in modern speak).

Hello all,

I've been lurking on these forums for a while, trying to get information on ROTP and the infantry officer trade.

One thing that I can't find is the process of applying for ROTP from the PRes (which I am currently in). I used the search function, and looked at every page of this board and the occupational and component transfer board. Some posts suggest that you have to put in your CT and wait, or put in your CT and then you're free to put in your application to ROTP at the CFRC, or that you simply skip the CT and fill in the section on the ROTP application about your current unit and trade. The recruiters at the CFRC have never done this before so they don't know what to do, nor do my unit's clerks.

So my question is: What is the process for a member of the PRes to apply to ROTP? Also, I would like know where you got the information from (e.g. personal experience, you're a recruiter, a certain document, etc.).

Thanks

EDIT:  Once I complete the process I will make a new thread with the necessary information for future applicants in my situation.

Hello,

I did that process last year, so I can give you a pretty solid idea.

Everything for ROTP, no matter your circumstances, begins at the Recruiting Centre.  You will have to go through most of the same process as a new recruit.  The only difference is that you may not need to do the CFAT and the Medical again, and that depends on your performance on the CFAT and when your last medical was.  You will submit an application to Component Transfer (CT) during your application process, noting that it is dependant on being accepted into ROTP.  If you get a letter of offer, you accept and then go through the procedures of a CT.

ekpiper

Hi,

You must do a component transfer.  I work at a CFRD and we are dealing with this exact issue right now.  An individual applied and got into the PRes with the idea that this would make it "easy" for him to go ROTP. When he found out that wasn't the case he tried to release and now it is casuing headaches for everyone. 
FYI people have been waiting on component transfers for well over a year.  However doing this allows for great pay when you become an OCdt, as you will stay in your old pay scale.

In my case, the component transfer happened in a very timely fashion.  As there are explicit deadlines for the ROTP process, they are likely considered priority, and separate from normal CTs.  While I applied for the CT in early NOV-2009, my ROTP acceptance letter came in on 15-MAR-2010.  The transfer took place on 5-AUG-2010.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Unfortunately I received some conflicting answers, but it's a good start.

It seems to me that ekpiper applied for a CT through your unit then applied for ROTP at the recruiting centre simultaneously yet separately, is this correct?

Gino151, I submitted my CT application in early October, and on 16-OCT-2011 I received the e-mail that they received the application. Do I have to wait until my CT is accepted (which could likely be after the 15-JAN-2012 (?) deadline) to apply for ROTP? And what about Part 4 on the ROTP questionnaire where it asks if I am in a PRes unit?

Also, anyone else is free to add their own input.

Thanks again!

P.S. Once I complete the process I will make a new thread with the necessary information for future applicants in my situation.

azman648 said:
P.S. Once I complete the process I will make a new thread with the necessary information for future applicants in my situation.

Why not just continue with this one?  Afterwards, maybe a Mod will sticky the thread.

azman648 said:
Thanks for the quick replies.

Unfortunately I received some conflicting answers, but it's a good start.

It seems to me that ekpiper applied for a CT through your unit then applied for ROTP at the recruiting centre simultaneously yet separately, is this correct?

Gino151, I submitted my CT application in early October, and on 16-OCT-2011 I received the e-mail that they received the application. Do I have to wait until my CT is accepted (which could likely be after the 15-JAN-2012 (?) deadline) to apply for ROTP? And what about Part 4 on the ROTP questionnaire where it asks if I am in a PRes unit?

Also, anyone else is free to add their own input.

Thanks again!

As it happened, I submitted my CT at the Recruiting Centre, but it gets sent to your unit automatically.  That was the same day that I had handed in my questionnaire to apply for ROTP.  If you intend to apply for ROTP, you should do so immediately, as it is best to go through any hoops early on; Delays can appear in any step, whether it be a Recruiting Centre flub, or D Mil C, or medical.

WRT Part 4, you should fill out exactly what it asks for, as you are a reservist.  Joining as a PRes in all likelihood does add to your application, but it alone can never guarantee acceptance.

ekpiper

<edit to remove double signature>

I am going to try for ROTP as well, I went to the CFRC and they gave me a questionnaire and told me to put a CT through when I parade with my unit.

Lil r said:
I am going to try for ROTP as well, I went to the CFRC and they gave me a questionnaire and told me to put a CT through when I parade with my unit.
ekpiper said:
As it happened, I submitted my CT at the Recruiting Centre, but it gets sent to your unit automatically.  That was the same day that I had handed in my questionnaire to apply for ROTP.

Which recruiting centre did you apply through? Maybe I can call them and then they can talk to the guys at my recruiting centre and fill them in.

Back