• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CT -- Reserves into ROTP/RMC (merged)

azman648 said:
Which recruiting centre did you apply through? Maybe I can call them and then they can talk to the guys at my recruiting centre and fill them in.
I applied through CFRC Windsor.  I don't know if there is much for them to tell, as aside from having my medical/CFAT taken from my prior application, it made no difference to the application process.  Once your CT application is done, thigs will start moving again if you get accepted.

At this point, your primary focus should be getting your ROTP application moving.  You still have to do an interview, which can take time to schedule.

ekpiper

Hi,
I searched all around and couldn't find answers to my questions.

I was in Kingston a few months ago and a cadet at RMC gave me a tour of the place. The cadet recommended I join the Reserves before going the ROTP route for the reason of getting a little experience in the military before committing to it. I thought it was a smart idea so I'm planning to apply when I turn 17 in March. I'm currently in grade 11.

My questions are:
1: If I complete my medical/aptitude test/interview for the reserves, will I do them all again when I apply to ROTP in September? I'm not complaining, just wondering(I'd actually be happier to do them all again, it would help to fix any problems I had first time around)

2: Will I continue working with the reserves during the application period, right up until I accept my offer to RMC (if I get one that is), or will I have to stop when I apply this fall?

And any other thoughts you have on the idea of joining the reserves would me much appreciated.
Thanks in advanced.

If you can get into the reserves in a timely manner, I would think it a good move. It will give you a bit of an insight into the life and training, and perhaps help you earn a bit higher incentive for when you go to RMC, although I am not sure how this is calculated these days. I do know that my being in the reserves certainly helped my pay incentive, but I went from NCM to NCM, I did not become an Officer Cadet.

1. I went through ROTP selection and never had to redo an aptitude test, as my score was high enough for the officer trades I selected. I had to update my medical because it had been a few years, and I did another interview. The ROTP interview was far more in depth than any other interview I have had so far in the CF. Show up prepared and able to communicate well, and it will reflect positively on you. Research the trades and have an idea why you would like and dislike them, and show true enthusiasm to the MCC interviewing you.

2. No you can keep working with your reserve unit until you are given an offer. I would possibly not tell the unit that you intend to apply for ROTP, as they might want to hire someone else who wants to stay in the reserves longer. Not saying this is the case everywhere, but just keep that in mind. I would suggest keeping your goals to yourself, and just surprise them one day with an acceptance offer. I cannot recall there being any requirement to notify your reserve unit of your intent, but again, take this as dated experience and with a grain of salt please. Worst case scenario if you don't get in the first time around, you will have the reserves to build experience and leadership in to reinforce an application another year. Plus, it's one of the best part time jobs going.

Last thing...make sure you pick 3 trade choices you actually want. I was stupid and only wanted my top pick. My medical file took it's sweet time to be deemed "med fit", and as such, the trade I wanted filled up. I ended up throwing a great interview and aptitude test into the garbage because I didn't want to settle for another trade. I then went Reg Force as an NCM...and I am starting to see that I missed out. Don't throw away a good chance. You may never see it again.

Good luck - keep your head down, work hard, and with any luck you will be my boss in 5-6 years.

Thank you for the response Spectrum, I really appreciate it. Especially that you went above and beyond what I asked for.

What you said about not telling the unit I hope to join that I plan to apply for ROTP, at what point do I tell them? As far as I've been able to tell from here: http://www.rmc.ca/adm/rotpr-pforr-eng.asp,  I would need to apply for a CT before I apply to ROTP. Do you or anyone know if they would consider not taking me for the reserves because I plan to apply for ROTP?

Thanks again spectrum, I will be taking everything you said into consideration.

thomf said:
Thank you for the response Spectrum, I really appreciate it. Especially that you went above and beyond what I asked for.

What you said about not telling the unit I hope to join that I plan to apply for ROTP, at what point do I tell them? As far as I've been able to tell from here: http://www.rmc.ca/adm/rotpr-pforr-eng.asp,  I would need to apply for a CT before I apply to ROTP. Do you or anyone know if they would consider not taking me for the reserves because I plan to apply for ROTP?

Thanks again spectrum, I will be taking everything you said into consideration.

Unless things have changed significantly since I did it (albeit 27 years ago), you should not have to mention this to your prospective Reserve unit.  Keep in mind, at this point, you are neither a Reservist, nor an ROTP candidate.  You are a civilian who's looking at options.  I suggest you treat them separately and apply for both as soon as you are able.  If you apply for the Reserve in March, you don't have to say anything about applying for ROTP, because you won't be doing it at that time anyway.  In fact, you won't even be able to apply for another six months anyway.  You could actually change your mind in that timeframe and decide that Reserve service is what you really want and you could change your mind about ROTP altogether.  Don't burn bridges before you cross them.

Once you get into the Reserve unit, you likely won't have to worry about telling them, because the recruiting system will let them know (they'll be looking for information).  Again, don't worry about this.  The Reserve actually expects this sort of thing, especially from students.  Reserve units fully realize that everytime a reservist finishes high school, there is a chance the unit will lose him/her simply because their educational path may take them away, whether it's military or not.  There's a possibility that you could get a hard time from your peers and even your supervisors, but my experience was that my Reserve unit as a whole was very supportive when I applied for ROTP.  I even got a nice congratulatory card from the JR Mess (still have it somewhere).

Think of it this way.  If you're applying for a job at McDonald's, you don't have to tell them that you're also applying for one at Burger King. 

I'm very happy to see that this question has been answered. I can say I will benefit from this.

I would like to add a question relating to the benefits of taking reserve force before going into ROTP. If an individual was applying for ROTP and is declined, could the recruitment centre, at the applicants discretion,  move them into an application process that would lead them to employment with a reservist unit? I especially would hate end up having to be sitting around at home for another year do sweet nothing and having to wait another year for a shot at ROTP. Gaining experience in the reserves is probably highly beneficial and I for one would like to exploit it if I was declined from ROTP.

Thanks in advance.

-Phoebe :cdn: :yellow:

Phoebe said:
I'm very happy to see that this question has been answered. I can say I will benefit from this.

I would like to add a question relating to the benefits of taking reserve force before going into ROTP. If an individual was applying for ROTP and is declined, could the recruitment centre, at the applicants discretion,  move them into an application process that would lead them to employment with a reservist unit? I especially would hate end up having to be sitting around at home for another year do sweet nothing and having to wait another year for a shot at ROTP. Gaining experience in the reserves is probably highly beneficial and I for one would like to exploit it if I was declined from ROTP.

Thanks in advance.

-Phoebe :cdn: :yellow:

I was actually looking for an answer to that exact same question! My situation is this:
I'm currently taking a 5th year of high school ('victory lap' as some call it), because due to certain circumstances, I ended up losing my spot at a University deeming me unfit for ROTP last year.
Anyways, I applied for 'Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Officer' as well as 'Communications and Electronics Engineering Officer' last year at ROTP. At one point, I was told by my local CFRC that I was registered for the program, but was not going to be attending RMC.
Of course, since I was not able to attend a Civillian University -and consequently ROTP- , I decided to take another year of highschool to increase the competitiveness of my profile.

This year, I applied online, e-mailed my supporting documents and am currently awaiting a replay from the CFNRCC.

@Thomf Regarding applying to ROTP and Reserves at the same time, I don't think it's possible.
I say this because when I attended the university fair this year, I spoke with one of the correspondents for RMC regarding applying to ROTP and Reserves simultaenously and she told me that you can only apply to one at a time.
It would probably be best if you called your local CFRC (if you applied in person) or the CFNRCC if you applied online and asked them.

If anyone can answer the question regarding applying to reserves (if declined by ROTP), that'd be great!

-Kevin

I have been searching everywhere to find specific information on CT ROTP acceptances (as I am one now) and I can only find civilian timelines such as swear in dates and BMOQ (which I should be exempt from as I have my PLQ). I understand that contacting a recruiting centre would be a good idea, however my RC centre contact is away on leave for a week, my file manager in Ottawa is very busy with this years applicant processing and I have been informed that any more details will be sent by mail no sooner than 3 weeks from now.

So I am running low on time and I am intending to take a couple university courses through the summer on my own dime to ease my workload in the coming years. this means that I will be busy from may 7th to mid August and I need to know if this will conflict with any important dates or processes that will be happening though the summer.

On that note I am well aware of the nightmare of paperwork required for any CT but that can be done while still attending my classes.

Can anyone please share their experiences, and if there are any suggestions to ensure a smooth transfer than I would be more than happy to hear them.

Thank you in advance

http://www.rmc.ca/ji-ir/ji-ir-eng.asp

Everything you need to know and more.

Also, swearing in is usually within the first 2 weeks of July.

-Alex

thats perfect, I really appreciate the link.

Kind of seems stupid that I didn't think of looking for that before.

there is one thing that I forgot to add, I will be attending a civilian University does that have any bearing on the information in those JI's? that specific set seem directed towards RMC bound students

When I went through mine (2010) I still had to go to the RMC Recruit Camp, and there were a few other ex-reservists who were on it as well for varying reasons.  I would expect that you won't, given your PLQ, but you can never be sure.  If you have a training conflict for a final exam, you should be able to get your school to allow you to take it at a later (or earlier) date if you inform the instructor and the registrar early enough, or they'll let you take it at RMC.

Expect your COS to take place around the beginning of August, when you will inclear to your new base.  If you aren't going to the Recruit Camp, you'll probably just wind up at home after the first day doing absolutely nothing until school starts.

That is the best information that I have.  Best of luck.

thank you, very helpful! that covers my main thoughts and I've chosen a course of action.

If anyone else is willing to elaborate on their experiences, it would be great to know what CT civ U students can expect with regards to employment over the summer.

I have been thinking about asking to remain with my unit considering it is close and they wont have to worry about travel expenses.

I have no doubt this is information that can been attained during my orientation, however at the risk of being over zealous, and for the benefit of remaining well informed, could anybody fill in some blanks; share experience and inform me if i am able to discuss the option of working with my unit over the summer for convenience?

thanks again

stretch said:
thank you, very helpful! that covers my main thoughts and I've chosen a course of action.

If anyone else is willing to elaborate on their experiences, it would be great to know what CT civ U students can expect with regards to employment over the summer.

I have been thinking about asking to remain with my unit considering it is close and they wont have to worry about travel expenses.

I have no doubt this is information that can been attained during my orientation, however at the risk of being over zealous, and for the benefit of remaining well informed, could anybody fill in some blanks; share experience and inform me if i am able to discuss the option of working with my unit over the summer for convenience?

thanks again

The biggest issue there is that your unit does not have a University Liaison Officer, nor the experience with handling textbook claims, etc.  I highly doubt that they would let you, and if they did, it may very well turn into an administrative nightmare.  I would have preferred to be based in Windsor with my old unit, but I didn't try changing bases, so I'm at ASU London...it is a major PITA for forms.

Between your first and second years, you will be sent on BMOQ.  In the following summers, it will be either Phase 2, SOLET (Second Official Language Education and Training), and OJT, possibly with Phase 3 or 4.

This past year, anyone who had a certain level of experience (I forget what the requirement was) was bypassed from the recruit camp so you will probably be skipping that.  It's just lecture material/basic instruction from the first few weeks of BMOQ anyways.

Your PLQ probably gets you a BMOQ bypass, but that doesn't matter until your second summer anyways.  First year ROTP candidates do their BMOQ after their first year of school. 

I don't know what happens for CT Civ U cadets.  Guys off civi street get enrolled and placed on LWOP until they actually start doing some work, be it paperwork at the ULO or their recruit camp, and then they start school in September.

Great insights, it would seem that I have reached that point in the CF where you dont exactly know what your going to be doing until you've already done it; that is the best I could hope for.

thank you for the input

I went through the UTPNCM thing last year and was left almost completely in the dark except for these forums.

Have you accepted the offer?  As in, a message has been sent to Ottawa in reply to their offer?  If so, you can now get your unit to request a PLAR from CDA for bypassing BMOQ.  Once granted it will go on your MPRR, and your subsidized education manger (SEM) will be aware of it for future coursing purposes.  That is also done by message.

Summer employment is coordinated through your area university liaison officer (ULO).  I don't know where you're going to school, if it's the same area as your location now, but you might just want to go introduce yourself to him or her one day soon if it's feasible.  You'll get info straight from the horse's mouth. 

Through my ULO office, if you're not being sent on course it will be 85% your responsibility to coordinate your summer employment (contact the unit you want to work for, etc).  It's one guy dealing with 60+ post secondary students so you need to take a lot of the load for your own career out here.  Could be different where you are.  Coursing is done through the SEM via whomever is in charge of your occupation's training - you'll be done through the AF pilot training shop at 2 CAD.  Messages come to the ULO and will be passed to you.

You in particular probably won't be on any courses till summer after 3rd year for PFT, except for maybe language training (although we were told that has mostly been kiboshed for civy-u students).  It is theoretically possible to work for your reserve unit for this summer, if they will take you.  I worked at my old navy unit last summer after switching over - it was just easier because it was such a short period of time (you have to burn most of your leave over the summer).  This summer I'm at a maritime helicopter unit, something I set up myself and got approved by my SEM and 2 CAD.

That is almost bang on to what I'm looking for, thank you

I got a call and a brief email from D mil C7 saying that I was selected and she would be sending an offer in the mail within 2 weeks and to not email or call her until I received it. I have no idea what to expect in the letter but more than that I don't want to miss the boat or deadline of replying (wouldn't be the first time I've been screwed by snail mail), so I'm a little overly anxious to get the info and letter asap so I know who to contact to reply with my acceptance.

Thank you for the heads up on the PLAR even though I haven't sent my reply yet I think I will talk to a few people in my BOR and tell them to get the paperwork ready (even if that means just printing it out).

I'll do my best to inquire about and contact my ULO (I attend U of T by the way but I live in Brampton). I have no doubt that I will be getting to know him well based on the amount of contact you have mentioned and theres no reason why I shouldn't start now. The more were secure with one another the more trust there can be.

Whenever PFT starts I'll be ready for it, sooner is always better than later. I wonder why they would take out language training for Civ U students......

And thanks again, Agreed these forums are a pretty amazing tool (when used properly)

Just do what D Mil C said.  The message will come, and it will have the effective dates and say they want an acceptance message NLT that date.  As others have said, it's normally 1 July so you have lots of time.

Defence Academy's budget was hit pretty hard, so they cut out sending people to St. Jean every summer for language training.  I guess they figure there are enough opportunities for SLT later in your career. 

There's very little paperwork for the PLAR, it's a two-line message to CDA.  Your OR can put it together super quick.

Have fun and congrats.

Back