• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CT -- Reserves into ROTP/RMC (merged)

So I am currently a dedicated artillery reservist (trade qualified) doing my BscNursing degree at UBC (first year almost done! YAY~)
I applied for ROTP-CT undergraduate 2013-2014 Air Force Nursing Officer, and have received an interview two months ago. They did not tell me how I did right after the interview, however I called CFRC VAN for inquires 2 months later, and the recruiter checked my files and told me that my interview and personality test are pretty competitive.  (Yay once again)
So my questions are:
1. Anyone could tell me, since my interview & all those things are “pretty competitive”.  How likely (compare to civilians & others) is my ROTP Nursing dream.
2. As a reservist, does it increase your chance to get accepted?
3. What other factors (besides your interview & personality tests) would be considered by Ottawa to make their final decisions?
4. When will Ottawa announce the result? (approximated dates)
5. I am currently a Gnr/Pte (T) in the reserve, what would my pay check look like as an OCADT? Will I get a Pte pay scale, or just basic OCADT pay? (So I can have a brief overlook on my finance)
- (I forgot to ask the recruiter these questions  because I was happy with my ‘pretty competitive’ result) :p 
- [I did not join the military for the $, I joined the military for service and career.]

I think it is good idea to answer the question in order of 1.2.3.4.5 easier for me and other people 

Thanks, ~~ and hopefully you all have good luck on your military careers~

oscarmu272508823 said:
So I am currently a dedicated artillery reservist (trade qualified) doing my BscNursing degree at UBC (first year almost done! YAY~)
I applied for ROTP-CT undergraduate 2013-2014 Air Force Nursing Officer, and have received an interview two months ago. They did not tell me how I did right after the interview, however I called CFRC VAN for inquires 2 months later, and the recruiter checked my files and told me that my interview and personality test are pretty competitive.  (Yay once again)
So my questions are:
1. Anyone could tell me, since my interview & all those things are “pretty competitive”.  How likely (compare to civilians & others) is my ROTP Nursing dream.
2. As a reservist, does it increase your chance to get accepted?
3. What other factors (besides your interview & personality tests) would be considered by Ottawa to make their final decisions?
4. When will Ottawa announce the result? (approximated dates)
5. I am currently a Gnr/Pte (T) in the reserve, what would my pay check look like as an OCADT? Will I get a Pte pay scale, or just basic OCADT pay? (So I can plan ahead my finance)
- (I forgot to ask the recruiter these questions  because I was happy with my ‘pretty competitive’ result) :p 
- [I did not join the military for the $, I joined the military for service and career.]

I think it is good idea to answer the question in order of 1.2.3.4.5 easier for me and other people 

Thanks, ~~ and hopefully you all have good luck on your military careers~

1-2: Nobody can really comment on the competitiveness of your file. Being a reservist won't hurt, however as a Pte you aren't exactly standing on a ton of experience that would carry weight.
3: Intake numbers  needed for the trade for the year, how many are to be internal versus external, likely your academics, etc etc.
4: Ottawa will announce the result when they decide to. Don't hold your breath waiting for it.
5: You may or may not get to keep your current pay. When are you up for Bdr? I have known several people to make Cpl before switching to ROTP who kept their pay. I don't have a firm idea of the exact policy on this. Don't let yourself 'plan ahead' based on anything short of a real policy document, or even better, your component transfer offer.

Brihard said:
1-2: Nobody can really comment on the competitiveness of your file. Being a reservist won't hurt, however as a Pte you aren't exactly standing on a ton of experience that would carry weight.
3: Intake numbers  needed for the trade for the year, how many are to be internal versus external, likely your academics, etc etc.
4: Ottawa will announce the result when they decide to. Don't hold your breath waiting for it.
5: You may or may not get to keep your current pay. When are you up for Bdr? I have known several people to make Cpl before switching to ROTP who kept their pay. I don't have a firm idea of the exact policy on this. Don't let yourself 'plan ahead' based on anything short of a real policy document, or even better, your component transfer offer.

Your info is really helpful and ur right I should not 'plan ahead'. I just want to have a brief overlook. Thanks for your answer ~

I am at RMC now, I transferred as a Cpl but there is an OCdt here who did barely a year in the reserves before switching and he has a significant pay jump over the other Cadets.

I didn't ask him in detail, obviously, how much he gets paid, however even though it is more than the average OCdt, don't expect much.

There are a lot of deductions from our pay and along with the taxes, it can sometimes be quite a shock if you "count your eggs before they hatch"

I don't have experience on a personal level but:

An aquantaince of mine that is serving with a reserve Unit was having quite the time doing a "component transfer" to the regular force, to become an officer, as an NCM.  It may just seem like it but it might be easier to get accepted to ROTP off the street vice a component transfer from Reserve to Reg.

I can tell you from a personal standpoint, it would probably be easier for me to get out and apply for ROTP than competing for UTPNCM spot like I am now. 

Nothing is guaranteed though and experiences do vary!  Good luck!

Afternoon everyone,

I just had a couple questions about some things in my offer. I am Pte BMQ trained, and I'm curious about what Incentive Credits, Time Credit for Promotion and Enter Promotion Zone are.

Thanks

Incentive credits: the number of days you're being given towards your next incentive pay category (IPC).

Time credit for promotion: the number of days you're being given towards your next promotion.

Enter promotion zone: when you're promotable to the next rank

Morning all,

I'm off to Kingston soon for RMC and I'm a PRes CT to ROTP. I was in the Army element but changed over to Air force now. My question is, is that my unit is telling me that I go into the clothing stores and exchange my shirts for blue ones, return my MOB box, duffels and rucksack but would I not need that kit for BMOQ? Are these items re-issued prior to BMOQ or when I go in for in-clearance. The joining instructions on the RMC website say that I should be closing my clothing docs.

Hope you guys can shed some light for me, thanks.

As a CT to the Regular Force, you are required to complete all your CT paperwork and clear out of your previous Reserve Force Unit and that would include returning all kit issued which is considered an "accountable" item.

You will be "reissued" all new clothing and equipment after you arrive at RMC.

Good morning,

When I CT'd, I returned everything, save for one or two articles. I showed up to Kingston for the 2 week Recruit Camp "course" with pretty much just my combat boots. The positive was that I was issued most of the things that I needed, but the negative was that they gave me very poor sizing on a number of items that had previously fit well (CADPAT went from 7040 shirt to 7044...fun doing a swimming test in a sail clotth).

At the very least, get a copy of your docs, and separate what is not listed there. I ended up not returning some next to skin articles like balaclava, and thermal underwear, which was never reissued to me, and some mosquito netting. I never closed out my clothing docs, and experienced no ill effects from it, although they are a little more cluttered than some others.

Good day,
  It has been a while since I've posted on here. I am now a fully qualified infanteer reservist and am in first year university. I am looking forward in component transferring soon to the Reg force as an infantry officer through the ROTP program. I was a couple points off qualifying for officer one year ago when I wrote my CFAT for the PRes, so I hope to re write the CFAT and qualify as an officer. I hope to get some progress and update everyone on my progress. From what I understood, I must deal with my BOR whom will transfer my application to the CFRC. Anyone got tips/their 2 cents? Thanks!

I've done this.

What you need is to put in a component transfer on the dwan. It is a very simple form that is only 2 pages. You provide some tombstone data and then select the trade you wish to apply for. You must also select the officer entry plan as ROTP.

When I did it back in 2012 I never dealt with the Cfrc directly and just  kept in contact with my file manager at Dmil-c7. However Dmil-c7 is no longer in charge of cts the responsibility is now DCMPG-5 I believe all the rc does is book interviews/medicals If  required. Hopefully someone can confirm this.

One last point DCMPG 5 is understaffed due to budget cuts so until they start contacting you likely won't be able to communicate with them. If you try you will get a message sent back saying "due to budget cuts we can't give individual sit reps at this time ."

If you update something on your MPRR i.e fitness/transcripts I'd get your chief clerk to contact DCMPG 5 on your behalf to ensure they have that.

To start this either contact your COC or chief clerk.

Cheers and good luck.

Edit:changed a few words around

Good day everyone,
I have submitted my CT online at my BOR about 2 days ago, and received a confirmation email from Ottawa with my MPRR attached. I was asked to email a copy of my high school transcript. I am currently in first year university, and upon reviewing my MPRR that was attached to the email, under the education section it says I have only completed 2 years of high school. Would just sending my transcript be sufficient for them to know I've completed high school? Also is receiving the confirmation the next day a good sign or the process going fast? Thanks!

Send them what they asked, and then go to your BOR with your High School diploma in hand, your clerks can update that you are completed HS.

I created a new post after looking though all the treads and not finding any information pertaining to my questions. I apologize if I missed a similar post.

I joined the reserves 3 years ago to an armoured recce unit as an NCM. During this time I have been attending a civi university, and I am currently in second year. I have now applied to the ROTP - Undergraduate to become an armoured officer. If I do get accepted to this program what are the chances that they will keep me at the university I am attending now for my last two years? Also would I keep the Cpl pay that I am getting now, or would I be paid the same amout as a new OC? And last thing is would I have to complete BMOQ and BMOQ-L, if I have already completed BMQ, and BMQ-L?

I really appreciate all responses. Thank you   

crewman4l said:
If I do get accepted to this program what are the chances that they will keep me at the university I am attending now for my last two years? Also would I keep the Cpl pay that I am getting now, or would I be paid the same amout as a new OC? And last thing is would I have to complete BMOQ and BMOQ-L, if I have already completed BMQ, and BMQ-L?
1) No idea how likely it is that you would get to stay at Civ U.  Many have tried and still ended up at RMC, but obviously there is a possibility.  If I were to guess, I would say that 2 years probably gives you a decent shot at staying there, but that's a guess.

2) I don't know if you would move laterally into the Reg Force Cpl pay bracket, but I do know that there is a way that they calculate your pay which includes your prior service.  Having been a Cpl, you will make a lot more money than OCdts off civi street.

3) A PLAR will be done which will assess your previous courses and their equivalencies in the officer stream.  You will probably have to complete at least part of BMOQ (BMQ does not cover the 'Leadership' aspect), and all of BMOQ-L.  I know several former Cpls who have gone this route, both completing a shortened (7 week, IIRC) BMOQ and all of BMOQ-L.

I after completing my second year of university, I was accepted into ROTP and remained at my civi institution. There were former Cpls and a MCpl on my BMOQ course that stayed at their pay grades. Because they had already completed BMQ, they came into my pl in mod 2 and only had to do 7 of the 14 weeks for the leadership component of the course.

I went to university with a guy that CT'd from res ncm to ROTP

He was paid at his NCM rate.

As for BMOQ, unless you have PLQ completed......expect to have to do some of it

So I was wondering some things as I'm on class B contract and I've asked around my OR for information, and didn't get much due to the lack of staff.

I've already missed the deadline to apply for ROTP through the DWAN. I'm clear with that.

I applied to several civilian universities, and I will most likely attend university in September. I'm requesting an attach posting to another unit, and I was wondering, if I wanted to apply for ROTP for the next academic year, do I apply through my home unit or the unit I am attached to?

Second, I will be completely DP1 Veh Tech qualified by the end of this summer coming up should I go on course if it's running.
Does the unit you are attached to have the authority to promote a soldier from another unit?

Back